It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3.0 update??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I ordered my EX47x upgrade discs on the 23rd Feb and they too arrived from Holland yesterday. My server has the upgraded 2GB of RAM and 2.6 GHz AMD Athlon 1640 CPU already installed, so I decided to go ahead and install the V3 upgrade today. :?
The server was upgraded in 20 minutes, no problems whatsoever and I installed the client software straight from the server rather than using the supplied disc on three laptops and a desktop. One point to make, I connected each PC to the router with an ethernet cable rather than rely on the wireless link before installing the connector software and it went flawlessly! :D
The whole upgrade process took less than an hour, everything seems to be up and running okay including remote access and all the client PC's have been backed up with the new software \:D/ I'm still finding my way around, but so far, for me at least, this upgrade has been well worthwhile. Time to pop down the pub for a celebratory drink, :cheers:
Good luck to all those waiting for their discs, I hope your upgrade experience turns out to be as good! :sanjuan:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:05 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Curious..... When completed are the new services (Collector, Twonky, etc.) all ON or OFF by default? I think I would want them to NOT start doing any6thing until I have a chance to control HOW and WHEN...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:09 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
Curious..... When completed are the new services (Collector, Twonky, etc.) all ON or OFF by default? I think I would want them to NOT start doing any6thing until I have a chance to control HOW and WHEN...

For me Twonky was on by default. The database was up to date when I looked so clearly put no strain on the system in updating itself. It works very well
Collector was off and I had to set it up (unfortunatly it does not work properly and as yet cannot work out why !)
Converter also had to be set up and turned on. I have converted a few files for my iPhone but the conversions are jerky and unwatchable so far !

ern

Macbook Air, Mac Mini
Viewbook Win8.1 Laptop
Acer Revo W7 PC for recording TV

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank ern for this post
JohnBick
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:13 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:

On my EX470 2G ram...

Twonky was ON for music, photos and videos.
Media Collector was OFF
Video Converter was OFF.

I turned off Twonky but it was still running at 100%
I did a remote desktop to see what was running and found it was the firefly server.
I stopped the firefly server using the firefly configuration program.
Its also worth noting that there is a tick box to start the firefly server when windows starts.
I have the box un-ticked now.

The combination of Twonky and Firefly being on by default was causing it to run at 100% and making it very unresponsive.
At the moment the server is doing some balancing / house keeping and the cpu is at 50%.

I still have problems with the photo publisher not being able to find photos to upload to the photo viewer but that will be a seperate post.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank phil for this post
JohnBick
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:19 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

After several online chat sessions and several phone calls, HP is unable to give me a tracking number, or estimated shipping date. When I asked what the delay was they replied "there isn't one".

I asked to cancel my order and they would not allow me to because of it's 'processing' status. Not sure why an order that has not been shipped, cannot be canceled.

I wish I could find one positive thing to say about this upgrade process, but it is a complete disaster.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:10 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The lack of support from HP on this issue is amazing. After my order got delayed being shipped from Mar 2 Mar 16 and still not being shipped today, I called HP Support only to be told they have no ETA or info on when it is expected to be shipped. Being charged nearly $35.00 for FedEx 1-2 business days shipping (only option available for Canadians) and then taking a month to receive it is not acceptable. The support staff could only tell me they were told to apologize to customers for the delay caused by a 3rd party supplier and to tell customers to keep checking order status page for updates. This is not good business practice on HP’s part considering the months of delay in releasing it and now the month of delay in shipping it.

The Update has already hit torrent sites so many users might just decide to cancel their orders and get it from “other” sources to avoid further delays. :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:15 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

HP should seriously consider refund on shipping for all the delays.

Last edited by jumran on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:16 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

glide wrote:
HP is unable to give me a tracking number, or estimated shipping date.

None of the North American orders have been shipped so they would not have a tracking number.

glide wrote:
I asked to cancel my order and they would not allow me to because of it's 'processing' status. Not sure why an order that has not been shipped, cannot be canceled.

You can get MediaSmart Server Support division to cancel the order. I called them today and they offered to cancel the order.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jumran for this post
glide
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:34 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'll try that. I'm just going to get it from a torrent site instead.

This is the first time I've tried to give a company money for a product and they effectively wouldn't let me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:07 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

This might help out everyone waiting

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7491&p=61992

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:43 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Just received another update call from HP indicating my order was further delayed. My order date was Feb 25, 2010 with a delivery date of March 02, 2010. On March 02, 2010 I received a call indicating delayed until March 16. Today I received another call indicating delayed until March 30. In another 2 weeks they are probably going to call and say delayed again. It is ridiculous to pay 65.00 for this software with no choice except for 1-2 business days shipping option and taking more than 30 days to receive it. When I enquired about being refunded the expedited shipping cost, they simply said they couldn’t do anything about it. I am truly disappointed in HP for their lack of service and support on this matter.

Anyone else receive a similar call today?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:37 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

They just mail me. I ordered on 02/28 and on 03/04 got an email stating it would be late, but absolutely no promise of shipment. Checked today and still no ship date set. I expect to just download it from usenet long before it gets shipped.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:02 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7498

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:41 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, same boat, no known ship date, not even going to call ](*,)
The cd's will be a nice hard backup copy after we have downloaded it and installed it.

It is easy to rag on the big guys, HP Dell Etc. But really, the money they pull in on one QVC quick sale.
Shame!
They take our millions and leave us on the phone with someone that we can't understand.

Back to buildfing my own :beerme:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:27 am 

Hmm... I was going to order the 3.0 upgrade for my EX470. I was going to... but now I think I'm gonna wait a month or three! No sense in upping my frustration level when I've still got to work on some crazy ideas for automated server-to-server backups. On the other hand it's been 20 years since I actually wrote a substantial amount of code so maybe this will give me adequate time to re-think this crazy idea too!!

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next