It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:42 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Lazer wrote:
i basically want my music folder on my destination drive (my unmanaged drive) to be an EXACT, mirrored copy of the music folder in my shared drive.

so if i delete a song, when i backup using richcopy, i want to make sure that song is also removed on the destination drive. i believe this is the PURGE option in richcopy?

i also wish to make sure that if i noticed a typo in a song name (via the mp3's ID tag) and if i edit it, when i back up using richcopy, that it will reflect that change on the destination drive.

and also only copy over new or changed files and not overwrite identical files. im reading thru the help file as we speak but any extra guidance would be greatly appreciated

ROBOCOPY, used in the automated manner described at the beginning of this thread, will do ALL of this. And if you use it in the script it is automatic, on the schedule you set up. (I have one client that runs this every 30 minutes during the work day, alternating between three destinations (targets).)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:49 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Cliff wrote:
[Back to my original point, I don't plan to automate my backup process. I am using removable drives for my backups and these drives live in a fire resistant lockbox. I need to manually insert and swap drives to complete a backup of my server. The need to test for the correct drive being mounted and deal with user interaction and retries if the correct drive is not mounted adds complexity to the automation logic. The cost of that complexity exceeds the benefits of the automation for my situation.

And you certainly have a valid reason not to automate. I opted, instead, to get three high capacity drives, rotate them, and hot-swap them in the MSS. If I had to be swapping media I would have second thoughts.

Problem is that I would not do it regularly. If you have the disci-pline (and the time to swap the disks) all the more power to you! I don't so I automate.

Now lets get back on the AUTOMATIC BACKUP discussions, please...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:16 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
Cliff wrote:
My next task is to investigate volume encryption software to apply against these drive copies as they're currently readable from anything that can mount an NTFS volume.

I have been using TrueCrypt for this for a year now. Works like a champ.

Thanks, I have seen truecrypt before but had forgotten about it.

JohnBick wrote:
(What I REALLY want to do is encrypt the actual MSS/WHS "pool" drives. THAT I have been unable to accomplish so far!)

You'll need to wait for the next version of WHS, presumably based on Server 2008 and incorporating Microsoft's bitlocker feature.

Last edited by Cliff on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:17 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
Cliff wrote:
[Back to my original point, I don't plan to automate my backup process. I am using removable drives for my backups and these drives live in a fire resistant lockbox. I need to manually insert and swap drives to complete a backup of my server. The need to test for the correct drive being mounted and deal with user interaction and retries if the correct drive is not mounted adds complexity to the automation logic. The cost of that complexity exceeds the benefits of the automation for my situation.

And you certainly have a valid reason not to automate. I opted, instead, to get three high capacity drives, rotate them, and hot-swap them in the MSS. If I had to be swapping media I would have second thoughts.

Problem is that I would not do it regularly. If you have the disci-pline (and the time to swap the disks) all the more power to you! I don't so I automate.

Now lets get back on the AUTOMATIC BACKUP discussions, please...

Discussions go where they go.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:48 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

hello john, welcome back to this thread

any thoughts on my issue with rich copy not remembering its own backups?

to clarify cliff....

if i open rich copy and backup my MUSIC folder....if i delete or add or modify any file in this folder, richcopy recognizes it and only copies over the deleted, added or modified file. if i close rich copy and open it and back up again, it does everything accordingly

however, if i change the source folder to backup to say VIDEOS, then switch back over to the MUSIC folder, it seems to forget that i JUST backed up the music folder...so it just re-copies over the entire MUSIC folder all over again....as if i've never backed it up.

am i never suppose to change the source directory?

John does this happen with robocopy?

also, can you confirm that robocopy recognizes deleted folders? cause with rich copy, if a folder is deleted in the source directory, the destination directory only reflects the files WITHIN said folder as being deleted but keeps the folder there....empty

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:33 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Quote:
The way the sample is written it will copy ALL the Shared Folders PLUS all the client backup database. You can easily drop it down a level for the Shared Folders and copy only those which you wish to send to that target. You could, for example, back up everything EXCEPT your VIDEOS folder -- or even send that folder to a different target. And you could even take this to lower levels if you wish. I have one client that uses a version that sends her business data folders across a VPN to s shared disk in another state every Saturday morning.

And it CAN back up non-shared folders, including folders on the C-Drive if so desired. If the WHS can see it, it can be copied.

where do i set these options? in the script or in robocopy?

how easy is it to set up robocopy? i just spent all day on saturday learning and testing richcopy...are the options similar ?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:56 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Cliff wrote:
[You'll need to wait for the next version of WHS, presumably based on Server 2008 and incorporating Microsoft's bitlocker feature.

It is not at all clear that that will work with DE.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:02 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Lazer wrote:
any thoughts on my issue with rich copy not remembering its own backups?

One thought -- use a tool that works! Seriously, I'd prefer that discussion be in a separate thread, guys... If you want to continue that how about starting one on RICHCOPY?

Lazer wrote:
also, can you confirm that robocopy recognizes deleted folders? cause with rich copy, if a folder is deleted in the source directory, the destination directory only reflects the files WITHIN said folder as being deleted but keeps the folder there....empty

Yes, ROBOCOPY will remove folders from the target if they are removed from the source. (And it handles renames as well.) I believe this was also confirmed (by Cliff?) above.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:17 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Lazer wrote:
Quote:
The way the sample is written it will copy ALL the Shared Folders PLUS all the client backup database. You can easily drop it down a level for the Shared Folders and copy only those which you wish to send to that target. You could, for example, back up everything EXCEPT your VIDEOS folder -- or even send that folder to a different target. And you could even take this to lower levels if you wish. I have one client that uses a version that sends her business data folders across a VPN to s shared disk in another state every Saturday morning.

And it CAN back up non-shared folders, including folders on the C-Drive if so desired. If the WHS can see it, it can be copied.

how easy is it to set up robocopy? i just spent all day on saturday learning and testing richcopy...are the options similar ?

ok, based on everything, i guess i should switch back to robocopy. mr bick....any response to my above quoted post? it's about robocopy ;-)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:35 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Lazer wrote:
Quote:

Alll that is in the script, specifically in the call to ROBOCOPY:
Code:
Robocopy D:\shares T:\Shares /MIR /Z /COPYALL /NP /R:4 /W:5 /LOG:"C:\WHS Backup Logs\External-Shares.log" /TEE

You would make changes to the source by changing the D:\shares to address lower levels of the Shared Folder structure as desired (with corresponding changes to the target in the T:\Shares portion.

Lazer wrote:

All the "options" are right there in that command line. Other than modifying the target to point to whereever you mapped your unmanaged drive you do not have to do anything really. You can, of course, change the path and file name for the log file (and if you do you will need to change the rename statements further down in the script). All the options should be fine as they are already but feel free to look at the documentation and adjust them if there is something that would better suit your needs. (It''s all described in the ROBOCOPY help.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:49 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

gotcha.

what about the "COPY IF" options....like:

copy over if the file has been edited, changed or deleted.

are those all in the script to? or are those setting within Robocopy the program?

i assume they are in robocopy the program. if so, are those options similar to Richcopy and the do they use the same terms?

what about scheduling it when to run? also in the robocopy program?

so if i change the script to just D:\, i then have to change the T: to just T:\ correct? and all the folders in D:\ will be automatically created?

wait, does the T stand for "TARGET" or is T the drive letter? i thought your script assumed the unmanaged drive was E:\. just clarifying

EDIT: after some googling, seems the copy options in robocopy are just / switches that directly translates to teh command prompt robocopy which i think the script initiates. sooo.....is it safe to assume that script has all the copy IF switches i need?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:17 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Lazer wrote:
gotcha.

what about the "COPY IF" options....like:

copy over if the file has been edited, changed or deleted.

are those all in the script to? or are those setting within Robocopy the program?

i assume they are in robocopy the program. if so, are those options similar to Richcopy and the do they use the same terms?

what about scheduling it when to run? also in the robocopy program?

so if i change the script to just D:\, i then have to change the T: to just T:\ correct? and all the folders in D:\ will be automatically created?

wait, does the T stand for "TARGET" or is T the drive letter? i thought your script assumed the unmanaged drive was E:\. just clarifying

EDIT: after some googling, seems the copy options in robocopy are just / switches that directly translates to teh command prompt robocopy which i think the script initiates. sooo.....is it safe to assume that script has all the copy IF switches i need?

Alll the options are set with switches in the command line. ALL the options. There is nothing else. Period.

I highly recommend installing RoboCopy on your PC, opening a command prompy and executing "robocopy /?' to see detailed descriptions of all the options.

And YES, as I have said multiple times, everything you want is there wit the options I have in the script at the start of this thread.

EDIT: The one exception is the scheduling. Once you have the script working manually you need to schedule it with the Windows Task Scheduler: Start-->Control Panel-->Scheduled Tasks-->Add Scheduled Task.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:35 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

sorry if im making you repeat yourself, im just making sure

what about the T part above? keep it T:\?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:45 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

and finally, what is the robocopy WHS plug in?

just to allow people to run robocopy from within the WHS console rather than having to RDP in it?

this plug in never gets used if i just use the script does it?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:11 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Lazer wrote:
sorry if im making you repeat yourself, im just making sure

what about the T part above? keep it T:\?[\quote]
The "T:" needs to match the drive letter you assign to your unmanaged drive when you map it. (If you map it to T: then you do not need to modify the script.)

Lazer wrote:
and finally, what is the robocopy WHS plug in?

just to allow people to run robocopy from within the WHS console rather than having to RDP in it?

this plug in never gets used if i just use the script does it?

Is there a RoboCopy Add-In for WHS? I am unaware of it. I searched for one last night and only found a 12 Jan 2010 reference that was a request for one. If you have seen such a thing please post a link and I'll look at it.

In any event, such a thing is NOT needed for this script. (And if you want to run it from the console you can use the Advanced Admin Console Add-In to set up a user-defined command to run it from Advance Admin. I have actually done that.)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next