It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:26 am 

Hi,

This is my first post here, and I want to start with thanking everyone that is working hard with getting the update to work on our "old" machines.

I know you are working on an Add-in for this, but I was wondering if you could post a step-by-step guide of how to do your repeatable, working install of the update? Yers, I understand it means some more manual work, but also we can all learn of it :-)

Thank's everyone!

Cougar wrote:
I now have a repeatable install; and we have resolved Alex's earlier error so that we can move quite quickly to get Part 2 of the how to documented, next stage will be automating this through an Add-In which we are working on.

I share Alex's view that we don't want to hack code for this install; so we have tried to make this as clean as possible, and not used any of HP's code (outside of the actual 2.5 update) to get this working.

I've been quite pleased with the results of the Transcoder, and just for kicks have run this on a 512MB system and it didn't really struggle. Outstanding is still the lack of status lights; but maybe we can sort that out.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:40 am 
Founder
Founder

Hi Thegn, welcome! We'll definitely publish instructions in addition to an add-in, in fact the step-by-step instructions are pretty much required to get the add-in right. It's taking a long time to get all the steps right, especially when HP throws a new update package in the mix and releases new systems, and we want to be sure to publish good info and not have people needing to perform server recoveries to get their systems back. Hang in there...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:47 am 

Thank you for the quick reply!

Ok, then I'll wait a little more :-) I got to buy another disk for my WHS today, it's getting full already!

Have a nice day!
Cheers,

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:26 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Raptor1 wrote:
in staples post the following line gives me an error about the 1.mst files been missing

msiexec /i "HP MediaSmart Server 2.5 Update.msi" transforms=1.mst /qb /l*V 1.log

where do i find this 1.mst file or how do i create one

thanks
Raptor1

can anyone help me with this

thanks
Raptor1

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

DesertRat wrote:
I asked because I found out AFTER installing IE8 that the Advanced Admin Console no longers works, Thanks

This add in doe not work for me now either. Using is seem to force a consul reboot
I have removed it until ther is an update

ern

Macbook Air, Mac Mini
Viewbook Win8.1 Laptop
Acer Revo W7 PC for recording TV

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:40 am 

chiledog wrote:

I am stuck in the same place. I edited the MSI to remove the check for the 2.1 software, installed JRe 6, ImageMagick, and Apache Tomcat. I get the same postinstall script error when running the MSI now.

Not sure if I have all the correct settings for JRE / ImageMagick or Apache though, might be something there.

Hi,

Apologies if this is a silly question but could some please tell me which part of the MSI I need to edit to remove the 2.1 check.

Many thanks

Dan

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:04 am 

viziare wrote:
chiledog wrote:

I am stuck in the same place. I edited the MSI to remove the check for the 2.1 software, installed JRe 6, ImageMagick, and Apache Tomcat. I get the same postinstall script error when running the MSI now.

Not sure if I have all the correct settings for JRE / ImageMagick or Apache though, might be something there.

Hi,

Apologies if this is a silly question but could some please tell me which part of the MSI I need to edit to remove the 2.1 check.

Many thanks

Dan

Dan

Hi, Never mind I've found it now and i'm all upgraded

Many thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:29 am 

Hello All,

I normally dont post, but I just wanted to say Thank You to all your hard work. As an early adopter of an ex470, it sickens me the way HP has handled all of this. HP should give us the option. I have only upgraded the RAM in mine, but that is sufficient to run 2.5. I assume (may be wrong on this) that once we get 2.5 installed, barring HP doing a hardware check in subsequent updates, we should get them as well?

Also, I am just confirming the MAC suggestion for the update without updating the server yet. Time Machine backup works like a charm!!

Thanks all and I can't wait for the Addin to make the install done properly.

Vince

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:52 am 

Hi,

Would you like to share with us how you removed the check and made your upgrade? I know I would be grateful! :-)

Cheers,
Thegn

Dan[/quote]

Many thanks[/quote]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:56 am 

Hi,

I've been reading this post with great interest.
I've already got my server in a recovered state with r1.3 installed.
I've also installed the pre-requisites talked about but when I try and run the msi installer cannot get past the 2.1 check and thus cannot proceed.

I would also like someone to share how they did this for learnign purposes?

Can't wait for the add-in/instructions. My iphone will get a new lease of life!

Finally the versions/directories for the pre-requisites is this important i.e. the magic...(sorry not typing this offline) - I can only locate a newer version - can I use this newer version but does it have to go in the old version installation directory?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:00 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

viziare wrote:
Hi,

Many thanks

Dan

viziare wrote:

Many thanks

can you share what software you used to edit the msi and what you removed in the msi to remove the 2.1 check

thanks
Raptor1

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:01 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I used orca to remove the 2.5 check

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:59 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Sorry guys; it's not the easiest of tasks sorting this out so please bear with us.

You can use Orca, and that's what I used initially; but we are beyond that now. I'll have some time to do some more on this tonight and will post an updated Add-In so you won't need that; and hopefully it will deal with some other missing elements. You wouldnt believe how many hours have been consumed on this so far, and I am so sick of installing 2.5 now! :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:07 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Quote:
I would also like someone to share how they did this for learnign purposes?

Hmm; ok. I'll have a chat with Alex and maybe see if we can do a little blog on this for when we release the final product.

Quote:
Can't wait for the add-in/instructions. My iphone will get a new lease of life!

More than happy for you to send it to me; and i'll give it that new lease now! :lol:

Quote:
Finally the versions/directories for the pre-requisites is this important i.e. the magic...(sorry not typing this offline) - I can only locate a newer version - can I use this newer version but does it have to go in the old version installation directory?

We've discussed this, and I've done both where I could get the same code; Java is usually a funny beast with different versions so I would be wary about using the latest. I'll post where I have got the files from; the most important thing is ensuring everything goes in the right directory.

If you follow Alex's post with his Add-In; you can start now. But the only part of his instructions that are a bit hit or miss is by using the installer. If you use the MSI (see first post); it should be relatively plain sailing. There are some post setup things to do; and I find more each time I spend enough time on 2.5 and not in-between.

Thanks all for your interest!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:32 pm 

Hi Cougar

I like many others are impatient!
You and all the others that have tinkered with this to get it working - I can only take my hat off to you all.

I'm interested in the msi thing so a guide would be great! (Wish I could have helped)

I did the following....
Extracted the msi from your intial post but did not install add-ins etc.
Had a fresh install of HPWHS Ex470 and installed all available updates. images the drive using Acronis....

Installed the pre-requsites (or what I think) as follows
java (correct version) to the stated directory.
Tomcat to stated directory(correct version).
Didn't understand the catalina part so simply created the directory in sub-directory in the location specifed.
(actually I downloaded the ex485.rar someone posted so I could see how the image looked).
Could not locate the ImageMagick = C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.4.0-Q16 version - current one is 6.5 ish so installed that to the directory you specified.

Then tried to install the msi extrated from your 1st post from the WHS desktop and got the error about 2.1 does not exist....So some steps obviously missing..

Looking forward to the Part 2....How too. with bated breath. Upgraded my 1GB stick (must have upgraded when I got it) to a 2GB stick a few minutes ago - Crucial £19. Might have a spare processor somewhere so could do that as well....

Paul

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next