It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:59 pm 

Update: i have recovered my 3.0 disc after a bunch of cleaning to a point where I was able to get the files off and create a new disc. I have not done the upgrade yet because I want to back up my data...just in case!
I will update and use the tool to do the 3-v3 updates and the hp updates and post results.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:07 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Anyone have a copy of the Advanced Administrator Console they would share? I am unable to locate a copy on the forum.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yooperdon wrote:
Anyone have a copy of the Advanced Administrator Console they would share? I am unable to locate a copy on the forum.

Thanks

Hi I hope this is right file... :)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgrwM6B9LlZ1r68qj48 ... A?e=340dKi

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:19 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Just making sure that everyone using the update tool is aware that:

1) If you see updates erroring or find all the Power Packs are not installing, run the tool several times and erroring updates may install.

2) All updates are located in the Off -Line Updater program's w2k3\enu folder and can be installed manually. Just install in the order of release (smaller KB # to larger). In the rare case that the off-line install tools won't install the WHS Power Packs and the two WHSv1 rollup updates, They are also in the same folder. Install each individually and restart after each.

3) Cases have been reported that it requires a 32bit client (or the use of XP compatibility mode) to install the ex 47x v1.1 software install disk. Others have been able to install with w7x64 & w10 (go figure).

4) If using w10 to install using any version of the HP software install disk, in addition to the standard protocol ,confirm SMB v1 has been enabled is off, and the earlier versions of NET Framework (3.5 & 2.0) should be enabled.

3) Without MSFT PP1 installed, the V1 Server OS does not support 64-bit clients. Dont bother trying to connect until you update the OS with the Off-Line Updater because you are guaranteed to have connector install errors. If you have problems connecting after PP1 is installed, go to the C:\WHS folder on your server and copy it to your client desktop, (On early versions of the OS, this may also be located at C:\Software\WHS\Home Server Connector Software). Once on the client desktop, on more updated versions of the OS, install using the setup.exe file, on older versions, connect using the WHSConnector_x64 file.

4) The HP v1.3x software update may not properly install without MSFT PP1.

5) Without a HP 3.0 install disk, a ex47x & ex48x will not install HP updates past v2.51.5 (some dont like the 2.5 interface so stop with the 2.0 update. So find a screenshot of both on-line and use what you like.

6) More detail on installing HP v2.51 when beginning with a HP v1 install disk can be found here http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_the_HP_MediaSmart_Server_2.5_Update_on_the_EX47x

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:43 pm 

lioninstreet wrote:
Just making sure that everyone using the update tool is aware that:

1) If you see updates erroring or find all the Power Packs are not installing, run the tool several times and erroring updates may install.

2) All updates are located in the Off -Line Updater program's w2k3\enu folder and can be installed manually. Just install in the order of release (smaller KB # to larger). In the rare case that the off-line install tools won't install the WHS Power Packs and the two WHSv1 rollup updates, They are also in the same folder. Install each individually and restart after each.

3) Cases have been reported that it requires a 32bit client (or the use of XP compatibility mode) to install the ex 47x v1.1 software install disk. Others have been able to install with w7x64 & w10 (go figure).

4) If using w10 to install using any version of the HP software install disk, in addition to the standard protocol ,confirm SMB v1 has been enabled is off, and the earlier versions of NET Framework (3.5 & 2.0) should be enabled.

3) Without MSFT PP1 installed, the V1 Server OS does not support 64-bit clients. Dont bother trying to connect until you update the OS with the Off-Line Updater because you are guaranteed to have connector install errors. If you have problems connecting after PP1 is installed, go to the C:\WHS folder on your server and copy it to your client desktop, (On early versions of the OS, this may also be located at C:\Software\WHS\Home Server Connector Software). Once on the client desktop, on more updated versions of the OS, install using the setup.exe file, on older versions, connect using the WHSConnector_x64 file.

4) The HP v1.3x software update may not properly install without MSFT PP1.

