It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:29 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

You can find a screenshot of the settings earlier in the thread...

I've added an additional attachment you may find useful.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:10 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Okay.. now I see the original post. So, if I understand correctly, I can run your modified reg file and the temp control points for the fans will be changed to what you did. And if for some reason, it messes up, I run the original reg file and it changes back? Correct?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:20 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Correct.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

TechVet wrote:
I've been playing with SpeedFan and find it amazing what 200-400 extra RPM can do to lower the temps. I have both fans set to 65-70% and everything seems to stay much cooler. I'm sort of lost in the various Speed Fan interface screens, so is the long term goal to have a standard 'configuration' file we can all share or perhaps an add-in that will allow us to better manage temps.

Most users just want to set the fan speeds to a fixed number (e.g., 100%) and leave it all alone. Even I was using that approach (not at 100% though) until I discovered that if the MSS temps cross the HP threshold the HP logic takes over from SpeedFan and my fans SLOW DOWN!

My ultimate desire would be an Add-In that would make the appropriate Registry changes to have the MSS logic more sensitive to "cool" than to "quiet", ideally letting me set at least some thresholds.

In the meantime I want to generate a "configuration" file. I had posted one for SpeedFan a while back but when I went to modify it a couple days ago I discovered that it had been deleted and that neither HP nor the MB manufacturer are on the SpeedFan lists any more. I have sent a note to the SpeedFan author asking him to re-enable it, but no response from him yet. I may have to end up posting instructions rather than a configuration file but prefer to avoid that!

EDIT: See below. I responded to you before I saw ymboc's (wonderful) registry efforts!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Last edited by JohnBick on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:56 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

ymboc wrote:
... Update: I've attached an additional zip file that contains a .reg file for the mentioned modifications (lowering all the threshold temperatures by 20 degrees).

BRAVO, Bravo! THREE CHEERS!

I may ditch SpeedFan now and go with this. And I like your modified settings as well!

On my "todo" list to play with!

Thanks!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:29 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

As I understand it (and have experienced it in the past) we should be able to unzip the *.reg files to the desktop and just double-click on them to make the changes. Or we could edit them.

Problem is that I am told I do not have the proper permission to use the file (see attached screen shot.) In this case it is on the MSS desktop, but I tried placing it in other folders without success.

I am logged on via RDP as Administrator.

------

That said, I edited the files on my Vista client, did a "save as" with a new name, moved them to the MSS desktop and executed them without difficulty.

Any thoughts as to why I do not have the appropriate permissions for your *.reg files yet my copies worked?

------

Re-starting the MSS as I type -- with your fan settings! I assume you used SpeedFan to monitor the speeds and temps?

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 24.84 KiB | Viewed 16416 times ]

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:24 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

WHS places a restriction on running & unzipping certain files from a shared folder. 'For your own protection'

You need to move the archive out of the shared folder onto the desktop before trying to unzip.

I was using the WHS console to monitor RPMs... I have speedfan installed but I don't use it.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:17 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I did this the same way as ymboc described. I shut down SpeedFan, copied the reg file to the desktop and executed from there. It asked for confirmation, I said yes...overall it worked wicked fast. I've not watched the console settings enough to really see a difference yet. My temp settings are now 32 System and 32 CPU with fan speeds of 1493 upper and 1520 bottom - both confirmed using SpeedFan.

While ymboc's setting will kick the speeds up faster, I'd still like to see a tweak for the default speeds. In other words, my MSS seems to be 'happier' from a temp standpoint with a default fan speed of 65%. Then having even higher speeds kick in sooner makes me and I presume the MSS even more comfortable.

I'm totally ignorant of how Add-In creation works, but the point here is that if someone writes an add-in, it would be useful if they address two things: 'default fan speed' as well as the schedule of accelerated fan speeds as they pertain to temperature increases. Just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:53 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

TechVet: Those look like the rpms you'd have before applying the patch... Make sure you applied the correct registry file and then rebooted for the changes to take effect.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:39 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

As far as I could tell, it was properly applied. I just reapplied and have 30 and 29 as temps. Fan Speeds now 1383 and 1406. I'm checking the actual registry now to see what it looks like.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:52 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Here is a screen shot of what my settings look like after running the patch.

Edit: I applied the original settings and there is a 20 degree difference. Modified patch reapplied and I got the same results as shown here. FWIW, when the CPU hit 31 earlier, then the fan speeds were 100 rpm higher.

Okay... Edit #2. When the temps hit 31, the fan speed jumps, but it doesn't fall back down until the temp falls 2 degrees below 31. For instance I was at 31 with fan speeds of 1493/1520. The temps dropped to 30, but the fan speeds did NOT change. When the CPU hit 29 (system was still at 30), both fans suddenly throttled down by approximately 100 rpm each. If true, this is very COOL feature! In addition, this would seem to indicate that fan speeds are slaved to respond to CPU temp over System Temp.

Attachments:
Techvet.png
Techvet.png [ 80.94 KiB | Viewed 16359 times ]
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:47 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I have been playing with this since I installed the registry changes and I am MUCH more pleased with this that SpeedFan. I doubt I will use SpeedFan any more except to watch a graph of the fan speeds or temperatures! Good choices for the settings, ymboc!

FYI, PP1 seems to fix the problem of SpeedFan resetting the MSS light intensities... Unexpected but glad to see it!

When the two files had failed for me I had done the following: Unzipped them on Vista, copied to \\server\software, opened RDP session with MSS, copied both REG files from the Software share to the MSS desktop and tried to execute (or even edit) them from the desktop. If I edited them on Vista and saved them with a new name (did not try with same name) and THEN moved them over in the same manner they worked fine.

Again, THANKS YMBOC! Ya done good! (Going to post this to the WIKI? It is definitely deserving!)

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:46 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I installed ymboc's registry edit today. I just copied the zip file from my pc to the software share on the MSS via explorer on the pc. I then RDP'd into the MSS and moved the zip file to the desktop, unlocked it, double clicked it to unzip it then double clicked on the registry file and it installed immediately after ok'ing the installation. I then logged off of the RDP session and restarted the MSS via the restart button in the Advanced Admin Console.

The resistry edits immediately sped up the fans from the 1400 - 1500 rpm range to the 1800 rpm range. However, the lowest CPU temp I am getting with the registry edit is 36C. I launched speedfan to see what it was recording and the stock fan speed % was 65 - 70%. I had been running the speed at 80% and getting low CPU temps of 32C - 33C.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:38 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Feel free to edit & customize the registry to your liking... all the information you need to customize your fan speeds vs temperature has been posted.

Alternatively, if you're not confident about DIY, PM me what kind of temperature vs rpm profile you want and I'll make one for you custom.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:37 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I have been VERY pleased with ymboc's registry changes. To date I have not even modified them!

I have been "observing" the fan behavior with SpeedFan and just want to make a few points here for the record:
    (1) SpeedFan (and, likely, similar fan speed controls) will loose control of the fan speeds at any time a temperature crosses any threshold set in the registry, whether the crossing is an increase or decrease in temperature and whether the fan speed would increase or decrease. Does not matter if the fan speed is automatically controlled or set to a manual speed. The net-net here is that Speed Fan (and similar controls) cannot be trusted!
    (2) The registry setting approach results in very consistent and very smooth speed controls. As set up by ymboc my MSS will idle with the CPU around 35C and keep it at about 50-55C under an 85-90% load. This is very reasonable, but if one wants a bit more airflow (and noise) the settings could be easily modified further.
    (3) Setting up the registry approach is simpler than enabling automation in SpeedFan.
    (4) I expected that the registry controls would always control the fan speeds as a pair, increasing or decreasing both fans by the same amount at the same time. This is what happens for CPU temperatures under 50C. Above 50C they seem to change at different times, but in a coordinated fashion. This is shown on the attachment below. (Look at the 100rpm changes, not the "little" adjustments. These fans have always been about 100rpm different in speeds.) As the CPU load increases this non-synchronous behavior becomes more noticeable. (I do not intend to be indicating this is a problem, only that it was a little unexpected and interesting.)

It is my intent to write this up for the wiki...

Again, thanks to ymboc!

Attachments:
File comment: MSS Fans not sync with CPU core at 50-55C and with a rather consistent 85-90% load. (Look at the 100rpm changes, not the "little" adjustments. These fans have always been about 100rpm different in speeds.)
MSS Fans not sync at 50C+ with 85pct load.jpg
MSS Fans not sync at 50C+ with 85pct load.jpg [ 53.42 KiB | Viewed 16083 times ]

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next