It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:40 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I love the size and i love the redundancy (4+HDD slots), but this is what i would like to do with it:

Currently archiving my DVD using DVD Decryptor and Handbrake (PS3 present into mp4). Not sure how efficient this process is, or how it affects my AVQ (audio/visual quality), but I've only done two DVDs so far (out of 300+) and they look okay to me! Is there a better way i should be doing this?

When I'm done digitizing everything I would like to keep them in one centralized location (that is redundant), and have them watchable from my PS3, Xbox360, and iMac (iTunes).

Does HP's new 48x seem like a good purchase for me? Will it work with my mp4 files? If i should be converting them to another file format, would it work with that?

Kinda a n00b to this MSS world, so any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
-rudy

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:14 am 

rudini wrote:
I love the size and i love the redundancy (4+HDD slots), but this is what i would like to do with it:

Currently archiving my DVD using DVD Decryptor and Handbrake (PS3 present into mp4). Not sure how efficient this process is, or how it affects my AVQ (audio/visual quality), but I've only done two DVDs so far (out of 300+) and they look okay to me! Is there a better way i should be doing this?

When I'm done digitizing everything I would like to keep them in one centralized location (that is redundant), and have them watchable from my PS3, Xbox360, and iMac (iTunes).

Does HP's new 48x seem like a good purchase for me? Will it work with my mp4 files? If i should be converting them to another file format, would it work with that?

Kinda a n00b to this MSS world, so any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
-rudy

Rudy - first off welcome to the forum!! I currently us the HP MSS to store all my media that then gets streamed throughout my house. As far as you question on encoding to mp4s, it is just a matter of what extenders you plan on using. Since you mention that you would like to stream to your PS3/Xbox/iMac, the best bet would be to test out playing one of the mp4s you created on each device to make sure they work. If it works and you are happy with the PQ, then you probably have a winner (that is probably the biggest challenge when dealing with multiple extenders is the different file support each has). The mp4s would then be recognized from the MSS by each device for playback.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks