It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:22 am 
Founder
Founder

Did you get the UniqueID correct when you cloned the partitions?

You should be able to just insert your original system drive and have it come up correctly. Does this not work?

If you need to recover your data, here's a good guide that shows you how to access your data.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 573697777f

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:21 am 

I have to say, what a great Guide, you have to read very carefully cuz else you mess up i think.. but everything went well, i uses free acronis WD, and successfully replaced a 160gb wd with a WD 2tb Ears Drive, No error nothing all green! even after the new calculation of free space everything seems to be correct!

but i want to say 1 thing for you guide, its not always disk0 you have to take the numbers from, just look to the disk that has also a partition 1 on it... in my case this was disk 3, but the steps needed stay further the same.

Im now gonna boot the wdallign tool to see if it's happy with it since this is win2k3 with no EARS support yet.

Great Job you could not know how happy i am with you super guide!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:15 pm 

You sir are AWESOME.
I can't thank you enough for this guide. I00% successful.

I cloned my DIY WHS primary disk by connecting it along with the target disk in a workstation (Both IDE WD 500GB disks).
I used Acronis True Image Home 2010. I selected "Manual mode" and "As Is" (as to make a precise copy).
When using "Automatic mode" I did notice some slight differences in the target disk. So for anyone cloning to a same size target disk, "manual mode" and "As is" should be the best option because this way you get an exact copy and you don't even have to correct the starting points in the registry later on.

I did disconnect the rest of the drives in my WHS box just for the sake of safety.
All the rest of the steps went on without the slightest problem. I didn't even get a single error, not even the first time I connected the cloned drive. Even Disk Management Addon didn't have the slightest complain.
I then connected the rest of the drives and everything was fine.

Anyway, thanks again, your guide is great, you saved me many hours of resetting my server. And my server doesn't make these failing drive clinging noises anymore. I am happy.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:46 pm 

I was successful at cloning my drive and getting my install of WHS to accept it without errors utilizing your excellent guide.

Thank you SO much!

-KP

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:49 am 

what a fantastic article! Well done!

I just wanted to mention SpinRite http://grc.com/spinrite.It has rescued many drives for me over the years. I use it on all my drives once or twice a year, just to keep them in top shape.

One question: I would be interested to know if others besides johnnyOutah have had success using EaseUS. I have used their free products before and they seem really good. This could make the whole process quite a bit easier if the disk id is cloned.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:28 pm 

Very happy to find this artice and it worked nicely for me.

I second the recommendation of the use of SpinRite. My MSS started acting up, giving me errors when trying to access different parts of the console. I ran SpinRite and it found and repaired a few bad spots on the disk and solved the problem. While running SpinRite, however, I noticed that the drive had many (4M) SMART errors, so I decided I needed to replace the original 500M Seagate drive - which brought me to this posting.

A couple of notes from my experience:

I used TeraByte Unlimited's Image for Windows/Image for DOS to clone my drive. The clone it made did duplicate the Disk ID, but I did make use of the Diskpart in the instructions to extend the volume. (I chose not to scale the cloned image because I did not want the clone to have a scaled-up sized SYS partition.) When I restarted the MSS with my new 1.5T WD Green drive as the system drive, I had no errors at all. Also, the only registry edit I had to make was to update the name of the system drive (step 25). Everything else was already as it should be.

Thanks again for an excellent tutorial.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:20 pm 

One more comment - I just discovered that TeraByte Unlimited offers a program that they call CopyWipe for no charge that appears to have the same functionality as far as copying a Hard drive as their full imaging program. I haven't tested it, but it should work as well as the one I used.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:04 am 

Just upgraded all four HDD's in my EX490 to Samsung 2TB disks. The instructions for upgrading the system drive worked perfectly. Kudos to ymboc for his sterling efforts and taking the time to firstly dig into the O/S and work out what changes were needed in the registry to accommodate resizing of the C:\ and D:\ partitions and secondly for taking the time to document it so thoroughly.

Siezed the opportunity to fit an Intel E8400 (3Ghz, Dual-Core, 6Mb Cache) and no issues at all apart from a much quicker boot and much "livlier" response.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:26 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I've had problems with the System Drive of my EX475. Server Recovery and Server Reset have failed, (Server found, "Recovery had problems", Finish). So decided to try cloning the system drive, thinking that it was the drive itself failing, and not the installed system. The HP powers ON but for the system drive, the blue drive light does not power on.... stays dark, while all other drive lights are blue.

After following the steps outlined in this thread, I'm encountering the same issue. No blue light for the system drive.

Every step here was pretty well detailed, except:
Section 25.1 : "You can identify it by the key's name which will begin with the same DiskID you set in part 2 of the instructions"
At this step, the key's name does not begin with the UniqueID for disk from DISKPART. I notice in the screen captures in the tutorial that the key's name does not match either.

I just ran DISKPART again, and the new cloned drive does have the correct UNIQUEID.

UPDATE: I tried starting the HP with only the cloned system drive in place. Still no BLUE drive light. When I go to the console via RDP, the DATA partition is missing ...

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated... THANKS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:12 pm 

During the recovery the hard drive lights will remain off until the storage pool info is created at which time the drive lights will come on proper. If your recovery did not complete then that will explain why the hard drive light(s) remain off. Cloning a drive in this condition will only clone the same condition. Cloning the drive prior to the server recovery attempt would of yielded a much different result.

