It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:46 am 

OK, so I've done this procedure once to upgrade the stock 500MB drive to a 2TB Hitachi drive. The Hitachi started to have problems so I decided to replace it with a WD 2TB drive. This time I left the partitions as they were. I followed the exact procedure and still get a blinking blue light for the system drive. I restored the config directory and tried it again and still get the same results. I'm a bit stumped.

One thing I did notice was that the key mentioned in 25.1 is supposed to start with the unique ID, but in my case it started with the original unique ID from the 500MB drive. The Hitachi drive no longer had the original 500MB drive's unique ID. I'm guessing this was due to upgrading to Version 3 after I had performed the 500MB to 2TB Hitachi, although I'm not sure of this.

Any suggestions?

-tl

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:38 pm 

First of all thank you very much for the effort that went into creating this guide, it is very much admired and appreciated. I just wanted to share my brother and I's recent experience in upgrading his system drive in his HP Media Smart in case it is of use to anyone else.

Part 1:
The original system drive was a 750GB Seagate drive that was becoming somewhat suspect due to some errors being thrown. The replacement drive was a 1TB Hitatchi drive that had been used for external backups. We removed the Seagate drive from the Media smart and hooked it and the Hitachi up to a different PC and then booted off of a V1.2.8-23 Clonzilla CD. The cloning process first copied the 20GB system partition and then the larger remaining partition, the whole process completing in around 4 hours. We then checked the diskID's of both the old and new disk and they both matched so Clonezilla seems to copy that information correctly.

Part 2:
The cloning operation did not expand the partitions to use the extra space on the new drive so we extended the D: partition using disk manager in windows 7 (I believe this is simply the gui version of what is found in the instructions).

Part 3:
We installed the newly cloned 1TB drive into the server and booted it up. Once up, all the status lights were normal and once in the console, no problems were indicated.

We continued with the indicated registry updates, first updating the name of the system drive (step 25). On checking the WHS volume information on both C and D partitions (step 26) we found that the offsets and sizes in the registry were already matching those from the WMIC output. Finally we went through Updating the System MountedDevices Information (step 27) and found that the information already in the SystemName values for C and D matched what was in \DosDevices\ entries for C and D as well.

A final shut down and restart of the server showed everything in good shape with the new system drive name displayed.

So in summary, using Clonezilla and Windows 7 disk manager to extend the D partition after the cloning operation, all we had to tweak was the system drive name, everything else that the instructions talked about checking/doing had happened automatically. Overall a very smooth process!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank mdmyers for this post
dreamland95, zrtom
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:59 am 

ymboc,

I have an HP X510 Data Vault that was delivered with a 1Tb Seagate drive.
I have added a second drive (WD10EADS) and all my shared folders are duplicated.

Since yesterday the X510 doesn't boot anymore. The health indicator keeps flashing aqua.
Because the system is still under warranty I have contacted HP. I had to place the system drive in a workstation and install the Seatools software from Seagate and perform a 'long generic' test on the drive. HP only replaces the drive when this test fails. And it does so i'm waiting on a new drive.

When the faulty system drive is inserted in a workstation it seems that it is possible to see the contents of the SYS-partition (20GB).

I would like to replace my system drive with a Tranquil Save Server Module (http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/product ... -1%29.html) but that only has a capacity of 500Gb in RAID 1.

Is it possible to perform your 'How to successfully clone and upgrade a WHS system drive' procedure on a new system drive that is half the size of the original one?

Has anybody tried this with succcess?
With success I mean without losing the user information, backups and shared folders.

Thanks in advance,

Jan

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:39 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

You can purchase this enclosure, it's the same thing. Just get your own drives. http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/05/30/h ... converter/

Since all your shares are duplicated, you should have all your shares on the second drive. You would be missing the PC backup. You could pull the system drive and add the new caddy then preform a server recovery. This will bring the server back up fresh but will not touch your shares. Just do all the Windows Updates and add the User accounts and the files should appear. You will also have to reinstall any addins that would show up in the Console.

If you want to try and save the PC backups, if the folder is not corrupt, the file is on the d:\folders\????8086... copy that off the drive then to the same location on the new drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:30 am 

Diehard,

When I perform a server recovery, do I have to do this without the second (data)-drive attached and attach it after the recovery is complete? Or do I have to attach it when I begin the recovery?

I have read somewhere that when the users are added again there user-folders would be emptied. So these folders should be backupped to a workstation and copied back to the server after recreating the users. Is this correct?

Regarding the Icy Dock enclosure, I cannot find anywhere if there is a maximum capacity for the 2,5" drives. I've read somewhere that the Safe Server Module from Tranquil PC comes with 2x500Gb drives because that is the largest capacity the enclosure accepts.

As you can see above I'm new to a WHS server recovery and want to prevent that I have to do this ever again. There is so much (conflicting) info on the net and I want to make sure that this is the first and last server recovery I have to do.

Thanks,

Jan

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:16 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

There are 2 methods to restore the server. 1st is the "Server Recovery" that will wipe and replace the system OS including all addins and PC backups and user account names, but will not touch the shared folders on the system drive. When you recreate the User accounts with the same names, it will point to the existing shares. 2nd method "Factory Reset" will delete everything.

In your case, you will be replacing the system drive, so not only will you be loosing the OS partition but also any DATA on the D:\ partition of that system drive. So cloning the drive is the next best thing to keep that DATA. However you said that ALL your shares are duplicated, which means they are also on the 2nd drive. But this does not include the PC backups because the PC backups folder is NOT a shared folder. This is why I suggested that if you want to keep the PC Backup, you need to copy them off the original drive, which you can do later by adding the drive as a non pooled drive and not formationg it and then do a RDC and copy the folder to the correct location on the replacement drive. Again assuming that the folder is not corrupt.

So you should be able to put in the new system drive and the existing 2nd drive into your server and do a Server Recovery. Then add you User Accounts and start all the Windows Updates and install your addins. Make sure that all your shared folders say Duplicate again and then the folders should start copying the duplicated folders back to the system drive.

Remember you can still use the option to clone the drive that this post is about,

I'm just giving you an alternative since you mentioned that all your shares are duplicated so you really have all the shared folders that were on the system drive also on the 2nd drive, excluding the PC backups. Also it looks like your OS is having issues so with a cloned drive, you would still be bringing over those issues to the replacement drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:23 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

As far as the IcyDock enclosure, your limited to the thickness of the drives since they are stacked and must fit into the enclosure. The larger 750GB and 1TB 2.5 inch drives are thicker so you might have an issue. But at least with the WeGotServed link, you can purchase and drive model you want.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:42 pm 

toddinpal wrote:
OK, so I've done this procedure once to upgrade the stock 500MB drive to a 2TB Hitachi drive. The Hitachi started to have problems so I decided to replace it with a WD 2TB drive. This time I left the partitions as they were. I followed the exact procedure and still get a blinking blue light for the system drive. I restored the config directory and tried it again and still get the same results. I'm a bit stumped.

One thing I did notice was that the key mentioned in 25.1 is supposed to start with the unique ID, but in my case it started with the original unique ID from the 500MB drive. The Hitachi drive no longer had the original 500MB drive's unique ID. I'm guessing this was due to upgrading to Version 3 after I had performed the 500MB to 2TB Hitachi, although I'm not sure of this.

Any suggestions?

-tl

Hi. Usually, if you clone the disk, and keep the partitions as they are (without resizing) - this is the simplest way of upgrading, as this only changes the disk id - which can be easily corrected by making 4 changes in the registry, with the added benefit that the disk will boot properly. Now, you are saying that you restored the config directory, which means that you have put back the original settings - so this means that the drive sizes are probably different to what they should be in the registry as well as the disk ids.

Does the machine boot now? And if it does boot, are the shares available? Before you restored the config directory - did you copy the current config directory? Because Power Pack 3 probably adds additional settings to the registry. I have been testing cloning of WHS in a virtual environment, using Linux and Seagate Disk Manager and am now ready to do this live on my MediaSmart server.

-John

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:04 pm 

jan.didden wrote:
ymboc,

I have an HP X510 Data Vault that was delivered with a 1Tb Seagate drive.
I have added a second drive (WD10EADS) and all my shared folders are duplicated.

Since yesterday the X510 doesn't boot anymore. The health indicator keeps flashing aqua.
Because the system is still under warranty I have contacted HP. I had to place the system drive in a workstation and install the Seatools software from Seagate and perform a 'long generic' test on the drive. HP only replaces the drive when this test fails. And it does so i'm waiting on a new drive.

When the faulty system drive is inserted in a workstation it seems that it is possible to see the contents of the SYS-partition (20GB).

I would like to replace my system drive with a Tranquil Save Server Module (http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/product ... -1%29.html) but that only has a capacity of 500Gb in RAID 1.

Is it possible to perform your 'How to successfully clone and upgrade a WHS system drive' procedure on a new system drive that is half the size of the original one?

Has anybody tried this with succcess?
With success I mean without losing the user information, backups and shared folders.

Thanks in advance,

Jan

Hi. Yes, it is possible as long as there is sufficient free space that the partitions can be reduced. I have been able to do this in a virtual test environment - using Seagate Disk Manager (Acronis for Seagate). I chose to manually set the partitions to keep the C: partition at 20GB, then downsize the D: partition. You could also allow the software to do this automatically but I wanted to keep the C: partition at 20GB, otherwise they would reduce it to keep things proportional. Resizing will require some registry changes to be made after the system boots up - just ignore the errors about the backup.

This morning, I took my test WHS server which is using 1x 160GB and 1x 200GB virtual disks, added a 80GB disk and used Seagate Disk Manager to clone the 160GB disk to the 80GB disk - I knew that the D: drive was virtually empty so no problem. To use the Seagate Disk Manager in a virtual environment was a little tricky because it wants to see a Seagate or Maxtor disk. I just connected an old 16GB Seagate IDE to the VMware server, and set up a physical raw device mapping to the Seagate drive and allowed my virtual WHS server to see this as an additional disk.

The changes I had to make are as follows (You can log onto the WHS by using remote desktop to an admin session):
1. Run diskpart, select disk 0, then the command 'detail disk' will display the new Disk ID. Note this ID.
2. Run wmic and the command 'partition get name, size, startingoffset' will give you the sizes and offsets
3. Using regedit, go to HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices and confirm that the \DosDevices\C: and \DosDevices\D: have the new disk id (although in reverse bytes) - this is automatically set by the OS.
4. go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Disks
4a. There is a subkey that begins with the old disk id - rename it to match the new disk id.
4b. Within this key is also a value called SystemName that contains the old disk id - change the contents to match the new disk id
5. go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Volumes
5a. One of the keys will have values that point to SYS and C: - that is the volume for the C: drive. There is also a value called Size - if this does not match the size of the C: partition that you got in 2. above, change it to have the right size.
5b. Within this key, is a subkey with the old disk id as the name - you will recognize it by now. Rename the subkey to match the new disk id.
5c. Within the subkey that you renamed, there will be a value name that is an offset that contains the size. For C: this is usually 32256 - the number that it contains is the size of the partition - if it is old size, change it to the new size. You don't need to do this if you kept the C: drive the same size, but depending on the software you use, it can change.
5d. Now we look for the Data D: volume. Similarly there is a key that points to Primary and D: - there is also a Size value - you need to change this number to be the new reduced size as per 2. above
5e. Within this key, there is another key - see 5b above. You need to rename it.
5f. Then there should be a value name that should be the offset for the D: partition and contains the size of the partition

Once you have done this, you can reboot the server, and it should start, and check Event Viewer\HomeServer and check after a few minutes that the Client Backup Service started ok - no errors.

There are also additional registry changes to fix the name of the drive - this is cosmetic and should be done, but not urgently.

I hope this helps you and thanks to ymboc for providing some missing information. I am going to do the opposite - I have a MediaSmart that has 4 x 1TB disks. I will replace the original 1TB with a 2TB - the easiest way is just to take the 1TB out, connect it with the new 2TB disk to a Linux machine (or machine and boot with a Live Linux cd), then do a raw copy from disk to disk - this maintains all existing data. Then boot and using diskpart, extend the D: drive. I have tested this also in a virtual environment and the diskpart takes only seconds and because the OS is doing it, all the right parameters are changed without manual intervention (at least for the disk id - still need to update the real size of the changed partition. At least that is what my testing shows. Now to bite the bullet.

-John

P.S. For a new system, you could just replace the disk, and then install a new WHS onto it - and save all this hassle.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:30 pm 

Hi,

Yesterday, I upgraded my 1TB system drive to a 2TB disk. Basically I used Linux to dd the 1TB to the 2TB, then fixed the sizes of the partitions after booting up and extending via diskpart. I also changed the InstanceID and ManufactureName values appropriately. Since then I have been experiencing strange things such as the shares apparently being disconnected, then reappearing. The same thing happens on the console, with the console being unresponsive for a significant time, often 20-30 seconds then ok again for a little while and then being unresponsive again. I also freed up a lot more space by removing duplication of a share that was using 750GB.

The only real change is the new hard disk, so I plan to shut it down, remove it and run diagnostics on it. If this does not show anything, I might downsize back to the 1TB which had no such problems.

-John

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:04 pm 

Hi,

It looks like if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. :wink: Ok - it seems that my 2TB disk is the problem. I imaged it back to a WDC 1TB drive, fixed up the registry settings and booted up, and corrected the mounteddevices. After getting all the changes done, I am back to green and everything is working, plus no delays.

The 2TB disk I used was a brand new Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166. I ran some Seagate Tools on it and found the first quick test took 4 minutes and the second quick test took 1 minute - very strange. I was able to successfully image it back to the 1TB so the delays I was seeing are not seen as errors. I have also logged a case with Seagate so will see what they come back with. This is also the first Sata3 disk I have tried and it seems also to be AF (advanced format), not sure if this is a problem with compatibility perhaps.

-John

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:27 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Good to know.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:06 pm 

Thank you! ymboc 8) I had to clone the hard drive on WHS for a small business, but then discovered "Critical Health Warnings" your procedure worked perfectly and enabled me to use the new bigger faster hard drive. I hope there is a statue of you in your local town square, where computer technicians can gather to eat their lunch :D
note to others: this procedure works but make sure you print it, read it and understand it, then write details notes, recording everything you change, only start the procedure when calm and refreshed, with a good supply of really great coffee :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:27 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Finally got around to trying this... Worked perfectly! :D
I went from a 500GB to a 2TB hard drive, the instruction were very easy to follow! :cheers:

Now I need to update my sig. :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:50 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

One succesfull main disk change here too. Thanks ymboc for guide!

Updated faulty OEM seagate to new Samsung! Now server works well again!

- 2xHD103UJ, 1TB
- 1xHD203WI, 2TB*
- 1xST310005, 1TB*
- 1xLP ST320005, 2TB
- 2xGREEN ST2000DL003, 2TB*
- 1xWD20EADS, 2TB*
- 1xWD W10 01FALS, 1TB*

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next