It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:29 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

i meant the console plug in...

which i believe i found via this thread

you never answered my T question above :-D

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:43 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Lazer wrote:

WHAT "console plugin"? I am not aware of any plug-in or add-in for ROBOCOPY.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:46 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
Lazer wrote:

WHAT "console plugin"? I am not aware of any plug-in or add-in for ROBOCOPY.

nevermind...i think im confusing robocopy with another plug in

now the T question....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:53 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

The "T" question answer is back there -- it got buried in an imbedded quote. Here it is again:

Lazer wrote:
sorry if im making you repeat yourself, im just making sure

what about the T part above? keep it T:\?

The "T:" needs to match the drive letter you assign to your unmanaged drive when you map it. If you map it to T: then you do not need to modify the script. If you map that drive as "F:" then you would change it accordingly. It is the drive letter in a standard path...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:57 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

but i thought in your first post where you have the script, you mention that the script assumes your target, unmanaged drive is E:?

or is "mapping" a drive different from assigning it when you format and partition it?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:31 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Sorry about that... The original script ass-u-me-s that the target drive is E: and needs to be modified in two places if that is to be changed. The modified script (immediately below) ass-u-me-s that the target for the backups it the T-Drive (T:). I was originally using E: as the target but when I encrypted that disk the encrypted volume became T:. After some fine-tuning of the script I neglected to change that in the sample before posting it.

My apologies. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

And I have corrected the first post to clarify the situation.

The key is that the target path has to match the path to the place you want the backup copy stored.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:33 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ahhhhhh ok, thank you for that clarification

and finally (and then ill leave you alone cause im sure ive been annoying the past week :-)...

what's all this hub bub about not running robocopy on sunday night? what goes on sunday nights? does the WHS do something then?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:40 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

something else i just noticed too....

i notivce the script is using xcopy. and thru the thread ive learned its faster.

is xcopy what i should be using instead of robocopy? i read your advantages and disadvantages post and its somewhat helpful

but since the whole day we've been discussing and ive been getting tips based on robocopy.....

does xcopy still do everything i need based on today's discussion?

ie only copying over modified or new files and deleted whole folders when the source folder has been deleted

if so, then just use the script as is ?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:58 pm 
Founder
Founder

Server Maintenance occurs Sun AM. I think robocopy is more robust, I use it instead of xcopy for sync tasks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:06 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Server Maintenance occurs Sun AM. I think robocopy is more robust, I use it instead of xcopy for sync tasks.

robust in what way?

maybe i should use robocopy too??

what times does this server maintenance occur at...specficially?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:12 pm 
Founder
Founder

If you compared the options available in the help for both xcopy and robocopy I believe you could learn a lot more. Specifically from the xcopy help:
Quote:
C:\Users\akuretz>xcopy /?
Copies files and directory trees.

NOTE: Xcopy is now deprecated, please use Robocopy.

By robust I mean the ability specify retries and waits in the event that an operation fails or times out.

Maintenance can occur any time during the "Maintenance Window" aka the period that Backups are scheduled to be performed. This is configured in the Home Server Console.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:17 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
If you compared the options available in the help for both xcopy and robocopy I believe you could learn a lot more. Specifically from the xcopy help:
Quote:
C:\Users\akuretz>xcopy /?
Copies files and directory trees.

NOTE: Xcopy is now deprecated, please use Robocopy.

By robust I mean the ability specify retries and waits in the event that an operation fails or times out.

Maintenance can occur any time during the "Maintenance Window" aka the period that Backups are scheduled to be performed. This is configured in the Home Server Console.

is robocopy's retry and wait option in that original script on page 1? if im primarily copying stuff over from one HD to another, both within my MSS, do i even need a retry and wait option since there's no network middleman?

since the maintenance window can be scheduled to any date.....why was sunday mentioned? was that just the specific day that one specific user in this thread had his and thus why it became "the sunday hub bub" as opposed to any other day?

or does it perform backs on a date you specify but also perform maintenance every sunday?

any other major differences btw the 2?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:04 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Lazer wrote:
what's all this hub bub about not running robocopy on sunday night? what goes on sunday nights? does the WHS do something then?

