It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:49 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

My ex495 will arrive soon and I can begin the setup, but have question.
It states you connect server to network for install, can't you connect to your pc thru esata for this initial install and transfer of files?

When you have to install the server software on your pc, it's doesn't alter your Win7 setup does it? Don't want to change my current setup on my pc, guessing the software just install the client for the actual server.

As for updating the software for the server, will windows update take care of this? Guessing that since I am getting a new ex495 from egg, that HP actually put the most current software with the machine.

Thx,
Scott

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:50 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

After your turn on your server go to settings and run Windows updates until it states that there are no more available and also do the same with HP updates. You have to have your server connected to the network and to the internet to do this.

I assume that at this point you have set up your users, server name and passwords>

You can then install the PC connector software on your clients. Open internet explorer and type: http://server name":55000/. Select the windows home server connector setup and this will make sure that you have installed the latest version on your client after the server has been updated.

Files are transferred to the server via the Ethernet connection and it is best to use a wired cable but wireless will work well except for server restore. The eSATA port is for connecting an external drive or tower to expand the capability of your server. It will accept a 5 drive Sans Digital tower for example on an EX495 to add 10 TB of data storage. 5 drives is the limit for the eSATA and then you have the USB ports to use if needed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:12 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thx for the reply, will run with it.
About to get this thing started and set-up, but have some other questions.
Intially I am just going to start with the original HD it came with to get thefeel of the system and software. Right now my small vidoe collection resides on my PC and will transfer over after set-up. I only want to drag and drop it to the videos folder, and not use the media collector..is this something that can be doen easily? Will I need to shut off the collector after install?
I will continue to RIP my collection to my PC drive as ISO and drag to the WHS system for eventual streaming to my Dune Base. This collector and Twonky thing, do I need them at all, or can I disable them altogether?
And lastly, haven't decided on Zappiti or MyMovies yet, but will this ne hard to install on the WHS and keep updated as I transfer my collection over?
Oh, one more...if I use the duplicator initially, and the drives get full, will I be able to shut the service off and continue to use the drives that had the duplicates on it?

EDIT: Is the only way to transfer files to the WHS is thru network? Mo way to connect directly to PC for this?

Thx,
Scott

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:22 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ok, did the initial install, updated windows software and hp software thru the console..but I am getting a Network Critical Error stating about the HP Media Collector..."The version of software on 'mypc' is not compatiable with the server, plz unistall client software and reinstall it from the server"

I could use some help with this issue plz.

Also getting error messages about McAffee ready to install and HP Mediasmart web'sites/remote access is disabled.

I don't plan to use McAffee and may look at remote later, how do you delete these messages?

Thx

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:55 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Alright, I copied the software share on server and copy the connector folder to your desktop. Uninstall the WHS connector and MediaSmart software from Add/Remove programs on your laptop. Then reinstall the software from the folder you copied.

It updated and I reconnected to server, but still have same message stating client out of date.????

EDIT: I have updated everything, but seems the client software is pack 1 and the console software is pack 3.
Guesing this is aknown issue needing to be updated by someone?

I can care less about media collector as I will jsut drag and drop, but would like to get rid of the warning, or update the software.

Thx

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:36 pm 
Founder
Founder

A reboot of the server is required after updating your client software in order to get rid of the error message, if I recall correctly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:08 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Sounds good...but how do you reboot the server?... :-k

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:40 am 
Founder
Founder

Settings tab of the Home Server Console.

Thanks