It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WHS 2011 Installation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:23 am 

Hi,

Sorry if this a silly question in advance but I would like to upgrade to WHS 2011 as I have a Technet account. I understand the whole USB installation but my question is would I lose the HP console/dashboard? or how could I install it?

Thanks in advance

Yohanson

Xbox 360 Elite
Iphone 3g

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:42 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

You would lose all HP software, the whole WHS console is different and the V1 Add-Ins are not compatible.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:30 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The LEDs won't work either. The driver for them was written by (or for) HP and the source code is not available.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:11 pm 

I am sort of neutral here but if you have ever seen an MSS running with the lights not working properly it might drive you crazy. The hard drive lights would be off and the health light would be blinking blue. If this does not bother you then go for it but if it does then you might want to opt to build a separate unit for WHS 2011.

If you have and EX47x or EX48x and opt to install WHS 2011 I would urge you to copy the SMI Files from the server either before installing WHS 2011 and I would be happy to explain how to expose them for those who ask. I believe that the SMI Area would become exposed after the installation of WHS 2011 and if I am correct then you could copy the files from that area to protect them.

The reason why I mention the SMI files is that if somthing should happen to that area and you chose to reinstall the original HP Software the server would not be able to properly boot into its recovery mode. Having a copy of those files and creating a bootable USB Flash Drive and placing those files on that drive you could boot the server into its recovery mode and be back in business.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
MetaLRasaM
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:15 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Definately agree with this, the flashing lights would drive me mad if I installed WHS 2011 on it. I would personally disconnect the leds if I had to. I do hope that someone picks up the challenge of developing the lights as an add-in or update for the server. It would be a shame to see such a good device disappear.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Cougar for this post
MetaLRasaM
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:43 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
If you have and EX47x or EX48x and opt to install WHS 2011 I would urge you to copy the SMI Files from the server either before installing WHS 2011 and I would be happy to explain how to expose them for those who ask. I believe that the SMI Area would become exposed after the installation of WHS 2011 and if I am correct then you could copy the files from that area to protect them.

The reason why I mention the SMI files is that if somthing should happen to that area and you chose to reinstall the original HP Software the server would not be able to properly boot into its recovery mode. Having a copy of those files and creating a bootable USB Flash Drive and placing those files on that drive you could boot the server into its recovery mode and be back in business.

Would you be so kind as to explain the SMI files? I apologize in advance for 'hijacking' this thread; please feel free to message me if need be.

Cheers from Claremore, OK! :)
Dave

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:56 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

This to me sounds like a royal pita for those with ex48x server. I have V1 on an ex485 and was contemplating possibly going to WHS 2011 but from what I've read it doesn't sound like a pleasant experience to go through. I don't want to have to get a KVM box to be able to view the console, modify BIOS or muck around like that. I just want to move my data off the existing system to an external drive and install WHS 2011 should I decide to get it. This does not seem to be an easy case to do so seeing a) there is no console to view from boot-up unless you get a KVM and open it up/connect it up and b) having to boot via USB initially, why isn't it like the recover option where you run it from another desktop to do the recover/restore?

If there are other threads feel free to link them to any responses and I'll have a look-see. I will try and peruse the forum for more information as time permits as well.

Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I run an ex485 with an E5700 and four gig of memory with 2 2TB drives and 2 3TB drives and an EX495 Bios. It has been been a journey but I'm running Stablebit's Drive Pool and like the machine better than WHS V1 systems. I wouldn't have done the extensive mods without a KVM Box. It seems to be faster and much more flexible than running a vanila V1 box and Stablebit's development isn't even complete yet but it's very stable.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:11 am 

So I got the WHS 2011 Disc. Do I just copy all the files off the disk to a USB drive and install the same way as we did for the beta?
As far as the blinking lights, a piece of black electrical tape fixes that :)

Thanks