It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:06 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well the title more or less says it all.

I have now backed up one of my laptops twice.

The first time it took like 1-2 hours.
The second time it took 14 minutes.

Whats the catch? is it not a full backup? Does it use some of what it has backed up already? Or? (i have added 1 folder to NOT backup rest is the normal folders). I ask this because im worried that do I delete the first backup it will mess up the second if it uses some of that backup data.

Also when i look at the server storage page it tells me that backup only is like 26gig big. I cant stop wondering about that because there should be 3 backups of 2 laptops where each backup should be like 30 gig big whats thats all about? Is it packing the data?

Again if I posted on the wrong forum please move it. I seem to be having problems figuring out where things go :)

I hope that this question has not been answered before I looked in the wiki and on forums but to the best of my abbilties I could find nothing directly about it. But then again im not always that good at seaching for things like that :oops:

Yours Sincerely

Tass

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:16 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Whats the catch? is it not a full backup? Does it use some of what it has backed up already? Or?

First time it backed up the ENTIRE client. Second time it backed up only the changes. And the first time on a second client will actually be faster than the first one as many of the sectors will be identical and only need to be indexed, not transferred. (It will take longer than it will in the future, but not as long as if it had been first!)

You can read the MS Technical Brief on backups (and others) linked at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... pport.mspx

I'm worried that do I delete the first backup it will mess up the second if it uses some of that backup data.

Not to worry, it will only delete the portions that are no longer required for ANY backup on ANY computer! (Neat, eh? And very storage efficient!)

Also when i look at the server storage page it tells me that backup only is like 26gig big. I cant stop wondering about that because there should be 3 backups of 2 laptops where each backup should be like 30 gig big whats thats all about? Is it packing the data?

The largest gain is that it is not storing the same sector twice. If any sector is the same in any backup for any computer it is only stored once. The backup database manages all that for you!

Those Technical Briefs from MS will help you better understand your MSS!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:25 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thats not just need thats bloody brilliant! excuse my language.

Thanks a lot for your very usefull information and I sure will look into briefs :) see if I can understand it :)

Thanks a lot :D

Thanks