It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 61  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:39 pm 
Offline
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:29 am
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts
yakuza wrote:
1TB Western Digital drive for $189.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... caid=17654

picked up 2!!! Amazing deal!


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:19 pm 
Offline
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 188
Thanks: 2
Thanked: 4 times in 4 posts
hestaman wrote:
yakuza wrote:
1TB Western Digital drive for $189.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... caid=17654

picked up 2!!! Amazing deal!


My brother just cautioned me that sometimes buy.com publishes inacurate information. When you get the drive make sure it is the correct brand and model as detailed on the details tab. If not, it may take some effort to get them to make good on it but they probably will.

Let us know what happens.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:46 pm 
Offline
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:29 am
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts
Jeesh - I just looked up buy.com reviews... You really need to look hard to find something positive! Now I'm really wondering if I ought to cancel my order - a good transaction there seems to be the exception...


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:26 pm 
Offline
Founder
Founder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:54 am
Posts: 10704
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks: 622
Thanked: 920 times in 875 posts
I've made numerous purchases from buy.com and never had a problem. They offer good deals sometimes and have fast shipping.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:40 pm 
Offline
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:49 pm
Posts: 485
Location: NASHVILLE, TN
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
yakuza wrote:


ACTUALLY, Are you sure that's a WD drive, Sure a WD drive is pictured in the illustration, but read on in the item description! CAVARLY??????

CAIS01000 is NOT a WD part #. and what the heck is "REGEN" ? ?

Manufacturer: Cavalry
Mfg Part#: CAIS01000

Introducing Cavalry’s new internal high speed backup hard drive system with Regen™ Backup software


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:59 pm 
Offline
Founder
Founder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:54 am
Posts: 10704
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks: 622
Thanked: 920 times in 875 posts
I was going off the WD10EACS part number, my understanding is that it is a rebranded GP drive from Western Digital. Read more here:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=775148


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:06 pm 
Offline
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:41 pm
Posts: 336
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post
That caught my eye, but as noted earlier, it's actually a drive by a manufacturer named "Calvary".

I've never heard of them before, but looking at the reviews on Amazon.com, it sounds like a lot of people don't like the drives:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0 ... r_redirect


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:27 pm 
Offline
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:41 pm
Posts: 336
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post
That's interesting. It does have the Western Digital part number in the "Tech Specs". This means either:

1. You're getting a 1 TB WD Greenpower for $50 off the lowest price on NewEgg.com.
- or -
2. The Buy.com data entry people copied info from a different 1 TB drive in their system to fill in the blanks, but didn't make corrections.

I would find it a little odd if WD would allow Calvary to list a WD part number in their marketing material since it would be a surefire way to canibalize their business. The second theory also seems likely due to the fact that the picture of the item is clearly the Western Digital drive, and I seriously doubt Calvary wouldn't at least be required to slap on their own sticker. If that's the case, then at the very least, the Buy.com staff copied a picture incorrectly.

I'd also be miffed if the Calvary drive really was a rebranded WD Greenpower drive, since I just bought one yesterday for $50 more! :shock:

Those of you who order will have to report back their findings!

PS - I concur with Yakuza, Buy.com is a pretty good operation. The main complaint I have about them is that they barrage you with third-party ads during and after your purchase.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:49 pm 
Offline
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:49 pm
Posts: 485
Location: NASHVILLE, TN
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
you got me. I'd make sure I could return it if it wasn't as advertised!


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:53 pm 
Offline
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:29 am
Posts: 146
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 2 times in 2 posts
Well - guess what? Surprise, surprise, surprise! All mention of 'Western Digital' has been removed from the web page. I went to do a screen capture in case they do just that, but was a bit to late. I guess there's no way to prove that they originally had the drive listed as a Western Digital. Well - I've been burned again! :(

btw - I called to cancel my order, and (no surprise) somebody asian answered the phone (no offense to anybody who is asian - been to China twice and India for 2 months as well...) Communication was VERY difficult and I was told the return took 3-5 business days to process. It conveniently takes 2-3 days to ship orders. It seems that my MSS has a black cloud lingering around it...

buy.com get's a thumbs down from me...


