It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:41 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

When speedfan goes thru detection on my system with 4 drives this is what it finds:
Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked SiS966 SMBUS at $1050
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
IT8712F found on ISA at $290
SuperIO Chip=IT8705F
Scanning SiSx30 SMBus at $1050...
LM75 found on SMBus at $4C
Found ACPI temperature (35.0C)
The result gives me:
Temp1 57C
Temp2 40C
Temp3 37C
Temp1 35C
Core -49C
Temp 44C

The 35C matches the ACPI Temp which is the second temp1
The first three temps match up with the IT8712F temps
but have no idea what they are.
Errol

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:32 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Can anyone from HP -- or someone who has the motherboard extracted -- tell up where the actual heat sensors are located, specifically the ones from the IT8712F?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:34 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Well, if I wasn't confused before, I am now! Picked up the monthly MS "updates" and ran them (nothing new, just the monthly scan). Happened to reboot as a part of some F-Secure beta testing and then ran SpeedFan 4.34 again.

Suddenly there is a SIXTH temperature sensor! This one, from an LM75, is showing up as a "SiSx30 SMBus" temperature (see screen shot below). I doubt very much that the downloads made a difference, but why the heck is there a new sensor now??? Anyone else seeing this one? How many are seeing five temperatures? Six? Something else? I suspect I have an intermittent connection somewhere in there...

And I am no longer convinced that the Temp 1-3 sensors are the disks, as many of you have probably guessed by now. (I have removed the "offsets" for these so the readings here should not be compared to my earlier post.) I am still working on the assumption that the ACPI is the sensor for the "System" temperature reported by HP. I have used a -10 offset for that, and it seems to track nicely. But could that actualy be an average of the others or some such? (They all seem to change in close to "lock-step".)

For the AMD K8 I have an offset of +6 and it seems to track well.

Also, for the moment, I have the automatic speed control limits set rather aggressively, adjusted for the new offsets but set lower that I had them before.

Attachments:
File comment: SpeedFan Readings
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 50.52 KiB | Viewed 17089 times ]
File comment: SpeedFan Temperature Sensors
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG [ 38.74 KiB | Viewed 17089 times ]

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:49 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

John,
If you look closely at what I posted it was six temperatures and that lm75 was the last at 44C, however now when I run it, I'm only picking up 5 temps and the LM75 has dropped off, so it's not just your system.
Errol

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just downloaded SpeedFan and installed it on both of my HP MSSs. The pic of SpeedFan1.jpg has 4 drives in it and is always on while SpeedFan2.jpg is typically off and only has 2 drives in it.

It just seems odd that Temp1 is so hot on both of my systems. On my system with only 2 drives Temp2 and Temp3 seems to make sense that they are cooler with no drives located there.

All 6 drives in my systems are Seagate. System 1 in order from bottom to top is a 750, 1TB, 500, 500 and System 2 is 2x500.

Just sharing my results.

Attachments:
SpeedFan1.jpg
SpeedFan1.jpg [ 77.81 KiB | Viewed 16863 times ]
SpeedFan2.jpg
SpeedFan2.jpg [ 77.72 KiB | Viewed 16863 times ]
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:49 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

A mistake I made early-on --- Temp1, Temp2, Temp3, ... do not represent drive temperatures!

I do agree that your "first" Temp1 seems high compared to mine, even when I let the MSS manage my fan speeds. But it also depends on ambient temperatures, activity ongoing at the time of the readings, etc. One of your CPUs is hotter than the other -- probably due to balancing or some other activity at the time. This can impact other temperature readings as well. You may want to watch them over time and see what the ranges are.

I have recently been able to get a little more information regarding the locations of the temperature sensors:
    - CPU thermistor under CPU
    - System thermistor on backplane (possibly between drives 3 and 4, would have to look to be sure)
    - Northbridge temp not reported externally, but visible in BIOS
    - (Additional sensors: internal CPU temp monitor (part of Sempron processor)

Still hoping to find out about the other two. Also need to relate this information to the sensors reported by SpeedFan.

I have also been told that the MSS does actually have fan speed regulation built into the hardware, "set to safe but aggressive levels". I blocked off some air flow last evening and was able to confirm that the fan does, in fact, speed up as it heats. I was not able to see the temperatures as my MSS is not co-located with the clients, but it seems to be set higher than 55C.

What we need is an Add-In to allow us to set that threshold (those thresholds?) to levels of our choosing! (Needs to be persistent across re-starts, too!)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Restarts is where I run into problems with Speedfan. I have speedfan set to 75% which runs the fans at a little over 2000 rpm and keeps the cpu temp at around 33C when at idle. However, everytime I restart the MSS, speedfan does not restart. I have to remember to open speedfan and re-set the speeds.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:46 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I have not done it, but we could define SpeedFan as a service, then it would start each time.

I start it manually at the moment and have the options set to set the fans to 100% when SpeedFan is closed.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:26 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

jrock wrote:
I'm quite pleased, the system is staying cool, but I want the automated fan speed adjustment in the event I need to reboot (or that it auto reboots).

There are some APIs tucked away in one of the DLLs that allow fan adjustments, let me see if I can throw together an add-in to eliminate the need for Speedfan on the MSS (no promises, I have plenty of other stuff to do Smile).

Have you tried playing around with the registry settings located at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WNAS\Parameters\FanControl?

I've fiddled a little with some of the settings but I'm not sure if my changes worked (they weren't dramatic changes).

Attachments:
registry.png
registry.png [ 50.44 KiB | Viewed 16757 times ]
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:00 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

No, I have niot played with those registry entries! To be completely honest, I never even thought to look in there for any fan control stuff.

Color my face red....

Now if someone knows how to interpret those entries...????

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:12 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Well my 'shot in the dark' is this...

The PWM_X (0-9) values should relate roughly to fan % speed. Note however that the values go over '100' at the high end so these numbers are likely not pure percentages.

the CHECK_POINT_X (0-8) I think are the temperature thresholds needed to for from one PWM level to the next which would explain why there is one fewer checkpoint than the number of pwm levels

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:00 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Using VB.NET I added a reference to C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\HPMediaSmartServer.dll and C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\HPConfiguration.DLL and then I needed to add WNASDLLATL.dll to my project. After doing this I looked into HPMediaSmartServer, then into the HW Class and found some routines to get the fan speed and temperature of the different sensors.

Right in the class there was 2 routines to grab temps, GetCPUTemp and GetSystemTemp. Using GetSensorVal I was able to get a 3rd called "SL_THERMAL_BACKPLANE".

After writing an app to auto-update itself, I then compared it to the HW Stats in the HP Console and in SpeedFan. I'm sure this DLL is what is used to create the HP console so the #'s match up exactly.

After comparing it to SpeedFan on 2 different HP MSSs it looks like the first Temp1 is the same as the backplace sensor and Temp3 is the System temp.

There doesn't seem to be any routines to write to the fan speed as far as I can tell, except for a function called SS_FAN_SPEED_LVL, but I'm not sure what it does or what exactly to pass it.

Attachments:
hphw.jpg
hphw.jpg [ 79.78 KiB | Viewed 16682 times ]
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:59 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

socals wrote:
After comparing it to SpeedFan on 2 different HP MSSs it looks like the first Temp1 is the same as the backplace sensor and Temp3 is the System temp.

There doesn't seem to be any routines to write to the fan speed as far as I can tell, except for a function called SS_FAN_SPEED_LVL, but I'm not sure what it does or what exactly to pass it.

Last/first: I am assured by multiple people that there is something, somewhere, that controls the fan speeds. I have not looked into either the registry or the BIOS at this point, hwever...

I think I am in agreement with you on the two sensors. I als think that Temp1 is low on the backplane (as it is effected by the CPU temperature with a short delay. Temp3 seems to be higher on the backplane -- probably in the vicinity of drives 3 & 4, a location where there is purported to be a sensor.

Since there is also supposed to be a sensor locared near or under the CPU, I suspect this is Temp2 as it rises very soon after there is a rise in the CPU itself. (Shorter delay than Temp1.)

The ACPI sensor is either in a place where there is no heat sensitivity or it may be disconnected??? I see no real change in that reading.

I have no idea yet where the sixth/intermittent LM75 sensor is. Graphically it does not vary much, but I do get a frequent and significant 12-13C downward spike in the reading. (I suspect this may be related to the intermittent availability.)

I include several images below (darn, they no longer load in reverse order):
    1. Readings taken when SpeedFan was started and run during a period of limited activity -- but does include some balancing.
    2. Readings taken when the CPU was loaded to 100% for a considerable period of time (using F-Secure).
    3. After 8.5 hours overnight; includes backups, balancing and automatically synchronizing shares

In all cases SpeedFan is NOT automatically controlling the fans, rather they are set to run at 100%. Although I am still fine-tuning it, the results with automatic fan control are very close to the same. (I will upload those settings to SpeedFan again -- probably tomorrow.)

Comments, anyone?

Attachments:
File comment: (3) After normal overnight activity
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG [ 69.32 KiB | Viewed 16628 times ]
File comment: (2) After 1.5 hours at 100% CPU load
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG [ 80.19 KiB | Viewed 16627 times ]
File comment: (1) Started and read between balancing cycles with low CPU activity
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 122.2 KiB | Viewed 16627 times ]

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:33 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Anyone else noticed that starting/stopping SpeedFan resets the dimness of the MSS lights?

Any idea as to the cause?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:31 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

From my own fiddling, I was under the impression that Temp1 was the northbridge temperature. The temperature in the bios as well as speedfan seemed to closely match what I was reading off of the NorthBridge heatsink with an IR thermometer.

Temp 2 should be the cpu socket temperature and Temp3 should be the 'System' temperature but haven't a clue where the system temperature probe is actually located

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next