It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Grey Area question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:28 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hey all,

I'm really fed up with WHS V1 and I want to upgrade to 2011. Long file paths and file names always create trouble for me, and I'm just sick of it.

Now my question is, say for example, I don't have access to Technet, but I was able to obtain the final version of 2011, but without a valid serial number. Am I able to just use it until I can buy a license from MS? It has that 30 day grace period no?

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Grey Area question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I'd install the RC from Connect and buy the final version when it ships. Using pirated versions of software raises all sorts of security issues in my mind.

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jam3ohio for this post
MetaLRasaM
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:25 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

jam3ohio wrote:
I'd install the RC from Connect and buy the final version when it ships. Using pirated versions of software raises all sorts of security issues in my mind.

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't talking about pirating, the version I have is from a friend who has Technet, but he's using his license already. I also don't want to use the RC, because I want to move away from V1 and upgrade for good.

Basically, I wanna use the RTM NOW...so...I guess I just wanna know if I can use the Technet for a while until MS starts selling the OEM version, or should I drop the money and get Technet myself.

Pirating software? How dare you! [-X [-X [-X :^o

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:22 pm 

I would opt to run the WHS 2011 RC version and take it for a test ride to see how you like it. Its not really kosher for you to use the RTM Version on Technet if your not a subscriber. I have a technet subscription and while I have downloaded my copy and obtained the licenses I am still running the RC version until I can come to terms with what if anything I will do with it. Better to screw up a test version then to put it into production and rely on it.

Unfortunately for me my time has been limited at best and I have not been able to play with it but I make notes when possible and generate questions and thoughts for me to consider down the road. The point is try before you buy this is understandable but its also a good way to test things out. While your experience with WHS v1 may not of been as positive as you would of liked its also hard to say if the same would be true of WHS 2011. So test out the RC version and see if its of interest to you and then go from there.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
MetaLRasaM
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 pm 
Founder
Founder

Avoiding the topic of whether you should use your friends downloaded ISO from Technet, you should have 30 days to activate it with your license key, though to my knowledge we've not been told when it will be available for purchase to the general public so you risk running out of time before you can purchase a license.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
MetaLRasaM
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:34 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
I would opt to run the WHS 2011 RC version and take it for a test ride to see how you like it. Its not really kosher for you to use the RTM Version on Technet if your not a subscriber. I have a technet subscription and while I have downloaded my copy and obtained the licenses I am still running the RC version until I can come to terms with what if anything I will do with it. Better to screw up a test version then to put it into production and rely on it.

Unfortunately for me my time has been limited at best and I have not been able to play with it but I make notes when possible and generate questions and thoughts for me to consider down the road. The point is try before you buy this is understandable but its also a good way to test things out. While your experience with WHS v1 may not of been as positive as you would of liked its also hard to say if the same would be true of WHS 2011. So test out the RC version and see if its of interest to you and then go from there.

Thanks Comp1962.
You know, I thought about it, and I actually used the RC, but it wasn't polished at all. For an RC release, it was anything but. I figured if I want to really test it, I might as well wait for the RTM, that's why I decided to stay away from RC for my final evaluation.

For the most part, the RC was good for me, but as soon as I ran into silly problems, I decided to wait for RTM.

But honestly, MS really let us all down. We have a solid community and I bet you anything we did way more for them in terms of marketing than any of their ad campaigns.

yakuza wrote:
Avoiding the topic of whether you should use your friends downloaded ISO from Technet, you should have 30 days to activate it with your license key, though to my knowledge we've not been told when it will be available for purchase to the general public so you risk running out of time before you can purchase a license.

Thanks Yakuza, I figured the 30 day should still be there, but thanks for confirming it. My friend activated his ASAP, so no way of knowing thru him.

I got one more question for you, does MS offer WHS 2011 for their "Standard" Technet subscriptions or is it Professional and above? If so, then I'll just buy it. The list of products on the Technet site is outdated, but it lists WHS V1 as a product.

I actually had access to the Professional one in my old work place...ohh well.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:52 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Standard Technet has WHS 2011 and it isn't outdated. The difference seems to be now 2 Licenses are available instead of the original 5 but you can install each license multiple times for testing on different machines concurrently.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank erail for this post
MetaLRasaM
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:01 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

erail wrote:
Standard Technet has WHS 2011 and it isn't outdated. The difference seems to be now 2 Licenses are available instead of the original 5 but you can install each license multiple times for testing on different machines concurrently.

Ohh lovely :) Then I guess if I like it, I'll just buy the Standard subscription.

Also, I wasn't talking about the software being outdated, I meant the list of products on the Technet site:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... _List.xlsx
Sorry if it wasn't clear :)

Thanks again. :beerme:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

That's exactly what I meant to say, Technet is not outdated. It has all the old and new software for testing.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:13 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

erail wrote:
That's exactly what I meant to say, Technet is not outdated. It has all the old and new software for testing.

I'm almost done backing up my shares, once that finishes, it's trial time!

If I like it, then Technet subscription it is! The only drawback right now is the LEDs, but I guess I'll just unplugged them or something. Since I don't have my server next to me, the notification of the lights isn't a loss for me at all.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:48 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Don't forget, that While WHS2011 only has a 30day trail period, it still has the standard Microsoft rearm options. I have not tested it since i put my licence into "(test) production" already.

I believe you get 2 re-arms in 2008r2/2011? that's 90days you can trial the product out before having to license or format that box.

2011 also allows you to change keys later. that way if the oem version ships within your 90day trail, you can change the Technet license to a new key for fully legal licensing.

I think that time frame should give you a fairly good idea if this product is right for you.

Personally, I am glad I upgraded my 2 drive "dedicated WHS backup server" to 2011.
I am thinking about upgrading my WHSv1 "14 drive media server" to 2011 also. I just need to find a good way to work around no DE. I might just start mounting drives as "folders" for now.

1X Shuttle Q9550 4gig
1x i7-960 16gig
1x Norco 4220 E6550 2gig Areca w/16x2TB
1x SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-HF-O 4Gig 1x1.5TB 5x2TB
Clients:11 PC 1 Mac

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank JohnM for this post
MetaLRasaM
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:32 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

JohnM wrote:
Don't forget, that While WHS2011 only has a 30day trail period, it still has the standard Microsoft rearm options. I have not tested it since i put my licence into "(test) production" already.

I believe you get 2 re-arms in 2008r2/2011? that's 90days you can trial the product out before having to license or format that box.

2011 also allows you to change keys later. that way if the oem version ships within your 90day trail, you can change the Technet license to a new key for fully legal licensing.

I think that time frame should give you a fairly good idea if this product is right for you.

Personally, I am glad I upgraded my 2 drive "dedicated WHS backup server" to 2011.
I am thinking about upgrading my WHSv1 "14 drive media server" to 2011 also. I just need to find a good way to work around no DE. I might just start mounting drives as "folders" for now.

Thanks so much! I forgot about re-arming!

I just installed it on a friend's ex470, since he doesn't use his server as much as I do, and so far it's been a lovely experience!

The streaming features alone are worth the upgrade to me...uploading files by dragging and dropping is also a super neat feature!!

I have to yet to fully test the multi-drive aspects of it, but homegroups is nice...server runs really well on a stock (ram upgraded) ex470 and I have to say, not having DE is a pain, but if it results in better performance, and less corrupt file errors then I'll take it!

Thanks