It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:39 am 

ymboc wrote:
Seagate's AF drives have a 'SmartAlign' feature that takes care of partition & filesystem alignment for you -- no further action required.

That aside, Have you tried Seagate's DiscWizard? It's basically a rebadged version of acronis that should be AF-aware anyway -- I'm not sure but it may have some advanced options when dealing with bad sectors.

Thanks for the reply. If I end up cloning the drive again tonight I'll try DiscWizard this time. The first time I didn't use it because I didn't have two external drive caddies to hook up to my laptop and my desktop is a server. So I ended up using clonezilla on the server with the drives hooked up internally.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:50 pm 

Seagate DiscWizard finally finished and I'm working my way through the process again. On step 27.6 you copy the binary data to the correct volume. I noticed something here this time. For both the C and D drives there are records that already have matching data. These DON'T match the values from 27.2 and 27.3 (see attached). Would it cause problems to have the same binary data for multiple volumes here?

edit:
Looking further, I'm tempted to delete the volume entries with the matching binary data. This page seems to indicate that I can do that.

Quote:
If the MountedDevices key is deleted then new drive letters will be assigned during the boot process. It is also possible to edit the key to change the drive letter allocated to a disk. When editing the key it is safe to delete all of the \??\Volume{guid} entries as Windows booted from a RAM disk will assign a new {guid} value.

Although, I'm going to wait to see what you guys have to say before I go any further.

Thank you!
Ryan

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:27 pm 

This time when I rebooted after the update to the registry I left the data drives out and the system came back. I then shut down and added the data drives. The system is now failing to boot like before.

Thoughts?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:26 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Boot Problems:
There's something going on that goes deeper (and probably simpler) than what a mal-cloned system can account for. Maybe there's a bad drive in your pool that is hanging your boot (@ the bios stage). Maybe you haven't put the system drive in the 'system bay' (bottom slot on the MSS). Maybe you have plugged in both your source (old) system drive and your destination (new) drive and the NTLoader is trying to boot off of the wrong one. Maybe you only cloned one partition instead of the whole disk... etc etc.. without video, boot issues such as these are hard to troubleshoot so you'll have to work methodically & systematically to determine & correct the issue.

After you work out the kinks in the registry portions of the cloning procedure, you should at least be able to boot & have WHS properly recognize the system drive and its data partition while it also reports that your pool drives are missing.

Procedural Issues...
I'm not sure why you already have two matching entries in that second screenshot -- could it be you left the old (source) system drive connected when you booted off of your new (destination) system drive to perform the registry operations? ... or Is it possible you booted off of your old system drive with the new one connected by mistake (and did you clone the whole disk? or just the data partition?) etc etc...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 am 

My System is now working. See below for my responses to the issues you brought up and the ultimate solution that worked for me. Hopefully this will help someone else like ymboc's excellent write-up has helped so many others already.

ymboc wrote:
Re: Boot Problems:
There's something going on that goes deeper (and probably simpler) than what a mal-cloned system can account for. Maybe there's a bad drive in your pool that is hanging your boot (@ the bios stage). Maybe you haven't put the system drive in the 'system bay' (bottom slot on the MSS). Maybe you have plugged in both your source (old) system drive and your destination (new) drive and the NTLoader is trying to boot off of the wrong one. Maybe you only cloned one partition instead of the whole disk... etc etc.. without video, boot issues such as these are hard to troubleshoot so you'll have to work methodically & systematically to determine & correct the issue.

After you work out the kinks in the registry portions of the cloning procedure, you should at least be able to boot & have WHS properly recognize the system drive and its data partition while it also reports that your pool drives are missing.

In response.
1. The other drives are listed as healthy and running checks on them returns healthy as well.
2. The system drive was in the 'system bay' (bottom slot) of the MSS.
3. The old system drive is / was sitting on the dinning room table (i.e., not attached)
4. Both partitions were cloned and visible from both the workstation and WHS when remoting in immediately after cloning.

