It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: My WHS 2011 experience
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:06 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I use WHS 2011 and I like it. It is immensely faster than v1. I have to split up my video storage and manually transfer shared files to folders (drives) but I essentially did the same thing in the HP server. I never got the Media Aggregator to work properly on the HP server. I guess my media files were just too big for it to handle. I will never again purchase a production server without it having available spare parts to maintain my investment long term. I will never again buy any HP product, period. I own an EX470 upgraded CPU and memory version and also an EX 490 upgraded CPU and memory version. I like them but when the fail they are bricks with no spare parts.

Regarding WHS 2011, I have seen a few issues like the Media Streaming Metadata Synchronizer running in the back ground and playing with my music artwork and files so I turned it off (known problem). WMplayer.exe also ran in the background and consumed 50% of the CPU when it was not playing anything. I turned it off. By going into task manager you get to manage what is being done and turn off what you see is going wrong. I still do not understand why Microsoft believes media tasks can consume 50% of the computers brain while backups are going on?

What I like is backing up a computer and it takes 6 minutes when it used to take 3 to 5 hours in the HP Server. No I am not using a quad core, just an INTEL E6500 CPU. It is much faster and has worked very well with the exception of the above two mentioned issues. I have even had to restore the boot drive on a massive computer SSD and it worked fine. The instructions are poor and it will take some work on your behalf to figure out how get it done but it worked fine and restored a 60 GIG boot drive in 23 minutes over a 1 GIG Ethernet system.

I miss DE, it was simple an easy, but I am moving on and learning how to use WHS2011. I am investing my learning time into something that will be around and supported for years to come and my server can be maintained with hardware available from multiple sources. I am having fun learning and I enjoy technology.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Eidos for this post
yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:23 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

What's the best way to get around the storage problem? I have 56TB on my EX490, Why would I need to do to enable me to have at least as much storage on a system running WHS 2011?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:57 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

How did you tag on 56 TBs to an EX490? It that legal without being accused of "server abuse"? Ha.. Just a hearty joke. Hope it does nor offend you.

Anyway, I would be most grateful, if you would care to share your ingenious method.

Thanks