It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: HD Sentinel Gadget...
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I did a quick search to see if anyone posted about this and didn't see anything, but I didn't spend a lot of time searching so if it's a repost then my apologies.

I was checking out the HD Sentinel forum yesterday, I check every so often to see if there is any more news on a MSS plugin that the HD Sentinel guys said they might work on. At this point I'm sure it's not going to happen, not for V1 anyway, but I did see a post by a user who created a desktop gadget that shows drive temps and some other neat info. I downloaded the gadget, installed it, and after a bunch of trial and error I got it to work. If you use HD Sentinel you should check this out, it's really cool. Now I have some of the most important SMART data on my client desktop, and it's working like a charm. You can set it to update as often as every 10 seconds. Check it out here: http://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=611
And here are a couple pictures that the author, Kramttocs, posted:
Default View:

Expanded View:

So, I'm monitoring the temp and other info for all nine of my drives, including five in my external enclosure, something I could never get to work with anything other than HD Sentinel....

32 TB

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank UberDave for this post
dbone1026, jerryt, yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:56 am 

Sweet, thanks for sharing. I Have HDSentinel running on my WHS, it is the only app. I have come across that can actually read the smart data off drives connected to one of my sata controller cards. I will definitely be setting this up

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:21 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi UberDave.

Could I get you to elaborate on the trial and errors process you went through to get this to work. I have tried setting it up but it is unfortunately not as trivial a task as one might think.

Best regards

Anders

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:50 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Sure, here's what you need to do to set up the gadget:

First, RDP into your server (or use the Advanced Admin Console) and open up HD Sentinel. Go to the "configuration" tab and select "integration."
Then, check the "Password required to open configuration..." box, and enter your password twice. Then, down in the Remote Control section check the "Enable WebStatus" box and the "Ask for password to establish connection" box. You should be prompted to enter an HTTP port, enter 61220. Click OK. See below for a screen shot.

Now, back on your PC desktop, click the settings button on the gadget. In the URL box enter the name of your server and the port that you saved in the previous step. Ex: HOMESERVER:61220. Enter the refresh rate in seconds. Then, check the "Password Required" box, enter Guest and your password. Click OK. See below.

That should be it, if you set it up properly the gadget should immediately connect and you should see your drive info right on your desktop. I hope this works for everyone!

32 TB

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank UberDave for this post
dbone1026, yakuza
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:29 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for the quick and very comprehensive reply. I have one more question. Is it possible to get this to work from outside the home network. I can easily get it to work at home by typing "Homeservername:61220". But if I try to specify the external ip-address it will fail: "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:61220". I am forwarding the port to the server and exceptions in the firewall are created.

Best regards

Anders Schliemann

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:19 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I don't know whether that's possible or not, sorry.

32 TB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:04 am 

schliemann wrote:
Thanks for the quick and very comprehensive reply. I have one more question. Is it possible to get this to work from outside the home network. I can easily get it to work at home by typing "Homeservername:61220". But if I try to specify the external ip-address it will fail: "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:61220". I am forwarding the port to the server and exceptions in the firewall are created.

Best regards

Anders Schliemann

It might work if you set up a VPN on the PC outside your network (such as using LogMeIn Hamachi). I may have to test this out as well.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:31 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I PM'ed kramttocs at the hdsentinel.com forums. He confirmed that it should work remotely. By typing "http://EXTERNALIP:PORT" into a browser a page with HD Sentinel information should be shown. It turns out that the that was that my E3000 router refused to enforce the port forward. When I booted it everything worked (duhh... :P).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:07 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hey everyone,
@UberDave - thanks for posting this here as I am glad to see it's useful for people. I realized when I uploaded it to the hdsentinel forum that it probably wouldn't get much traffic and that's just due to the nature of the forum and not at all reflective of HD Sentinel.

As schliemann mentioned, as long as you have the port forwarded in your router you will be able to use the gadget off the home network. Being able to watch my home server while at work was the real reason for creating this gadget. Btw, schliemann, I tried to respond to your latest PM but that forum has some kind of waiting period between responses or something, but I am glad to hear you have it working.

