It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:00 pm 
Founder
Founder

To the best of my knowledge, ymboc is correct. The system temp is measured from the backplane, there is only one temp sensor on the backplane.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:30 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Interesting.... On my latest restart of SpeedFan I picked up yet another temperature sensor: "Temp" from "AD7416" on the SiSx30 SMBus at address $48.

Anyone know anything about that one? Including the five "regulars" and the LM75 we now have 7 sensors? Hmmmm...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:50 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

yakuza wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, ymboc is correct. The system temp is measured from the backplane, there is only one temp sensor on the backplane.

Based on inputs from you, ymboc and others, I have been concluding that the IT8712F sensor readings are as follows:
    -- Temp1: Northbridge
    -- Temp2: CPU Socket
    -- Temp3: Backplane

and that the "System" temperature is the Temp3 (Backplane) reading. Only problem is that the Temp3 reading occasionally varies a few more degrees (usually upward) than does the System reading. Makes me wonder -- but I continue with the above as it makes sense and I have nothing concrete to the contrary.

Where is the Northbridge chip located? (I do not want to disassemble to research this!)

In addition to these three sensors (and the one internal to the CPU), what is known about the ACPI, LM75 and AD7416 sensors? Where are these chips located? Do they have remote sensors or are they reporting internal temperatures?

I would think the ACPI would be associated with the power supply but am beginning to wonder if there is even an LM75 or an AD7416 in the MSS at all. Could SpeedFan be finding a ghost here? Makes no sense to be adding other sensors with different chips. But the data reported for the LM75 seemed to track the MSS loading.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:02 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The Northbridge is under the other, smaller, hotter heatsink on the motherboard.

Keep in mind that other probe you're seeing intermittently may not be another probe at all but one of the other probes already listed. Why it's glitching like that however is anyone's guess.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:11 pm 
Founder
Founder

One other temp value is the CPU internal temp, I don't recall what the 5th sensor is reading. As for the intermittent sensor, I don't think I ever saw that in the lab.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:58 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Is there either an LM75 or an AD7416 chip anywhere in the MSS? Per Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) specification, an open industry standard first released in December 1996 (developed by HP, Intel, Microsoft, Phoenix, and Toshiba) defines common interfaces for hardware recognition, motherboard and device configuration and power management. According to its specification, "ACPI is the key element in Operating System-directed configuration and Power Management (OSPM)".

Since SpeedFan is also reporting voltage readings, I think it is reasonable to assume (ass-u-me?) that the ACPI temperature is coming from somewhere in the power supply. Any idea who manufactures that or where the sensor might be? Is there a sensor? Mine is very solid at 23C, but there is little variation in PS load so the lack of change may be normal. (It may need an offset though!) I may power the unit off for a while and then take a reading as it powers back on just to confirm that there is a sensor.

Speaking of power... SpeedFan reports on 9 voltages. Seven of these appear to be normal and rock solid. The negative voltages (-12 & -5) vary widely leading me to believe they are probably present but either unregulated, unused or both. The -12 ranges from -12.36 to -0.100 with a mean of -5.46. The -5 ranges from -6.21 to +2.34 with a mean of -0.90. I plan to have these disregarded by SpeedFan, but can anyone confirm their status?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:51 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'm almost positive you can ignore the fluctuating voltages, I saw the same thing in testing.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:59 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Well, I did the shutdown of the MSS, left it powered off for a couple (+) hours and powered it back on. Idea was to look at the ACPI temperature as shown by SpeedFan.

First problem was that it took so long to come up that most of the other temperatures were almost up to their "normal" range!

Second problem, one I should have recognized, is that 23C is equal to 73F -- and my basement just happens to be 73F. Now I doubt that there is no increase in the temperature in the power supply, but is it possible the ACPI temperature is measuring the temperature of the air at the point of intake? The temperature in my basement varies very slowly and has been steady at 73F for a couple weeks now. And of all the MSS temperature measurements, this is always consistently the lowest.

And, looking back in this thread, I note I have attached screen shots of SpeedFan showing the ACPI temperature at 27C and 25C -- so it DOES move! And when those were recorded the furnace was likely more active -- and the basement warmer.

Could a couple of you compare the ACPI temperature from SpeedFan to the ambient temperature in your room and report the results back here? You may need to use the "Configure" button and then look at the "Temperatures" tab to determine which of your "Tem1" readings is from the ACPI. (Can use F2 key to rename it.) I could shut off the air conditioner and move the unit upstairs or put it into the refrigerator on a long cable as an alternative -- but I am hoping a couple kind souls will save me the hassle of moving my MSS!

Thanks in advance!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:23 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My speedfan temps under the Temperatures tab are as follows:

Temp1 IT8712F 55C
Temp2 IT8712F 39C
Temp3 IT8712F 38C
Temp1 ACPI 41C
Core AMDK8 -49C

Ambient room temp is 76F.

The hardware status tab in the console is indicating:

System: 38C
CPU: 34C

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:35 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Thanks, cavediver.

Dang.... 41C is about 106F. So much for THAT theory! Anyone else have data (or theory)?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:09 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

OK, some updates on SpeedFan and MSS temperatures and sensors...

1. The ACPI is not directly measuring the ambient temperature and it DOES change. Basement is a little warmer today and the temp is up 3F but the ACPI is up to 29C, a 6C increase -- more than the ambient. (I knew that theory was too good to last!) Interestingly, this has held steady all day in spite of a significant change in other temperatures this afternoon/evening. Any information regarding this sensor location would be appreciated.

2. MSS definitely has logic to control the fan speeds and the logic is definitely slanted to lower fan speeds than my preference at least. (But it does emphasize making the unit quiet, one of their goals I am told.) I know there is more to it than the simple statement I am about to make as there are definite delays as temperatures decrease. But here are some general observations. (I forgot to enable SpeedFan and, when I did, the temperature had crossed a threshold and my 100% settings got overridden by the HP logic! I let it go and watched the behavior.)
    -- When the CPU (not the socket) crosses approximately 55C (actually a degree or three lower) the fans increase in speed by about 100rpm
    -- The fans seem to step up 100+ rpm for each 5-6C. (Mine did not cross 70C so I am not certain if it is linear from that point.)
    -- The fans are controlled in tandem, not separately, at least in the ranges I observed
    -- I forced the fan speeds up a few times. Set both to 100% and the HP MSS logic reduces them within seconds. Raise the UPPER fan to 95% and it will hold a while, but it does drop back. Raise it to 100% and it is lowered very quickly. Same with LOWER fan, except drops quicker.
3. Be careful comparing SpeedFan "charts" of temperatures and fan speeds. The time (horizontal) scales may look the same but they are different. You need to make the comparisons on the right side, before the scale difference confuse things.

4. WARNING: A manual speed setting in SpeedFan will be overridden -- and probably lowered -- if the MSS temperatures cross thresholds set by HP. You cannot count on SpeedFan to hold a speed that was manually set UNLESS the "automatic" box is checked. "Automatic" does seem to override the HP MSS controls but further verification is necessary. (In this mode the fan speeds do NOT necessarily change exactly in tandem -- even though I set up the controls for each temperature threshold to control both fans. In mine the UPPER fan increased speed more slowly than the lower.)

5. (Added later) I forgot to mention that once the CPU temperature gets up around 55C, going to automatic speed control (adding 900rpm to the fan speeds) really did not help a lot. Obviously it takes longer to heat up, and it runs 5-7C cooler, but I would have expected more.

As always, comments and additional input is encouraged!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:57 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I've been playing with SpeedFan and find it amazing what 200-400 extra RPM can do to lower the temps. I have both fans set to 65-70% and everything seems to stay much cooler. I'm sort of lost in the various Speed Fan interface screens, so is the long term goal to have a standard 'configuration' file we can all share or perhaps an add-in that will allow us to better manage temps.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:10 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

With reference to my earlier post in this thread about the parameters located at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WNAS\Parameters\FanControl in the registry...

So I did some experimentation and equated
"FANCNTL_RX_PWM_Y" values to fan RPMS... Below are my findings give or take 50 rpm
Code:
Hex (Dec) -> RPM
-----------------
40  ( 64) -> 1389
46  ( 70) -> 1487
4c  ( 76) -> 1662
53  ( 83) -> 1721
59  ( 89) -> 1864
60  ( 96) -> 1950
66  (102) -> 2096
6c  (108) -> 2177
73  (115) -> 2360
7f  (127) -> 2557
For example if you want all your fans to run at 2500 rpm all the time set all the values to "7f" Hex (or "127" Dec). (Not recommended but that's how I went about figuring it out)

The FANCNTL_RX_TEMP_CHECK_POINT_Y values are degrees celsius and are the threshold temperatures for the different fanspeeds... For example I've lowered all the threshold temperatures by 20 degrees so that the fans start speeding up at 31 degrees and top out at 2500 rpm when the system reaches 55 degrees celsius.

The zip file I've attached contains a .reg file that will let you quickly restore the MSS' stock fan control settings should you mess something up while experimenting.

PS: You need to reboot your MSS for any registry changes to take effect.

Update: I've attached an additional zip file that contains a .reg file for the mentioned modifications (lowering all the threshold temperatures by 20 degrees).

Attachments:
FanControlOrig.zip [707 Bytes]
Downloaded 1255 times
FanControlModified.zip [717 Bytes]
Downloaded 1291 times

Last edited by ymboc on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:16 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Ymboc,

Can you post a screen shot or two of the registry edit to show what this actually is supposed to look like?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:18 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Ymboc,

Can you post a screen shot or two of the registry edit to show what this actually is supposed to look like?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next