It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:16 am 

I recently purchased a "spare" HP LX195 in case of hardware failure in my old LX195 and to experiment with upgrading to a larger hard drive than the stock 640GB included in the server. I was also concerned about having a system internal hard drive failure in my old server since I purchased it in October of 2009 and have not had the stock 640GB drive fail (yet).
I used the info found on this site and others to get the recovery process started using the "Server Recovery CD" and it worked great.
The issue I did find was that when the server recovery completed it only had Power Pack 1 (not the Power Pack 3 that my old server had on it). I ran the "check for updates" many times and after several hours I finally got to Power Pack 3 on my new server.
My concern is that I assume that the "check for updates" goes to HP's web site to get the necessary updates that got me to the Power Pack 3 updated level. In the future should I have to use the "Server Recovery CD" again how can I be sure that the "check for updates" function will still get me to the Power Pack 3 level via HP's web site providing the necessary updates? Is there any way to get an updated copy of the "Server Recovery CD" at the Power Pack 3 level? I don't mind the time necessary to run the "check for updates" many times to get from the Power Pack 1 level to the Power Pack 3 level just concerned that the necessary updates will continue to be available from HP's web site (at least the updates to get me from Power Pack 1 to Power Pack 3).

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:40 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The Power Pack updates come from Microsoft. It's the HP Media stuff that comes from HP. You have to open the Console and go to settings/ MediaSmart Server/ HP Updates tab and do a check. You should be at version 3.3.1.... to be up to date.

Once you have the updates, they can be found on the server in the Hewlett Packard folder on the C: drive. There is a pending folder and an applied folder. You can copy those to an other device and install them manually if they are no longer available for download.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:53 am 

Thank You for the quick reply. I am new to the "nuts and bolts" stuff on the LX195/WHS. I believe I read that there is a "C" drive and a "D" drive on the internal system hard drive. When I look at shared folders I believe I'm looking at the "D" drive correct? Is there an easy way to get access to the "C" drive to find the pending/applied updates with the LX195 up and running?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:52 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

medlx195 wrote:
Thank You for the quick reply. I am new to the "nuts and bolts" stuff on the LX195/WHS. I believe I read that there is a "C" drive and a "D" drive on the internal system hard drive. When I look at shared folders I believe I'm looking at the "D" drive correct? Is there an easy way to get access to the "C" drive to find the pending/applied updates with the LX195 up and running?

You have to do a RDC or Remote Desktop Connection to the server so you can view it as you would a PC.

Or else try \\servername\c$ from your PC in File Explorer. Replace servername with the true name of your server. This might not work if the permissions are not set properly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:51 am 

Thanks again for the reply to this "newbie". I was able to get the remote desktop connection working to get to the server desktop.
After looking around in file manager on the "C" drive I did find a buried folder named "Hewlett Packard" but could not find any "pending" nor "applied" folder after looking at most every folder on the "C" drive.

I hate to keep being a pain but can you be more specific in helping me find these folders?

Thanks...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:15 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

C:\\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\data\.updates

Should be here. There should be a .applied and .pending folder. This is how the MediaSmart Server EX47x/48x/49x I don't have a LX195 but I expect it is the same.

Thanks