5) Without a HP 3.0 install disk, a ex47x & ex48x will not install HP updates past v2.51.5 (some dont like the 2.5 interface so stop with the 2.0 update. So find a screenshot of both on-line and use what you like.

6) More detail on installing HP v2.51 when beginning with a HP v1 install disk can be found here http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_the_HP_MediaSmart_Server_2.5_Update_on_the_EX47x

Do you by any chance have the HP ver. 3.0 Server Patch 1 (v3.0.14.33083) update? I'm missing this one and can't proceed with further updates. Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:41 pm 

Hi
you asked for orginal files from HP, i have 4 patches for you.
:hp:
v2.51 http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1 ... Update.exe
v3.01 http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1 ... rPatch.exe
v3.2 http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1 ... Update.exe
v3.3 http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1 ... Update.exe

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4c3c8ov3sa02 ... G2Soa?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/977vba47 ... 6dv5sszigd

:whs:
Microsoft Home Server Toolkit:
WHSToolkit.x64.msi
WHSToolkit.x86.msi

Uploaded to drop box.
I do not know the time it will be open at dropbox. :-)

Thankes! for the this and the links.... :-)

I will not give up on the HP /Microsoft Home Server box.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Bimmer for this post
lioninstreet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:31 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

@lioninstreet
I have my (4) 2 tb red ssd drives.
I downloaded your offline tool yesterday. I am going to be doing a clean install on a X-510...

My understanding is to load the base software ( I have it setting on a win xp laptop that I have used just for this purpose ) ( after the direct cat5 connect ) ( as I have always done) Just seems to work better.

Then open the iso and extract the files to a thumb drive, plug into the server and run.

If all goes well, my understanding is, the server should be up to date with ALL hp patches and ALL updates for win server 2003?

Fingers crossed, hope all goes well.

Don't know if you are still around, if so DM me please.
thx again

:encore:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:35 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hey Guardian,

You are correct. Using your xp laptop, load the base software on to the server and go thru the client setup on your xp laptop. Then download the iso, convert to a regular file, copy it on to a thumb drive, do a RDP or use a debug board and copy the installer onto the server desktop.

Once copied, open the installers folder, find the application named UpdateInstaller.exe and you're on your way.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank lioninstreet for this post
Gardian
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:10 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

This will be a winter project, Thx for confirming on the updates..

When complete, I will update how it went.

I am so very excited to have my old HP friend updated to the SSD's with all the bells and whistles that it had 10 years ago.

Thx you so very much, this will be a glorious build.
A X-510 with ram / cpu / power supply upgrades and now SSD's and a fresh load with all the updates.

:encore: =P~ loolololol

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:25 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

You will be so impressed with how your MSS runs with SSD's. If you are staying with v1, don't forget:

1. The OS does not have TRIM. Make sure the SSD you are planning to use comes with a good garbage collection software or use something like TxBENCH, A versatile SSD Benchmarking & utility app. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zy5KbJx9ZS1f6IHH1hyh4PcR5oJsr9rO/view.
(download has been checked with Virus Total & Opswat as safe 10/23).
This will allow you to manually TRIM the SSD(s). Run the tool, go to drive Information /SSD Optimization to start the process.

2. Align your partitions so that they start and end at 4k disk blocks. Most modern partition tools have this ability. In the alternative, it can also be done manually. WARNING: Aligning a Windows Partition is typically data DESTRUCTIVE. Complete the alignment process prior to installing the OS. https://web.archive.org/web/20141122115558/http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=30986068&postcount=153

3. After OS installation, verify the file system allocation blocks are set to 4096. run "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo.exe", go to "Components > Storage > Disks" and find "Partition Starting Offset". It will be in bytes, divide the number by 512 to convert into sectors.

