It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:32 am 

I have just bought probably the last EX470 from a shop that had lost the HP discs. They had tried contacting HP for new discs without joy. As far as we can tell the unit has never been set up.

I have tried using Connector from an evaluation version of WHS but it will not find my server. Using the toolkit I get a number of error messages including "wrong version of Connector". Does anybody know how I could get copies of the appropriate version of the HP connector software. HP passed me to Best2Serve but as far as I can see they only supply recovery discs (and don't even have one for the EX470).

If I can get it working this will be the bargain of the decade; if not, a pile of junk!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:29 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php? ... hl=x-files

I am going to risk showing my complete ignorance on X-files and what it does, but it appears it might be a solution for you. I see no licencing issues here because you have the hardware which comes with a licence for both WHS and MSS software, so I feel ok in recommending it to you.

It might be no help but if it is not you are no worse off than your are now.

If you do decide to try it, I would appreciate it if you would please report back to this thread and let me and others know it worked (or did not work) for your sitation.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the Forum :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:33 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

This would be a problem if the box has never been setup. You cant hit the webshare or the folder shares to get the matching version of connector.. you might be best to troll around the net for a connector or install dvd that doesnt include PP1.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:10 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

mogwai wrote:
This would be a problem if the box has never been setup. You cant hit the webshare or the folder shares to get the matching version of connector.. you might be best to troll around the net for a connector or install dvd that doesnt include PP1.

Hi mogwai,
I have been doing a good bit of reading (the entire thread referenced on the WGS forum) and it appears to me GaMeR and Drashna are including the WHS software on the ISO disk. Do you read it that way? What I am not sure of is if the ISO includes the HP overlay for WHS. That might be a problem.

Edit: Another throught. Does the MSS System drive already have Server 2003, WHS and the HP overlay already on it when it ships or does it read the data from the Server Setup Disk?

Your thoughts?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:22 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

My take is that they are not including the HP software, but that's not the stopping point here. Anyone with a 470 should just need the connector (original) to get the box out of "preinstall" mode as the system drive has everything on it, ready to be initialized.

:-k

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:41 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

mogwai wrote:
My take is that they are not including the HP software, but that's not the stopping point here. Anyone with a 470 should just need the connector (original) to get the box out of "preinstall" mode as the system drive has everything on it, ready to be initialized.

:-k

I see your point. :-k

When I talked to HP they had me get the connect software but I bet they just pointed me to the Software (Share Folder) where the WHS OS connector code was loacated. The original poster, of course, cannot get to that share folder because he dosent have a Connctor (i.e. WHS Console) installed. Catch 22!

This is getting over my head. Think I will stop trying to help when I might be misdirecting. :cry:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:52 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

One more thing for the OP to look at:
Might help. Hope so.

I only mention this because I know there is a place one can go to get the connector software. I know this because I helped a friend get a 64bit machine updated after PP1 was avaiable. I just don't remember if the place I connected to get the connector softwar was on the web or was a link on his local network that might have been pointing toward the Software share folder of the server. This HP link might help him find the connector software he is looking for.

Short of this approach, maybe he can find a person in his area that has the Disk he is looking for and use creat and ISO from it.

My head is beginning to hurt thinking about this issue so I am going to quit now :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:57 am 

Hello all,

I got a PM from SeaRay33 at WGS pointing me to this thread...

The X:\Files doesn't carry the MSS drivers yet. I'm not sure if Drashna is going to include those in the upcoming 1.4 version. If he doesn't then I'll make sure they are going to be included in the next release. But if the topic starter is comfortable with bittorrent, then he can download the HP MSS 47x Recovery Disc from here

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank GaMeR (WGS) for this post
SeaRay33
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:37 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

GaMeR (WGS) wrote:
Hello all,

I got a PM from SeaRay33 at WGS pointing me to this thread...

The X:\Files doesn't carry the MSS drivers yet. I'm not sure if Drashna is going to include those in the upcoming 1.4 version. If he doesn't then I'll make sure they are going to be included in the next release. But if the topic starter is comfortable with bittorrent, then he can download the HP MSS 47x Recovery Disc from here

Great. Thanks GaMeR! I appreciate your registering and posting the link. I am not sure the topic starter is still interested or is still around :) but if he is I think you have found the solution for him... and for any others reading this thread that might be in the same perdiciment. Your help is appreciated. I gave you your first Thank Post for that. :D

Note to All: In case you did not get the connection, I am SeaRay33 over at WGS too. I am not sure why but for some reason I just could not get this thread out of my mind until I heard from GaMeR or Drashna on this. Looks to me like the X-Files might be a good, time saving, option for all of us MSS users after the MSS drivers are included in a future release of X-Files. At lease we could get the WHS portion of Server Recovery with all the updates and perhaps preserver some or maybe all of our Add-ins and not have to worry about drivers missing or fool with the PP1 update and at least some of the follow-on Monthly WHS Updates (up to the the most recent ones incuded in the version of X-files we download). That's my read. If I am mistaken maybe GaMeR or some others will correct me if I am wrong. :mss:

Thanks