Just some quick caveats about the gadget:
It is possible that there may be issues if you have non-hdd drives (card readers and such) intermingled with your hdd's. I was only able to test this gadget on my personal server so because of that, I couldn't account for any situations that I didn't have or couldn't think of.
Also, this was my first gadget so admittedly it's a little rough around the edges. I've done some more since then and was planning on updating this one but since I never heard anything about it being used by anyone on the other forum I never made it a high priority.

Anyways, if anyone has any issues or feature requests, I will keep an eye on this thread or send me an email at my username at gmail.

kramttocs

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:12 pm 

kramttocs wrote:
Hey everyone,
@UberDave - thanks for posting this here as I am glad to see it's useful for people. I realized when I uploaded it to the hdsentinel forum that it probably wouldn't get much traffic and that's just due to the nature of the forum and not at all reflective of HD Sentinel.

As schliemann mentioned, as long as you have the port forwarded in your router you will be able to use the gadget off the home network. Being able to watch my home server while at work was the real reason for creating this gadget. Btw, schliemann, I tried to respond to your latest PM but that forum has some kind of waiting period between responses or something, but I am glad to hear you have it working.

Just some quick caveats about the gadget:
It is possible that there may be issues if you have non-hdd drives (card readers and such) intermingled with your hdd's. I was only able to test this gadget on my personal server so because of that, I couldn't account for any situations that I didn't have or couldn't think of.
Also, this was my first gadget so admittedly it's a little rough around the edges. I've done some more since then and was planning on updating this one but since I never heard anything about it being used by anyone on the other forum I never made it a high priority.

Anyways, if anyone has any issues or feature requests, I will keep an eye on this thread or send me an email at my username at gmail.

kramttocs

Thanks for joining in and welcome to the gang :mss:

I am definitely a big fan of HDSentinel as it is the only program I have come across that can read the SMART data off drives connected to my Supermicro SASLP SATA Card :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:44 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Glad to be here :)
I agree - I tried out a number of different hdd monitoring software and nothing comes close to HD Sentinel.

I've been busy lately working on SubGadget (a gadget for Subsonic Music Streamer [insert shameless plug here :) ]) but like I mentioned, I will have to update the HD Sentinel gadget now that I know it's actually getting some mileage.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:49 pm 

kramttocs wrote:
Glad to be here :)
I agree - I tried out a number of different hdd monitoring software and nothing comes close to HD Sentinel.

I've been busy lately working on SubGadget (a gadget for Subsonic Music Streamer [insert shameless plug here :) ]) but like I mentioned, I will have to update the HD Sentinel gadget now that I know it's actually getting some mileage.

I use Subsonic, great software as well :mrgreen:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I couldn't get through my workday without Subsonic :)

Well, now that the gadget is having its turn in the spotlight, literally :lol: I guess I should make good on the promise of updates.

Besides some performance updates that I know of, I always had the intention to allow the entire color scheme of the gadget be customizable. So other than those two things if anyone has anything they would like to see (that is exposed by HD Sentinel) or changes to the current layout/functionality, let me know.

As soon as I get my RMA'd PSU, I will start on the updates.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:39 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hey all.

Just uploaded v1.2 of the gadget
http://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=611&p=1627

1.2 *Recommended update

Interface updates
New settings menu
Several bug fixes
Customization of gadget colors
Themes (some are ugly as sin, I know, but you get the idea and possibilities) - email me the hex codes if you create a good one and I will add it.
Code optimization

Let me know if you come across any issues.

Thanks!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank kramttocs for this post
dbone1026, yakuza
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:50 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Also,
UberDave's guide is much appreciated but I just wanted to point out one point for clarification.

You don't have to check the "Password required to open configuration window..." checkbox unless you want to be prompted when opening the full program on the local machine itself.

You really just need the password filled in and the checkbox for "Ask for password to establish connection" checked. Really you don't need that even but for security, I highly recommend it.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank kramttocs for this post
jerryt