I don't think it is at the level of much "hubub"! RoboCopy has a lot more options than Xcopy, such as retries, erasing deleted entries, etc. (I.e., it is more "robust". But this comes with a down-side -- it takes longer to run, typically, in my environment, about three TIMES as long. (YMMV) On Sunday WHS cleans up the Client Backup Database, removing old daily/weekly/monthly backups as necessary. This has the effect of re-writing almost all of the files in the database every Sunday during the maintenance window. I find that the next time these are copyed Xcopy takes about 5-6 hours to run; Robocopy takes 16-18 hours. So on Sundays (after the normal maintenance and backups) I run the Xcopy version so I am certain it completes before the next backup begins -- and so it is not running all day long as well. This does leave a few extra files in the backup set. On Monday I run it with RoboCopy (takes 40 minutes or so) and all the extras are removed.

Lazer wrote:
is xcopy what i should be using instead of robocopy? i read your advantages and disadvantages post and its somewhat helpful but since the whole day we've been discussing and ive been getting tips based on robocopy..... does xcopy still do everything i need based on today's discussion? ie only copying over modified or new files and deleted whole folders when the source folder has been deleted. if so, then just use the script as is

No, Xcopy does not do EVERYTHING you want -- it will NOT delete a file from the target that was not present in the source. It will create a new copy instead of renaming a folder/file. (It is a COPY tool, not a SYNCHRONIZATION tool.) If RoboCopy, when running on your system, especially after the Sunday backup window, executed in a timely fashion (by your definition of "timely") then I recommend using RoboCopy. If it takes too long use Xcopy and, maybe, clean things up occasionally by alternating with RoboCopy. (A few extra files in the target is not a big issue for me; but it appears to be for you.)

Lazer wrote:
is robocopy's retry and wait option in that original script on page 1? if im primarily copying stuff over from one HD to another, both within my MSS, do i even need a retry and wait option since there's no network middleman?

Yes, the option is enabled in that script. Whether you NEED it or not is a decision you need to make based on speed of execution, accuracy and reliability of data copying, etc. It certainly does not hurt anything.

Lazer wrote:
since the maintenance window can be scheduled to any date.....why was sunday mentioned? was that just the specific day that one specific user in this thread had his and thus why it became "the sunday hub bub" as opposed to any other day? or does it perform backs on a date you specify but also perform maintenance every sunday?

The database cleanup cannot be rescheduled (that I know of -- but there are folks trying to hack that). It is a fixed day and time.

Lazer wrote:
any other major differences btw the 2?
[/quote]
Yes, there are a number of differences. Run them both in a command window with the "/?" option and compare the functionality.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:03 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

so say i use robocopy and schedule it to run once a week every monday (to avoid a sunday maintenance conflict), will it take 16-18 hours to run every monday? or just the initial monday and then all subsequent mondays will only be like 30 mins?

does the xcopy portion of the script do everything that we discussed about today?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:29 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Lazer wrote:
so say i use robocopy and schedule it to run once a week every monday (to avoid a sunday maintenance conflict), will it take 16-18 hours to run every monday? or just the initial monday and then all subsequent mondays will only be like 30 mins?

All the times will depend on the size of your backup database and the size of the total of your Shared Folders. I would not even think about Xcopy until you know that RoboCopy takes too long -- and you will not know that until you run it.

Please note that the first/initial run will take a potentially VERY long time if the data is not already in the target location. If the drive is empty everything will need to be copied. After that first run the backup database will be almost completely rewritten on SUNDAY MORNING (the time can be changed but not the day of the week). If you execute the script after the Sunday Morning backup window it will take a long time every SUNDAY.

Lazer wrote:
does the xcopy portion of the script do everything that we discussed about today?

Please read my answer to the SECOND question in the post immediately preceding this one.

--------------------

I've got to say that you are really studying this to DEATH. Your questions are getting highly repetitive and you really need to stop studying this and RUN IT. As long as the target is not your D-Drive or C-Drive the very worst you will do is put things in the wrong place on your target disk. All you are doing it READING your data, not manipulating it. And hey, it's a backup! If you do it wrong just delet the results, fix the script and run it again. And run it manually the first few times to get a feel for how long it takes. Watch for errors and look at the results log. This isn't nearly as complicated as you are making it.

---------------

By the way.... If you have the Remote Notification Add-In installed and running the timing of the BACKUP DATABASE BACKUP portion of this will become very obvious to you as you will get an e-mail message one minute after the backup service is shut down and then again when that error is cleared (by it being restarted). Unfortunately you do not get that luxury when the Shared Folder portion of the script is executing.

----------------

And one last reminder... DO NOT CLOSE YOUR REMOTE SESSION WHEN THIS IS RUNNING as the script will terminate.

-------------------

'Nuff said... GO TRY IT NOW.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next