It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:37 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Is there a list of things to do to enable me to access the WHS console outside of the home?

I tried searching for this and had some success in finding posts but the icon is still grayed out. I do have my router port 3389 forwarded. I can get to my home page remotely, just not the console itself.

Thanks,

K

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." [Attributed to L. P. "Yogi" Berra]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:50 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Well, I think I figured it out...kinda.

I have to logon first to the server (with a control other than the very left end icon) then try to invoke the WHS Console. Then, Windows at work wants me to confirm running an ActiveX control. I accept that. Then, I'm still blocked. So, I went to the IE\Internet Options\Security tab and try to add a "Trusted Site". But, with IE at work, that option is grayed out. So, no luck here.

We are anal-retentive about security here <g>.

K

"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." [Attributed to L. P. "Yogi" Berra]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:57 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I was able to over remote desktop. However, you have to change your RDP changes to allow connections over the internet.

image courtesy of yakuza

download/file.php?id=2631&mode=view

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:54 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yep, been there done that. Forwarded in the router also. Although I did read one MS document that said that I didn't need to. This was "Technical Brief for Windows Home Server Remote Access".

As I said, we are somewhat anal-retentive about security at work to the point sometimes about getting in the way. It's to do with the guards with the M16s at the entry gates, I suppose <g>.

I guess I need to find somewhere else "not at work" to try it out at to prove my theory.

I did see however that RA was not enabled on the WHS side. I've done that now and will try again at work tomorrow. There should be a checklist for this stuff <g>.

K

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:59 pm 
Founder
Founder

Most likely your place of employment is blocking traffic. You can use Advanced Admin Console add-in to gain much of the remote desktop functionality via the Console, if that's what you are after. You would need to be able to access your server on port 4125 to accomplish this, however.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:17 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Advanced Admin Console add-in huh. I'll have to check it out and see what it does. We never know what they block at work...it's all part of the secrecy. I'm not sure I can even get Remote Desktop out of this place.

My best bet is to "borrow" a neighbor's PC and try it, I suspect.

I'm going to try this at Panera with the laptop on the way home this afternoon (6/11).

K

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:11 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I just checked remote login to the WHS Console at Panera's on the way home today and it works OK except for some "blocky" screen drawings due, I suppose, to the wireless speed.

I obviously can't get to home from work (either on our network or one of the contractors networks). Both are blocked.

BTW, this only worked in IE (due to ActiveX I suppose). I also had to add my site to IE Options\Security\Trusted Sites to get in. Then login first to my server, then I found a link by muddling around and eventually got the Console to come up. MS could have made the way into the Console a little more straightforward IMHO.

Regards,

K

Thanks