It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: What OS for an EX490?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:12 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

My EX490 has sat doing it's thing for years running the v1 WHS software. I've recently acquired a spare SSD & thought I'd have a go at fitting it as the OS disk. But having thought about it a bit I guess I really ought to be looking to move to a supported OS. Server Essentials isn't viable due to cost. So if you still have an MSS in service but with a supported OS, what are you using?

Although the hardware is a bit long in the tooth it does the job & the multiple drive bays are handy. So I don;t really want to bin it.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:07 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I will keep running WHS v1 for as long as it works. On that same note, I have not upgraded any of my 9+ clients to win 10 and I don't use cloud.

As far as what will work on it, if you have the VGA adapter you can try a lot of different OS's, without the vga adapter then I would not try anything else, unless you really know what your doing.

Some distros can be setup on a different pc and then transferred to the server, booted and then worked with. But again, you would need to know what your doing.

Seems like people at this point are selling Mediasmart servers and getting something that you can attach a monitor/keyboard/mouse to or they are still running whs V1 or are going to nas.

As far as the ssd for a home server, I have done it for testing but did not notice that great of difference. With the price of spinning 2 TB drives so low, no reason to waste a ssd on a server.

I buy 2 tb red (non-pro) when they are on sale and run them, I buy 4 tb red (non-pro) when they are on sale for the win2012E server.

I have a DIY in the DIY thread that runs of mirrored SSD drives and win 2012E which I was able to get at the time for $350 but do not use the system, I might use it if my Whs v1 stops working.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck and enjoy.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
Rbz5416
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:27 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for that. It's just the lack of security updates that is a slight concern. But then I guess the risk is greatly reduced on a server that rarely accesses the Internet. I don't have the motherboard VGA adapter but do have a USB one. Down side to that is it needs drivers so no good for initiating installation.

The idea of the SSD was just to try to improve wake times from sleep but I've lived with it this long!

Your post is reinforcing the old "if it ain't broke..." mantra. [-X

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ok, I understand the sleep/wake as I do sleep mine at night. It turns on at 5:00am and shuts down during the week at about 10:pm.
On Friday and the weekends It shuts down about 12:00 midnight.
I did turn off remote access from the web for security, I hear ya on that. But it still works so good I just can't give it up. :whs:

Unless you were going to put in a 1 or 2 TB SSD for the os drive (which would be a waste) I wouldn't do it. When I tried the SSD I didn't notice that much difference and I think it is because the OS is so old.
But File servers shouldn't really need to be fast IMHO just have lots of cool storage?

I did upgrade the ram and cpu which made as much difference as the ssd did I believe.

But again, I would use that ssd in something that could use it like an old win 7 or even and old xp pc. I have done this with my old netbooks, otherwise they would be in the garbage because I could not upgrade the cpu's in them and they were getting way to slow.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck and enjoy...

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
Rbz5416