It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:50 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I stumbled onto this when Lights-Out wasn't working correctly on my 2nd X510. It's not a server addin which is why I put this here in software, but it worked for me and it is free. The support over at Lights-out was able to help me with settings that would have got it working, but Smart-Power was doing what I wanted, so why mess with it?
SmartPower
http://getsmartpower.co.uk/
Attachment:
smartpower1a.jpg
smartpower1a.jpg [ 38.18 KiB | Viewed 12396 times ]

SmartPower, when you click on the download box you will be surprised as you will get a very small program 816 kb, it comes as a winzip and when unzipped, it is SmartPower_1_5_0.msi. Check for newer versionsI made a rdp connection to my server, used the browser to go to the website and downloaded to the server desktop, extracted the file from the zip to the server desktop, right clicked the file and hit install.
It does a fairly normal quick install, Yes I agree to the terms, setup for all users, location of install, at the end it says to go to microsoft updates and check for dot-net updates, so I can guess the program uses dot-net.
EDIT: This was not a problem with WHS v1 but when I tried to install this on Win2012E it needed dot net 3.5 and when I tried to install that it was a problem, so kind of a no go on W2012E.
Edit2: In win2012E you use server managment and enable dot net 3.5 and then SmartPower will install, then I had to install the intel G33/G31 vista 64 bit graphics driver to get suspend.

After the install, click start, all programs you will see SmartPower folder and in the folder you will click on the (SmartPower Configuration) icon.
First Screen:
Attachment:
smartpower2a.jpg
smartpower2a.jpg [ 23.28 KiB | Viewed 12396 times ]

I don't mess with all buttons at first, I would leave that up to you, they all seem to be very easy to understand.
I just edited the default event start and stop time that it comes with.
Attachment:
smartpower3.jpg
smartpower3.jpg [ 27.79 KiB | Viewed 12396 times ]

That was pretty much it. It just worked after that.
To be fair, Lights-out has a lot of extra stuff going for it and I have a paid for version on my main X510 that works just fine, I can remote wake the server and it's a addin so it can be used on the connector page. But if you want a set and forget wake and sleep then this might be for you.

Edit 3: Just another update, I installed this on a EX470 with the upgraded WHS (Black Disks) and it went to sleep as it should, but waking up was strange, wake, then sleep, wake then sleep.
I went to install Lightsout and got this warning about SBCore service running and causing the server to wake up about every 30 min. and how to disable it:

http://www.homeserversoftware.com/lo/whsv1/help/en/messages_sbcore.htm
So I disabled this sevice per the instructions and am trying the SmartPower app again to see if that was the problem for it as well. When I confirm I will edit.
Edit: 4
Yep, That fixed it, EX470 sleeps and wakes just fine....

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Last edited by Gardian on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:07 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Just a quick shout, to follow up on this my win2012E EX490 woke just as it should this morning.
So SmartPower will work with Win2012Essentials on an EX490/5.
First using server management to [enable] dot net 3.5 then could install smartpower.
Then on the EX490 I had to install the Intel G33/G31 Vista 64 bit Graphics driver, this made Suspend an option.
I'm guessing that Lights-out would probably work now as well. But I like SmartPower because it is just so basic and simple. Just my 2 cents.

FYI, when I installed SmartPower on the server it detected the Domian and wanted to be reg'ed but the program has a link that lets you send for a free HOME or non commercial license which I did get and is working fine..

Thx to the author of this cool little program: James Chiffey
http://getsmartpower.co.uk/

Edit: I have also installed this on my win7 64 bit HTPC and with some work on video drivers and power settings was able to get it sleeping and waking. On this one suspend would not get it to wake up but Hibernate got it sleeping and waking. This HTPC is a Shuttle SA76 running headless with onboard ATI video. So now everything sleeps at night so were able to save some juice, ware and tare when we sleep.

Last edited by Gardian on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
Comp1962, yakuza
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:21 pm 

Good to know as many people like to put their servers to sleep and properly wake them up. I keep my servers running 24-7 and the only way I could imagine wanting put to my servers to sleep or in hibernation is if someone wanted to access the server and it would wake up. This would be the only way I would personally approach this but am not certain if its even possible. There are things in life which I simply do not have good luck with like those yard tools where you have to mix gas and oil I think they are 2 cylinder devices and while I have always taken great care to get the ratio right they just do not like me and I can't get them to start properly where as if I hand them to another person they will fire right up. Servers and clients are just that way for me so I leave them on 24-7 and if I want them to sleep I just turn them off. One the other side of the coin there is always someone accessing my servers for something around the clock so sleep for me is not an option. (sigh)

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:29 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

One last follow up, I have a DIY winserver2012E and Lights out would Not sleep/wake it. I tried everything and it would not do it, But this program works perfect.

So if you want to sleep and wake, this is the one. I have mine set for wake at 6am and sleep at 8pm.

Now when you go to install it on win2012E it will see the domain stuff, so you will have to ask for a free reg for home use.

Thx again to SmartPower for sleeping the giant :-)

Thanks