My Issue: (for people that haven't read the entire thread)
I used Seagate's DiscWizard (Acronis) to clone the drive but had duplicates in the binary data in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. I'd recommend anyone that has issues with the clone to verify they don't have the same issue I had. If you do, the following steps should fix your problem.

What I did to make it work
1. I deleted the keys from HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices that had binary data matching the C and D drives that had volume labels different than those from steps 27.2 and 27.3.
2. I rebooted with the system drive and the two data drives attached. System failed to boot.
3. I rebooted with ONLY THE SYSTEM DRIVE attached.
4. System booted with a bunch of warnings (2 data drives missing, backups corrupt, backup service not running)
5. With the system still running I added one of the data drives and waited for it to show up as healthy (took about 5 minutes)
6. Waited another 5 minutes or so to be safe
7. With the system still running I added the second data drive back and waited for it to show up as healthy (another 5 minutes.
8. At this point I still had all the above warnings with about 8 additional warnings about inconsistent data on the shares.
9. Rebooted
10. System came up healthy!

Thank you ymboc and dreamland95 for your help!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:50 pm 

wow - i have to wait a few days to get my replacement drive but i can tell from reading this guide that it is going to save me a lot of frustration so thanks in advance!

i didn't really want the hassle of doing a recovery/reinstall so i was planning to clone the drive (and extend it to 2TB in the process), but i wouldn't have guessed it was this complicated to make WHS happy. thanks again, i'll let you know how it goes.

(PS: this now makes both of the OEM Seagate drives in my ASUS TS mini (2x1TB) that have failed inside of 2 years. argh.)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:11 pm 

Hello all,
I am sorry for my first post being this way, but im scared i'm going to loose my server :(

Well, my SYS disk begin to fail a few days ago..
The SYS was a Hitachi 160GB, and i had a Seagate 320GB stopped.

So i made the disk clone through acronis.

I left the partitions the same way to make sure this method worked before i made arrangements in the SO partition and Data Partition..
I followed the tuturial, and i find out that my system would BSOD if i ran it through the cloned drive even after made the uniqueid change.
I booted the system, and after around 2 minutes of being in desktop the system BSOD'd

So, i made another clone to make sure the system would be intact.
This time i booted in Safe Mode and it would be ok.
In Safe Mode wouldn't occur any BSOD, so i made those changes in registry in SafeMode.

Then after all changes are made i rebooted and the system boot ok with one exception, i get that error of Backup is not working and also i cannot start the WHS Console.

Could you please help me in this process ?
Should i send prints of my registry so that you could help me ?

Best regards.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:11 am 

I finally got around to doing this, and I just want to reiterate a huge "thanks" to ymboc, your instructions worked perfectly.

My confidence in WHS is a bit shaken though. I know my drive had bad sectors, and I'm having trouble convincing myself that WHS did the "right thing" with the files that contained those bad sectors. I have folder duplication turned on, but there isn't an obvious (to me) way to say "recover data from the good drive instead of using the corrupt data". I ran chkdsk /f /r at one point and it did some things that I'm worried about. Oh well, I have two full backups on external disks (as well as checksums for a lot of my files) so I guess I just need to do a big recursive file repair and verify the checksums, then I can sleep better at night. But, I'm thinking RAID 1 is just a way simpler solution than folder duplication. Anyways, getting a bit off topic.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:57 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

bekax5:

Backup not working / console not loading suggests an error in the registry editing portion of the procedure... restore your registry backup and retry that portion of the procedure.

Good Luck!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:33 pm 

I repeated 3 times the tutorial =(
Still no luck, always get the Backup error...

I find out that in the "Storage Manager/Disks" the "System Disk" has a different ID than the Hard Drive had.

For example:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Home Server/Storage Manager/Disks/fbd097ce-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
This is the System Disk but:
749C9771
This is the DiskID.

Should there be any problem because of this?

I'm thinking into connect the Original Drive in, let the WHS do his stuff, remove it and make a new clone...