4. Make the following registry edits:

a) Disable background disk defragmentation:
Key Name:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction\ Name: Enable Type: REG_SZ Value: N

b) Disable Background auto-layout:
Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout Value Name: EnableAutoLayout Type: REG_DWORD Value: 0

c) Disable update of filesystem’s “last access timestamps”
“Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem Name: NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate Type: REG_DWORD Value: 1

d) Disable Prefetch
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters Name: EnablePrefetcher Type: REG_DWORD Value: 0

5. Verify no disk defragmenting is scheduled
Go into Control Panel->Scheduled Tasks. Make sure disk defragmenter isn't in there.

6. Turn off XP hard drive optimization. Download Tweak UI 1.33 https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweak_ui.html
(download has been checked with Virus Total & Opswat as safe 10/23).
Run Tweak UI, On the left side, click on General (so the word General is highlighted). Scroll down in the settings list, and uncheck "Optimize hard disk when idle".

7. Unless you are very low on system memory, go to the system settings and disable the swap file (pagefile).

8. Optionally:
Add a good craft beer to your glass
:cheers:

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:36 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

First I wanted to say thanks for posting all this information and links to the downloads.
I just purchased a used EX475 and all 4 hard drives in it were blank.
Having a couple other EX475's and V1 discs I was able to install that software but not update it since HP and Microsoft dumped everything.
My other 470's were running the latest version of V1 WHS software(V1.8 ?) so the connector software on the newest one would not cooperate(older V1.1 ?).
I could not get Discovery to finish for the newest server, the shared folders were accessible on it now though.
I didn't even realize there was a version 3 WHS software(and updates for that), I may have seen it years ago and just decided not to download or use it.

With all this information you posted, and the links, I was able to figure out how to update the software.
I unzipped the ex470 discs and the one named HP.EX470.PC.RESTORE.DISK-2010-iLL and copied the folder to a XP computer I have, and ran the WHSRecovery.exe file right from the folder on the desktop of the XP client PC. That got me to version 3 software.
Then I dragged and dropped the newer V3 WHS update exe's you posted links to, into the software folder and then used remote desktop to drag them to the desktop of the EX470 and ran them from there. I did the 3.2 first, restarted and then did the 3.3 update.

So now I could go back to V1.1 on this newest EX475, then update to the latest version 1.8 , then all my servers would match and the connector software would work on them all.
Discovery.exe would work from my client PC's so I could access any of the servers.
Or I could update them all to version 3.3 and use that now, after backing up all the data and backups on the servers I already had. Version 3.3 seems interesting so I might just do this.

I plan to test a client restore out on a new PC I hope to start building this weekend, I plan to install Win10 for now.
I have one question that I think I know the answer to but 100% sure.
In the download named 470 discs at the top of this thread, there are two other files in there named HPMSSRecovery and WHSRSOED_EN.
Are they the Connector software disc, and the client restore disc? And if so which one is which?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:27 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

FrustratedPotato,

Awesome to hear you're making progress and your MSS's are happy!

You wrote:
"There's a download link at the top of this thread with files named HPMSSRecovery and WHSRSOED_EN?"

Are you sure you mean this thread? I can't find that...

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:17 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Oh sorry,
I meant the link named LINKY: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/m2r4t1j ... wsusou_WHS.
It has the mentioned files inside it. At least I think it does. LOL.
I will download it again and see if they are there....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:40 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Damn I am getting senile or something.
I just downloaded the file at the top and it is the WSUS offline installer.
Don't know where I got the WHS v3 install disc files from now, LOL.
I might have clicked through mediafire to quickly and ended up with another download link.
Sorry for my confusion.

Now I can experiment with the offline installer too!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I figured out what I did, I went down rabbit holes(thread after thread) and found the files.
The files I got were from this thread,
http://mediasmartserver.net/forums/view ... &start=255
6 posts down the page you put a link and that's where I got those files I was asking about. LOL
Can you look at them and see if the two I mentioned look like the PC restore and the connector software for V3?
If not no big deal, I did find and ordered the 470/475 V3 software discs so i can check them when they finally arrive.

I might just stay on V1.8 now that I figured out how to update V1.1 to 1.8 with the update patches you linked, so thank you again!

Thanks