It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:11 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:
the bios is seperate from the on-board flash... (the onboard flash is connected to the system's USB bus)

If you somehow manage to damage/destroy/replace the on-board usb-flash contents, your system will still work you just wont be able to restore WHS to the system anymore.

I don't know if anyone's found a reliable way to backup & restore the contents of the onboard usb-flash disk... should be possible. I'm interested in figuring it out but I haven't made the time to do so...

Edit: It just occurred to me you might be referring to a bad-bios flash... if that happens bring your MSS to a local electronics repair shop and get them to desolder the bios chip and replace it with a PLCC32 socket... then you can hotflash with another computer or alternatively PM me and I'll mail you a working bios chip or something.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the BIOS flash is just fine. The only thing I was messing with was the onboard 256MB USB-attached flash.

For whatever reason the mini-Linux I put on the USB flash causes the BIOS to hang during the part (I think) where it's detecting the drives. It seems to be ignoring DEL as well as CTRL-ALT-DEL.

I backed up the flash using dd. The flash drive came up as just another SCSI device, formatted as NTFS.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:29 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Just a feeling: It's probably hanging just past the post screen... after drive detection.... that's where it hung for me when I was trying different things (raid vs ahci vs ide emu sata)

I've been fiddling with usb thumb drives and the system refuses to boot off of them if they're formated in anything but FAT...

I have a freenas (UFS) stick that boots fine on another system but doesn't even show up on the F12 Boot Menu.... if I reformat the stick with fat or fat32 and load msdos onto it, it shows up in the boot menu and boots just fine.

Seems silly that the bios would check for a fat partition but there you have it.

Is your machined bricked atm? Hopefully you still have a WHS system drive handy because you could restore the flash image with a win32 port of dd... alternatively the system will boot all manner of OS' live-cds from a usb-cdrom plugged into the bottom usb port.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:07 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:
I've been fiddling with usb thumb drives and the system refuses to boot off of them if they're formated in anything but FAT...

I have a freenas (UFS) stick that boots fine on another system but doesn't even show up on the F12 Boot Menu.... if I reformat the stick with fat or fat32 and load msdos onto it, it shows up in the boot menu and boots just fine.

Seems silly that the bios would check for a fat partition but there you have it.

Additional Info: I was able to boot of a flash disk that was formatted with NTFS. I got the impression that the system actually booted (i.e. loaded a boot sector) from the internal flash drive, then switched to my USB thumb drive. This would be congruent with some issues I had with installing Windows 2008.

If the boot sequence starts on the internal flash disk, and that code only recognized FAT/FAT32/NTFS (say some NT-Boot loader type thing), then it would also explain your observations....

Has anyone managed to overwrite the internal flash disk with a booting OS?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:34 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

zxdavb wrote:
I got the impression that the system actually booted (i.e. loaded a boot sector) from the internal flash drive, then switched to my USB thumb drive. This would be congruent with some issues I had with installing Windows 2008.

If the boot sequence starts on the internal flash disk, and that code only recognized FAT/FAT32/NTFS (say some NT-Boot loader type thing), then it would also explain your observations....
It would explain some of the phenomena but I'd be surprised if that's actually what's going on. It's just that the F12 boot menu is definitely bios based... and I've booted off of just about everything with it... even PXE

To debunk/confirm you could disable USB support in the bios (since onboard flash is on the usb bus)...

Followup: I was able to backup the onboard flash today using an acronis boot cd... Oddly enough the onboard flash would only appear in acronis' drive list if I removed the drive from bay#1...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:24 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:
Just a feeling: It's probably hanging just past the post screen... after drive detection.... that's where it hung for me when I was trying different things (raid vs ahci vs ide emu sata)

Is your machined bricked atm? Hopefully you still have a WHS system drive handy because you could restore the flash image with a win32 port of dd... alternatively the system will boot all manner of OS' live-cds from a usb-cdrom plugged into the bottom usb port.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is unfortunately still bricked.

I tried a FAT32 thumbdrive in the bottom USB port to no avail; the BIOS still just sat there looking for disks and ignoring the keyboard. Plugging in the original WHS drive also did not work. I also tried messing with the jumper on the motherboard and pulling the NVRAM battery, neither of which appeared to do anything.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:30 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

You don't have video do you? If so, have a picture of where it's stalled?

Is it possible that one of your drives has died or the connection to it is bad?... or possibly the back-plane needs to be re-seated? (if you've had it apart) Maybe its hanging the drive detection?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:50 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:

Is it possible that one of your drives has died or the connection to it is bad?... or possibly the back-plane needs to be re-seated? (if you've had it apart) Maybe its hanging the drive detection?

Yeah, I have a video cable. I'll see if I can get a pic up tonight.

Even without any drives it still stalled. Pulling the backplane might be worth a shot though. Thanks!

Thanks  
 Post subject: Linux kernel config help
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:19 pm 

If you've got a good kernel config that is working (except net) can you please post it here?

I've attached my first attempt at a gentoo-sources 2.16.26-r1 config. But this config seems to have a couple of issues.

* Only 2 drives are detected out of 4
* DHCP not working on the internal nic, even with the { "HP EX470 PHY", { 0x004d, 0xd010 }, LAN, 0 }, patch.

The gentoo live CD properly detects all 4 drives but after I reboot into my install fdisk -l only shows 2 drives, which are the 1st and 3rd bays.

Attachments:
ex470-kernel-config-r1.txt [79.46 KiB]
Downloaded 594 times
Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:35 pm 

Anyone have any ideas what is going on with my kernel config only recognizing 2 bays? I've since switched the EX470 to Ubuntu Server 8.04 but I'd like to know what was happening.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:48 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I am also having weird DHCP issues. Unfortunately, I haven't spent the time needed to successfully diagnose the problem (nor do I see myself doing this in the near future). My Linux work is strictly experimental so no quad drive usage for me.

* Debian Etch (32 bit)
* Vanilla 2.6.25 kernel
* { "HP EX470 PHY", { 0x004d, 0xd010 }, LAN, 0 } nic patch
* network sporadically works

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:18 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

genpfault wrote:
ymboc wrote:

Yeah, I have a video cable. I'll see if I can get a pic up tonight.

Even without any drives it still stalled. Pulling the backplane might be worth a shot though. Thanks!

Sorry for the epic delay. Life and all that :)

Anyway, the pics are attached. Pounding the DEL key changes the behavior slightly to the second image.

Attachments:
File comment: Stall #1
IMG00061_s.jpg
IMG00061_s.jpg [ 36.95 KiB | Viewed 15333 times ]
File comment: Stall #2
IMG00062_s.jpg
IMG00062_s.jpg [ 36.41 KiB | Viewed 15335 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:10 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

genpfault: Take a look at the I have bricked my MSS... thread in the Hardware Forum.... ndenev is (unfortunately) suffering from the same problem...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:49 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Are you able to get into the BIOS? Perhaps you can change the boot priority settings?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:52 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Is anyone able to have their MSS Linux box work for more than 5-10 minutes? My MSS Debian box seems to freeze up sporadically necessitating a complete power-down. Once again, it happens sporadically. Is there some kind of watchdog AVR at play?

Is anyone able to have their MSS Linux box up for more than 10 minutes?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:49 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

cakalapati wrote:
Is anyone able to have their MSS Linux box work for more than 5-10 minutes? My MSS Debian box seems to freeze up sporadically necessitating a complete power-down. Once again, it happens sporadically. Is there some kind of watchdog AVR at play?

Is anyone able to have their MSS Linux box up for more than 10 minutes?

Mine worked fine before I diddled the onboard flash. Debian Lenny amd64, kernel circa 4-5 months ago.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next