It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Re: HP software update?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:35 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Well either it was a big update or my ADSL was slow...took @ 10 minutes on an 8MB link :shock:

Watched the update come in...I know...sad isn't it :oops: and when it got to 100% it dropped back to 98% then back to 100% then back to 96%...you get the idea :?

Then it stayed at 100% and it seemed to install without any issues. :D

A previous poster mentioned that it seemed to default the iTunes Server to on - not sure about that because mine is on anyway but one thing it did do here was set HP Software Updates to Automatically download & install updates (Recommended) - something I never, ever leave switched on... :twisted:

I wonder what else it has 'tampered' with - I don't like software that overwrites your preferences thinking it knows better... :roll:

I am also disappointed after reading just what the update contains when I found out HP have disabled the temperature sensor on the motherboard.

Although I agree that the CPU temperature is the critical one IMHO it is there for a reason and I for one wanted it to stay.

The cynic in me says this was done as a cheap & dirty get-out-of-jail-free trick from those frames that have the faulty temp sensor issue - my friends amongst them (126c) :shock:

Also just prior to this update however I saw the bit about TZO offering a free SSL Certificate.

Followed the instructions, Unconfigure, Transfer Domain Name...all seemed to go OK apart from prompting me for my credit card details despite still having @ 9 months left of my existing account...even (long) after the recommended 1 minute wait I am still getting the Certificate Error warning though... :roll:

In addition I also got a red popup over the WHS icon in the tooltray telling me my TZO Domain name is due to expire in 3 days. :shock:

Then a few minutes later it shortened that to 2 days - not sure what all that is about but I might go through the Unconfigure process again now I have the latest HP Update installed - what do you think? :?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:01 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I did not have any trouble with installing the update. I downloaded the installer manually and installed via rdp. I have one question though: Why do these modest changes require a 50 MB installer??? :crazy:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:14 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

revengineer wrote:
I did not have any trouble with installing the update. I downloaded the installer manually and installed via rdp. I have one question though: Why do these modest changes require a 50 MB installer??? :crazy:

I suspect the most significant code changes are with things that are not immediately visible to us as users.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:56 pm 
Founder
Founder

Glyn, I'd probably suggest talking to TZO support about that one.

revengineer, the updates are not incremental because there are about 4 or 5 possible patch levels out there. If you perform a Server Recovery, do you want to download 4 or 5 sequential update packages, or one single update package? There's obviously pros and cons but I do understand doing it this way.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:54 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Alex,
the original v1.3 release was 180 MB though. Are you sure v1.3 is not incremental? I guess if SR1 contains everything but the McAfee and PVConnect addins, that would make sense...

rev

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:59 pm 
Founder
Founder

Good point, this release does not include the add-ins so I guess it would need to be an incremental from 1.3.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I have to say that overall, I believe that the system performance in the console once installed seems to be a bit more "responsive"...

Prior it seemed like it would lag, but now you can click and find things..

Nice improvement that I can say...

I just hope that if they send out the updates to the Console to match the 3xx series with that of the 4xx it doesn't require a reboot...

It seems like whenever a add-in goes into my console, or in this case it shut it down to do the update it won't restart through the Desktop port without a restart.

The only thing I wonder if this is caused by Diskeeper or McAfee not responding accurately when it is requested to shut down... Otherwise all is fine on my end, and I just deal with it... Basically when a update comes out I shut down all my clients, do the update on my main console... Then when needed, I restart the server and shut down my client until it is all booted up and the red notification light goes out (I believe it stays on for virus scanner on the server console).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:13 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

For those of you having problems with the latest updates it has ben reported by a couple folks that a power off using a brief depress of the power switch (this causes an orderly shutdown), wait 5 minutes, startup, wait 5 minutes DOING NOTHING not even starting a console, power off using a brief depress of the power switch, startup will solve various console problems SOME folks are seeing AFTER installation of the latest update. Suggested it this afternoon to someone with even different symptoms than the original posters and it worked for him, too!

YMMV....

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks