It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi everyone, great forum on MSS...

I am back to try and resolve a long term error i'm getting on my EX495. I love this server and its functionality. I think it began after a restore after system drive failure. Restore went ok (after much consultation here) but am left with an annoying problem of this http400 error when clicking on my desktop icon for my media center (really control center) ("C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmartServer\ControlCenter.exe")

Console works fine, I can RDC into as well. Get same error on second local PC (Both Win7). All WHS functionality running fine except this.

My server is a win2003 V1 sp2 running software version 3.3.1.35433 - 2/3/2010 EX1108091633 (I think)

Connector software (reloaded many times from HD and Server) is installing "HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Update 1 (x64) version 3.0.14.33080"

I talked to Joseph (good guy) at HP his only recc was to try removing Norton and try again. I have not tried this yet as I wanted to check in with the brain trust here first....

I have run toolkit and get an error that says "The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server"... Joseph said I need to reboot the server after running server connector. Have not tried that either...

TY for comments... Any ideas?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:58 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I would remove the programs first from the desktop, using the control panel programs and features Then re-install with the connector cd.
The cd install will attempt to remove and reinstall but there may be a glitch.
And I would turn off your security protection during the install.

So anyway removal may be 4 programs.
Hp mediasmart server
Hp mediasmart server update 1
Hp update
Windows home server connector.

I had this problem updating the connector with a xp 32 machine. where the update did not work.
Probably had to do with the registry file was not cleared completely.

And re-booting in between does not hurt.

Fyi,
I also have a win7 64 bit machine that works fine.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:57 pm 

The connector software must match what the server is expecting to use. The server does store the most current Client Software which you can download from the server using the example http://your_server_name:55000

If for some reason that does not work then try downloading the latest version of the Client software from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=1622 (I believe this is the correct link)

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:49 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanx Guys, Testing reccs, downloaded and burned ISO file, disabled Norton, uninstalled MSS apps, rebooted, then tried loading new connector, still getting same error.. Will test more in am....

fyi, remote access is disabled right now... still getting toolkit connector mismatch error.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:19 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Did more testing this am, No new insights...

Running from server seems to mimic new burned CD. All seem to load 3.0 X64 versions, but still get same error message.

I've attached screen shots of key version numbers (of server sourced load) and error messages as best I can determine. It is difficult to track versions between Connector, MSS (Really control center)?, and control center.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:35 pm 

Please post the screen shots.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:40 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Here is attachment, sorry...

Attachments:
Server Setup Scenario.pdf [590.7 KiB]
Downloaded 796 times

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:25 pm 

I am just curious about the broken link. Did you use the actual name of your server followed but the /HPHome because if your server has a different name than what you used then that link will not work.

When the client software is installed using the provided HP Software it installs two programs one for HP and the other for WHSv1 which is the console. I would remove both those from the client your working with if they are still installed.

I am having difficulty with the mismatch of the client software especially if your pulling it from the actual server itself. I assume your making a Remote Desktop Connection to get on the servers Console. Have you checked to see if all the HP and MS updates have been installed?

There is one thing that make sense to me and that is during your recent recovery if something went wrong with the HP or MS updating. I am not quite sure what the updating versions are for current EX49x but I am most familiar with the EX47x and I recently recovered one of those and something did not go right with the HP Updates because I know where they are suppose to be and yet the server will report that there are no updates available but I know its not fully updated with the HP Software. Now its a different server model but I wonder if your server may have a similar problem.

One way to know without mucking up your current setup is to take a Single Drive 80GB or Larger that is known to be in good working order and perform a Factory Recovery with only that drive in the server with no external drives connected. Then see if you experience the same issue. You can then compare the two server setups which is a pain but it will help you understand the issue better. Of course there is a remote chance you may experience the same thing but you will not know unless you try.

Most of what I have learned is from reading posts from others who have experienced and resolved issues before I encountered them which is much easier but along the way I have experienced thing which others have not so I have had to figure many things out on my own and sometimes I can tell you recoveries do not go perfectly which is why its never my first choice to recommend to another to do. The thing I am curious about is if you perform a factory recovery on a test drive will you see something different after you completely update the server software and if so then it would be logical to assume that something went wrong during your recovery.

Next week I expect to be setting up an EX490 and will be going through the recovery process. At that time I can look how its setup and we can compare what you have vs what I have for software version numbers and such. One thing I know for sure is you should not have to go through all this grief.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:47 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanx Comp, The server name in the error's link is automatically generated (maybe during my recovery I entered?) I seem to recall getting queried during recovery about how I wanted to connect to the server (as a web site or ?) I don't recall how I answered that question. I have remote access turned off and cannot access via external domain name (XXX.homeserver.com) Its odd I can connect via: http://hphomeserver:55000/, and I can ping HPhomeserver fine (See attached pix). I have been removing both the connector (console?) and MSS 3.0 via ctl panel, all desktop icons disappear. I use the WHS "Console" to access the server (not RDC connection). I have checked in whs server settings for updates and it says no (see pix), But I have similar concerns about reality of that. What is best way to access HP from Server to look for updates? Did find some optional (then 2 high) Msoft updates, loaded, (see pix). Tried cycling, same result. I will be away from server till next Saturday... Really appreciate your input!

Attachments:
server name edits.pdf [417.8 KiB]
Downloaded 800 times
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:25 am 

That should bring you to the HPHome Page which is the black screen with the cool icons. If you use http:// HPhomeserver/home/ you should see the default WHS Landing page and if you change the /home/. If for some reason your servers using a different port then 80 you could add the colon and port number after the link your having issue with.

I just remote connected to one of my clients to see what pages show up on servers that do not have Remote Access Setup and the pages work. Now for some reason my Primary Server will not respond but I know its working because I use its landing pages all the time to hit my other servers which I have online or am testing for others.

I expect to receive a fully functional EX490 this week and I have a new 1TB Toshiba drive set aside that's 512e for it that I am dying to try out but if I am successful in getting the server setup and configured I will be happy to share the file structure with you for comparison to what you have on your server to see if maybe some files did not get written properly or file versions incase some of the updates are missing. I experienced this on an EX470 and I actually saw it happen. I actually tested it with a bum drive and it worked perfectly and then I installed a new drive and something went wrong with the HP Update, because the health indicators are the original which get updated and then one of the temperature sensors gets removed so you only see one. I know its a different server and all but I am curious if something goes wrong with an HP update and it thinks its installed when its not then how do you go about resolving it. Oh the joy of playing with these older servers never ends.

I know once you get them working the way they were intended and you keep a close eye on your drives they just run and run but they are getting old too.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:48 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

back from travel... Thanx Comp, your comments got me thinking about domain name registration, have been snooping around, both server and clients are pointing to same DNS Server (local router at 192.168.1.1). Using nslookup get following error, I assume is causing HTTP400 error when control center.exe is executing. I wonder why connector is not registering HPhomeserver properly with DNS "Server"... way over my head here...
Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server>nslookup
Default Server: myrouter.home
Address: 192.168.1.1

> ls hphomeserver
ls: connect: No error
*** Can't list domain hphomeserver: Unspecified error
The DNS server refused to transfer the zone hphomeserver to your computer. If th
is
is incorrect, check the zone transfer security settings for hphomeserver on the
DNS
server at IP address 192.168.1.1.

I did try adding to DNS section of router (Fios Westell A90) config: (And get same error)

DNS Server
Host Name IP Address Source Action
new-host 192.168.1.100 DHCP
IP-STB1 192.168.1.102 DHCP
IP-STB2 192.168.1.103 DHCP
hphomeserver 192.168.0.111 User Defined

When I try http:// HPhomeserver/home/ or adding :80 I get same HTTP400 error...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:14 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

the ip looks strange to me.
router is 192.168.1.1
other clients are:
new-host 192.168.1.100
IP-STB1 192.168.1.102
IP-STB2 192.168.1.103
why is the server out of range with
I am talking about the zero
if you reserved the ip for the server in the router it should be like:

If you reserved the ip in the server that is bad practice.

I assume you reserved the ip somewhere because of the "User Defined" statement.

could it be you replaced your router that has a different ip range than the old one.

standard default ip's for routers are:

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:38 pm 

That's a good point and a very good reason why the server issue would present itself. Looks like at one time another router may have been used and then was changed. The servers IP would need to be 192.168.1.111 not 192.168.0.111 is the router is 192.168.1.1. I would be amazed if you could actually see anything on the server on your local network.

You can try connecting a client directly to the server and see if you can get on the servers desktop to change the IP or at least set it to use DHCP and then in the router have it reserve the IP Number for the server using say the IP number the router assigned to the server. This way the server would always be assigned the same IP. If your router does not support IP Reservation I would urge you to get one if you have a need to do some specific port forwarding.

I have an IT Guy at work who likes to assign IP numbers on the devices and I keep telling him doing it from the router is a simpler approach and if you know the MAC numbers of your devices you can Reserve IP Numbers without those devices even being powered up. I know when I change routers I pull out my listing and just reserve IP's for everything so they always have the same IP number regardless of the router I am using. I mean there was a time when I use to set the IP Numbers on devices but once I discovered IP Reservation I stopped doing that.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:46 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Right on Comp, I have two routers, one Fios "Hub" router that provides internet access, I added a second Cisco Dualband N WRT610N. I use the added router for home wireless, have turned off orig fios westell A90's wireless. Yes, my ex495 is connected on other side of the Cisco router, (with static .0 address), dhcp services is turned on on both routers. So I have a mix of .0 and .1 Ip addresses for home Ethernet devices. Seems like I remember much pain last time I tried to reconfigure home network with both routers and make everything work. Double NAT comes to mind... I think I have blacked it all out now... And yes, I think I did try to look for network devices from server point of view and got nothing/errors... (although all my backups are running fine so connector from clients is getting thru fine, have internet access from WHS for Microsoft updates). I do have port forwarding turned on to WHS from router that I think allows connectivity from Westell router (and internet), thru Cisco, to WHS...

Asus client and WHS are both connected to Cisco router with .0 addresses, so should be able to talk together. NSlookup test gives same error, but am pointed at .1 DNS (westell a90). I'll try to move DNS to Cisco and see if I can get local client running. Sending this before start of test.. Thanx Comp for insight.... be back soon, I hope! (lol)...

And I agree with you Router Ip reservation versus client static IP's....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:54 pm 

Now we are getting somewhere and the key word in your post was you have a Westell Router. Not sure if its the same as my Sister has but I told her to contact her ISP and ask if she can change the Router which is a MODEM/Router and in her case its a 10/100. I had to configure her router remotely which was no joy at all. In her case everything but the Server Webpages are accessible from her network but the webpages work perfectly fine outside her network.

One of the differences between her setup and yours is she is running a server I built for her running WHS2011 and she doesn't get the HTTP400 Error she gets the Routers logon page which annoys me. I really wanted her to see if her ISP would allow her to use a different MODEM and then I could send here a gigabit router which would speed things up on her network both in wired and wireless connectivity.

In your case with your Westell and WRT610N Routers you can use the WRT610N as an access point and keep the same IP Number Structure. I have done this with a WRT610N myself when I was running a Business Class VPN Router which did not have WiFi. I would have to look at how I actually setup the WRT610N to do that since I should have a backup of its configuration. Actually its one of my favorite routers but I kept running out of entries for port forwarding so the challenge was to replace it and it took several routers before I settled on one that would to the rick.

My inclination is that your Westell MODEM/Router is causing the issue blocking your access on your network but not outside the network to one or more of the servers websites. I think if you just change out the MODEM and have your ISP Provision it and just use the WRT610N you will see a much different result. One thing I will mention about that router is that I was able to run and access multiple servers from it. The HP MSS running 3.x and WHS2011 and WS2012E have to have port 443 to work properly but WHSv1 in general you can work around the 443 using External to Internal Port Forwarding to work around 443 but that's a different story.

So contact your ISP and see if you can change out that Westell MODEM/Router with another MODEM not made by Westell and check around to see what others are using. If you can not change the Westell device then ask them if you can disable the Router Feature so you can use your WRT610N and I think this will clear up your issue.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks