It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:52 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I should probably consolidate these updates.

I just loaded the Home Server console on the Windows 10 machine. I opened the console and ten to the Shared Folders and to Software. I checked properties on that folder and the access rights. Both Guest and Don have full access to this folder. Not sure what that means other than I am able to load the Home Sever Console on a Windows 10 machine, open it and have access to the server. I still do not have permission to open the applications.

Thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:16 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I just tried it again. I have used both all lower case and all upper case "HPSERVER" I get the same error message. I notice that the all upper case gets changed to lower case in the URL. Do you have any idea what is creating this error message, That might provide a place to look.

Thanks

Attachments:
From Browser after router changes.jpg
From Browser after router changes.jpg [ 92.13 KiB | Viewed 7276 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:20 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I just double checked that the XP machine that is fully connected to the server, provides the same error message as the Window 10, whish is not connected. They both come back with the same error. I am using the correct URL, correct?

http:\\HPSERVER:55000

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:23 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Let me add that the XP machine is using the old Explorer, and on the Windows 10 machine I have tried with Edge, and Chrome. All with the same result.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:30 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

One more update for today. I just sent a ping to the server from the Windows 10 machine, and it completed all pings without issue. On more item to throw into the equation.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:59 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yooperdon wrote:
I just double checked that the XP machine that is fully connected to the server, provides the same error message as the Window 10, whish is not connected. They both come back with the same error. I am using the correct URL, correct?

http:\\HPSERVER:55000

Thanks

Yes, that's correct. Have you tried a hard refresh of the page (press and hold the ctrl key while clicking on the refresh/reload icon in Chrome/Edge)?

You should see this (my server is named SUZIE).

If that still doesn't work, you could try typing in the connector download link directly

http://HPSERVER:55000/setup/WHSConnectorInstall.exe

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-10-21 123925.jpg
Screenshot 2021-10-21 123925.jpg [ 78.67 KiB | Viewed 7251 times ]

Stock Ram
HGST 1 x 2TB, 3 x 8TB
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:10 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Today's update: I shut down the server and the XP machine. I then connected the XP directly to the server. Turned both on and then tried the 55000 connection. As this removes the router, I figured it should work. Not the case, I received the same HTTP 404 error. This is not what I expected.

I am running out of variables, other than there is something wrong with the server load. The server states that it is healthy with no issues being shown.

In the error message it provides the requested URL so it can be confirmed. It is shown as "/home/default.aspx" Is this what I should expect to see?

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:14 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I forgot to mention that I did try the hard refresh. It appeared to be a normal refresh for me. I did not see any reference to "My server name( )" Maybe I missed something.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:09 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Sorry, I was unclear.

I meant you should see what I see (the screenshot I attached), except yours should say "hpserver:55000" instead of "suzie:55000" which is the name I gave to my server. There should not be the extra "/home/default.aspx" that your browser is trying to load, which made me think it's adding that bit from its cache and why the forced refresh was worth a try.

Out of interest, have you tried the direct download link I suggested?

Stock Ram
HGST 1 x 2TB, 3 x 8TB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:33 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Here is the error from using the direct link you sent. I hope that it helps

Thanks

Attachments:
Error from using the direct link.jpg
Error from using the direct link.jpg [ 103.16 KiB | Viewed 7236 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:40 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I tried the hard refresh again by bringing up a new tab in Chrome, doing the refresh, then entering the 55000 URL. It comes back with the same URL as before. No change.

I just wanted to be sure that I did not miss something.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:51 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have a question. When I direct connect the XP machine to the sever (Home Server Connector is installed on the XP machine) and open the console, why is the server looking for additional permissions from the administrator to exec the applications in the software folder? It would seem to me that all access permissions should be open to the XP and with my logon information. Am I missing something in granting permissions to the server?

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:08 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

CORRECTION:

I just restarted the XP machine with a direct connection to the server. I was able to get access to the exec files in the software folder by using Explorer or going through the Console. Sorry for the confusion. The reboot must have reset the link between the server and the XP.

I also just reconnected the server and the XP to the network. I still have access to the exe files on the server. So that rules out the router at this point.

This tells me that there is something in the later version of the browsers that is preventing me talking to the server. Must be a setting in both Chrome and Edge that I need to change.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:03 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

My other suggestion is that you need to replace the credentials for your user account on the server in the credentials manager in Windows 10. Most likely, you still have credentials saved from before you had to recover the server and these may be causing the permissions problems you're having.

In Windows 10, open Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager.
Click on the "Windows Credentials" button and look for a credential named "HPSERVER".
If there is one, click on the arrow on the right of it to see more details of the credential.
Check that the User and Password are correct for the User account (not the Admin account) you created for yourself after you restored the server.
If these are wrong, you can either edit the credential to correct the details or delete it and create a brand new one, I'd be tempted to do the latter to insure a fresh start.

Stock Ram
HGST 1 x 2TB, 3 x 8TB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:24 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I went ahead and replaced the HPSERVER credentials although they appeared to be correct. Then restarted the PC. I opened Explorer and selected the exe file in the software folder. I was prompted to enter the PW for the server. Did not have that before. Perhaps it was stored from prior access. I have shown the error message that I received. Because I was requested a PW for the server, I would guess was requested by the server itself, I must be getting that far. The question remains, who is generating the error message?

I also tried using the console access, but received the same error message.

Thanks

Attachments:
After deleting and adding HPSERVER to Windows credentials.jpg
After deleting and adding HPSERVER to Windows credentials.jpg [ 304.65 KiB | Viewed 7194 times ]
Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next