BTW, should i change the Disk InstanceID and the Disk Size, or only the Volume Offset and Size?

regards.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:40 pm 

Recently replaced the stock 1.5 TB seagate hard drive (and only drive...i know really bad) on my ex495 with a 2TB Seagate (not the green version)

I used a Thermaltake dual external usb 3.0 drive dock to clone the origional drive using Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 demo version (trial is 15 days ... hopefully won't take anyone longer to clone their drives) since it seemed the most tailor made for simply just cloning and adding drives. This program didn't have a problem with the drives having WHS on them. Maybe because they were attached externally and not directly to the board. I mention this as i noticed some had an issue with the software not wanting to clone WHS drives.

I did manually adjust the data drive partition to account for the larger size which the software lets you do but left the system portion the exact size as on the original disk.

Followed the instructions in this post and i was green light on restart.

All in all this post was a life saver i knew i was going to clone or bust but i'd have been fumbling for probably days trying to figure out what giving me errors after. This is getting the print out treatment. And i will take the hint and be adding redundancy post haste!

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 am 
Founder
Founder

I used this process again this weekend to clone a stock EX495 1.5TB Seagate drive with bad clusters to a Samsung 1.5TB F2 green drive. I used Clonezilla and had to specify the -rescue option to copy the data from the bad clusters. The process worked great and I only had to do step 25 to change the name of the system drive. :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:48 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

About ready to do this as I have had a failing sys drive since around the times the prices for HDD's went nuclear (due to floods). I have a new 2TB EARS drive ready and just reading through the notes. I plan on using CloneZilla as I have a personal preference for it, but downloaded the WD one just because I enjoy collecting software :crazy: I will keep my finger crossed and I am thankful for ymboc and everyone else as well for contributing to make an important thread such as this one.

EX495 info:

SYS Drive: (ST31000528AS) 1TB
IDE\DISKST31000528AS____________________________HP22____\4&62939C6&0&0.0.0
STORAGE\Volume\1&30a96598&0&SignatureB7A57460Offset50014E600LengthE3E0211A00
STORAGE\Volume\1&30a96598&0&SignatureB7A57460Offset7E00Length500146800

Registry info attached.

Attachments:
File comment: SYS_Drive Registry Backup
SYS_Drive.rar [597 Bytes]
Downloaded 863 times

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:58 pm 

salty wrote:
Oh well, I have two full backups on external disks (as well as checksums for a lot of my files) so I guess I just need to do a big recursive file repair and verify the checksums.

Well, the good news is, I did this and all my files were fine. It's definitely cool that APE and FLAC (which is most of what I was worried about) have checksums embedded in the files and tools to verify them. For everything else I did a recursive diff against backups. So, I was feeling good again... But now, over a month later, my server (TS mini) won't boot. I don't think it's related to this procedure since it obviously booted successfully at least once, but the drive looks fine in my desktop machine (SMART ok, passes WD diags, filesystem looks sane), so I'll have to dig around and see.

The error is the standard "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media..."

[edit: ok, I have no idea... I put the drive in my desktop, ran diags, ran chkdsk, poked around in diskpart (including redundantly setting the partition active although it already showed as active), then set it as the boot drive for my desktop and to my surprise it started booting. i powered it off, put it back in my WHS and it booted fine. I'm positive the BIOS of the WHS saw both drives even when it wouldn't boot so a flaky connection doesn't seem likely but who knows.]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:41 am 

Hi to everyone.

I have a WHS v1 made by myself with the following configuration:

System Disk - WD 160Gb IDE
6x 2Tb Sata Disks connected to the six sata ports of the Sapphire MB
3x 3Tb Sata Disk connected to a Promise Fast Trak Tx4310

Since the IDE disk is seen as DISK6 (not DISK0) my fear is that, if the system disk fail, I can't do the Server Reinstall.
So, my first goal is to replace the IDE System Disk with a SATA disk connected to SATA port 0, and, following that guide i think it could be possible, no?

But my mind runned out of paranoia so I thought:

What if I buy a second Promise Raid Controller to create an Hardware Raid1 (with 2 sata disk) and replace my IDE System disk with the mirror Sata?

It could be possible to success?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next