It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:21 pm 

I bought my WHS several years ago. I am not the most tech savvy, but was briefly able to get my pc to back up to it. We moved back in 2011 and tons of 'life' happened. I now would like to hook it back up. Also, it powers up and lights come on. I can hear at least one of my 3 drives spin. unfortunately, I cannot access it like a network drive. I think I need a client app. My current PC does not have a CD drive and I am not even sure if I still have the disk. What are my options? I am now on Windows 10. Is there a download somewhere? I have heard that there are back-up probs with Win10. Either way, I'd like to access all the family pics we saved there. Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:06 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

rcurry71 wrote:
I think I need a client app. My current PC does not have a CD drive and I am not even sure if I still have the disk. What are my options? I am now on Windows 10. Is there a download somewhere? I have heard that there are back-up probs with Win10. Either way, I'd like to access all the family pics we saved there. Thanks!

I back up a windows 10 terminal daily using my MSS. The only initial issue I had was that for it to see the MSS, you have to enable SMB v1.1 on the w10 client. Several threads are here on the forum that can tell you how to do that. If you cant find it in your OS (the latest w10 updates may actually be removing it now), it can be easily reinstalled. Seems to me I recall Ruben Rocha (a poster here) saying he had to do that.

To solve your DVD drive problem, drop $10-$15 on fleabay on a Dell or LG external drive. I happen to have the LG SP60NB50 and it works perfect for me.

You didn't say which MSS you have. You might find the client disk for your version available for download as a torrent for no cost. Otherwise post what version you are looking for here and someone reading might have a copy. In the alternative, back to fleabay if you're in a hurry.

I'm presuming you still have your server recovery disk. But don't forget that in addition to the software installation disk, you will need the PC Restore Disk as well (well hopefully you will never need that...).

Good luck and let us know how it goes. These things run for a good long time and IMHO it's worth the few bucks it might take to get yours up and running again.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:38 pm 

I have an EX-495 w/ WHS v1. It powers up, so my assumption is that it is working. The good news is that I had made a back-up of all those pictures on a different drive before I had purchased my WHS. I found the drive and we found what we needed! Having said that, I would like to get it back up and running, or I wonder if getting a NAS like a Synology may be an option. I heard they have similar capabilities to Drive Extender. Is that true?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:27 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

If you are considering a NAS and want to see if it's OS has similar features as drive extender, among other things, look for the following (the first three features would preserve those photos you mentioned if a hard drive fails):

Files formatted using NTFS permitting them to be viewed by other windows terminals
Multi-disk redundancy so that if any given disk failed, data was not lost ensuring that copies of the files were found on multiple physical disks.
No loss of raw disk space with data redundancy
Arbitrary storage expansion by supporting any type of hard disk drive in any mixture and capacity.
A single folder namespace (no drive letters) providing a file share that gives a unified view of all pooled disks

The ex49x series is pretty robust. The 495 is plenty fast, but if you feel it's not fast enough it's easily upgraded.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank lioninstreet for this post
rcurry71
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:36 pm 

Thanks!

Thanks