It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: DataVault 2009
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 am 

hi, I hope someone can help, I have a datavault 2009, WHS with power pack 3 -- it has been sitting backing up 2 computers and I have never had an issue, but now need to update the antivirus. My question is, do I have to stay with McAfee or are there any better/free antivirus that I can install and how do I go about it??
many thanks to anyone in advance !!!
Gavlow66

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: DataVault 2009
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:08 pm 

There was never a real perfect solution for an AV program for WHS. Even McAffee when it quarantined files would create issues with WHS reporting files being left open. One of the first AV programs was the CLAM AV ADD-IN but as I recall it was a manual solution requiring you to perform scans.

Some of the other AV Programs that were developed for WHS have since been discontinued. Some are using a Microsoft solution but for the life of me I can't remember what it is but I am certain if you perform a site search on AV or Antivirus for WHS you may come across it. There was a time when you could install Security Essentials but Microsoft made sure to make it so that you could no longer install it.

While I understand your concern and its a valid concern about wanting to protect your server the best way is to do it from the client side and do not allow files to be uploaded from clients not protected with AV Software. The one thing I did like about the McAffee solution was that it performed a scan of files while they were accessed I think they called it an on demand scan or something to that affect but what I did not like about it was how you went about renewing your subscription and obtaining the keys for the server side and about how it quarantined files and did not communicate that well with WHS causing WHS to report the files being left open which drove me nuts and I never figured it out until I removed McAfee from my server and saw the files WHS was reported as being left open. Actually the files McAfee clamped down on were not even infected files or files with issues.

WHSv1 is now a discontinued product and so there is no real incentive for people to continue development on this product although there are some who still support it and continue to work on their software.

I do hope you find an acceptable solution but you maybe hard pressed in this area. Like I said earlier their is a solution put out by Microsoft but its slated to be discontinued but I just can't recall what is it something like Forefront or something to that effect and it may require you to have one of the Microsoft Subscriptions to be able to download something like TechNet or MSDN but even the TechNet Subscription program will end next year and I do not even think you can get one if you wanted one and MSDN is just way to expensive for the average person to acquire.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
Gavlow66
 Post subject: Re: DataVault 2009
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:52 am 

I think you are right, I will ensure that the 2 computers that it backs up are protected and then hope for the best! I will try to find the "forefront" and will let you know if I have success!
Many thanks
Gavin

Thanks