Having said all that, you could use the new drive for performing a system recovery but I would wipe if clean before starting the recovery and if all goes well you should be back in business. If there are issues with your other drives it may cause issues as well as it only takes one drive to act up to cause issues with your server.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:42 pm 

After reading this topic and after installing on my HP EX495 the addin-Home Server SMART- I received some errors (see attachment). I am assuming that I probably should consider replacing my system drive but I have some questions:

1. What is a suitable replacement drive for the system drive (1.5TB or greater)(Currently,I also have a jumpered WD Green 1.5TB drive as another drive in my server and was going to add a jumpered WD green 2TB drive)?

1a. Would this drive be a good replacement Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136592)?

2. If I am not concerned about reinstalling addins, setting up accounts again, etc and I duplicate my shared folders, could I just replace the system drive and use the recovery disc to "reinstall" the OS?

3. Should I swap out my drive soon?

Thanks.

Attachments:
File comment: SMART status of my system drive
smart status.PNG
smart status.PNG [ 60.07 KiB | Viewed 30614 times ]

Last edited by grafixfreak on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:01 pm 

If you are going to replace the system drive I would not opt to install and Advanced Format Drive like the ones you have jumpered in the storage pool. I would opt for a drive other then those type to make life simpler. Which drive you chose is entirely upto you some like to install larger drives others opt for smaller drives and each have their reasons for doing so. You may want to install the same or higher capacity drive to better maximize your capacity with the 4 drives you can install in your server which will provide you upto 8 TB of capacity before expanding capacity outside the box. If you have plans to do that then you may want install a smaller capacity drive. A good 7200 RPM drive will suite you well just keep it as simple as possible.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
grafixfreak
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:30 pm 

Would this drive-Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB-be a suitable replacement? Or is it an Advanced Format drive? I can not seem to find any information stating whether it is or isnt an Advanced Format.
Also, anyone have an opinion on replacing the system drive with a larger Seagate drive? I am a little hesitant about replacing with another Seagate since the original drive does not seem to reliable. Has anyone had any reliable experiences?

Again thanks.

*This is a very informative and helpful site.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:04 pm 

The WD1501FASS appears to be an Advanced Format Drive. Notice I said appears to be and I form that conclusion based on the 64mb Cache Size. What I was not able to find out is the sector size which would really indicate if my assumption is correct or not. Advanced Format Drives have 4K Sector Sizes vs the traditional 512b. This is the missing piece of the puzzle I am not able to find on the drive you have in question.

Here is another link which explains the Advanced Format Drive Technology: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/W ... 771430.pdf

You might try seeking out a 7200 RPM drive with a 32mb Cache Size for your system drive. What is clear is that Advanced Format Drives will soon be the standard as they are indeed fully compatable with the newer operating systems.

As for your reluctance to use Seagate Drives I can understand your point of view as I have stopped purchasing them last year but for me it was not a single drive failure I had a few and more in a short period of time then the couple drives that had failed on me in 20 years of use prior to that. I take very good care of my equipement and if someone were to say I abuse my stuff well then I have to say I equally abuse all my stuff but I am not abusive. Anyway Seagate is a reputable company and others use their products without issue. On the other hand there is not one drive manufactures that has not had issues reported by their users. So in all fairness there are good and bad experiences with all drive manufacturers. For this reason I chose to say to others chose a drive from a manufacturer your comfortable with. Often I will mention the drives in which I currently use which obviously are within my comfort level.

Getting back to Seagate they do have a drive that has caught my eye and its the 2.5" Momentous XT and the specs on the drive get me excited but because of my comfort level I have been reluctant to order one even though I want one really bad to try out to see what if any perfomance increase it might provide me in one of my lower end units but this is of course off topic but I just mention it because I am contemplating giving Seagate another chance. I do not believe their products are bad just I developed a phobia towards them and am just being over cautious.

If your only issue with Seagate is with only one drive then maybe your being abit hard on them but I can relate to wanting to install something you know will give you the best performance. For a year now I have been using Hitachi Deskstar drives and I am quite pleased with them and they are quiet and run 2c hotter on average then the WD Green Drives regardless of the enclosure they are installed in. Here is a link to a 2 TB Hitach Drive that I have been using and I use several of them in my servers and am quite happy with them http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Now their nick name is DeathStar drives and some who have reviewed them have indicated they are noisy and mine are just as Quiet as the WD Green Drives of which I also have several of the EADS and a couple EARS Drives. The EARS Drives are Advanced Format and I have 2, 1.5 tb EARS Drives running in my primary servers storage pool and they appear to be running just fine. The other drives I have in my primary server are Samsung Spinpoint F2 drives but they are there for me to evaluate and so far so good but I need more time to properly evaluate them.

I have other mixed bag of drives running in my other servers including WD Black and WD Blue of which I am happy with those too.

So which ever drive you chose for your system drive just pick one that is not advanced format, one that is 7200 RPM and has a 32mb Cache size and you should be fine.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
grafixfreak
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:34 pm 

Comp1962, thank you for all the useful information. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post.
I will start shopping around for a new drive (probably a bigger one than the one in the server already) before my system drive fails (if it doesnt, then I will probably end up with a bigger system drive).

I will probably use the guide that is available on the site to clone my drive.
Could I also just go the route of duplicating my shared folders and installing a new drive and use the discs that came with the server to put the OS on the drive (knowing that I would have to reinstall all my addins, create accounts, etc)? Or would this method even work?

I am trying to see what I have for options.

Thanks for all the information.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next