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:35 pm 
Offline
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:41 pm
Posts: 336
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post
If you change your mind about keeping the drives, there IS a way to get your money back (and I know this because I backed out of a $200 universal remote purchase from Buy.com).

Basically all you have to do is refuse delivery. You can leave a note for your delivery man, or call UPS after it's delivered to have them pick up the package and send it back.

It takes a few weeks, and it may take a follow-up phone call, but Buy.com should refund both the purchase price and shipping.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:44 am 
Offline
.5TB storage
.5TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:27 pm
Posts: 23
Location: Central PA
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
Yes, you can certainly refuse delivery from Buy.com, however it comes with a price as I am speaking from recent experience...... I refused an order placed on 12/27/07 to that was returned/accepted back to Buy.com on 1/14/08 - I just got my money refuned on approx 3/7/08!! It took 6 phone calls over 45+ days to get my money back.... It was torturous, waste of time and just simply ridiculous!!

The moral of that story is;

1. Only buy from Buy.com, when no other reasonable option exists

2. Explore their RMA approach as that might have been quicker in the end, however, I didn't want to pay any shipping charges of $38

Anyways, I'll only buy from them again, when I am certain that I will not be returning any merchandise.

_________________
1 HP-MSS (EX475)
1 Dell Studio XPS - Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit (Core i7 & Dual NICs)
1 Dell Studio XPS 13 - Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit (Core 2 Duo)
2 WinXP Pro PC's
6 Tivo's
2 AppleTV's

Gigabit Network (24 Node)
VZ FIOS TV & Data (25/15)


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Drive types
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:55 am 
Offline
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:55 pm
Posts: 130
Location: Nebraska, USA
Thanks: 19
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post
So here's my question. What kind of Drives are people adding to the MSS's? ie EIDE, SATA, SATA II, SCSI

My MSS is loaded with 2 500 GB SCSI drives from the factory, I suspect they all come this way. What are people preferring when it comes to adding new or upgradeing drives?


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: BEST BUY SUCKS!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:08 am 
Offline
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:55 pm
Posts: 130
Location: Nebraska, USA
Thanks: 19
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post
MSSDog wrote:
Yes, you can certainly refuse delivery from Buy.com, however it comes with a price as I am speaking from recent experience...... I refused an order placed on 12/27/07 to that was returned/accepted back to Buy.com on 1/14/08 - I just got my money refuned on approx 3/7/08!! It took 6 phone calls over 45+ days to get my money back.... It was torturous, waste of time and just simply ridiculous!!


The moral of that story is;

1. Only buy from Buy.com, when no other reasonable option exists

2. Explore their RMA approach as that might have been quicker in the end, however, I didn't want to pay any shipping charges of $38

Anyways, I'll only buy from them again, when I am certain that I will not be returning any merchandise.


Best Buy SUCKS!
I recently bought an LCD monitor from Best Buy that fizzled after about 2.5 months of service took it back, of course I got the "It's out of date for replacement since you did'nt purchase the X-Tended Service Plan." Of course I already got rid of my (last) CRT. so after a little bit of arguing I got them to mail it to the manufacture for repair. but who knows when i'll see it again. I ended up buying another one from staples to replace it while it's gone! This is really only the second time I've been burned not purchasing a service plan but I guess that is what you get for purchasing the plan "SERVICE!" I still probably won't purchase many "Service Plans" depending on what I'm buying of course! Thought I'd share my BB experience!
Corey


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: BEST BUY SUCKS!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:34 pm 
Offline
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:49 pm
Posts: 485
Location: NASHVILLE, TN
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post
cbender wrote:
MSSDog wrote:
Yes, you can certainly refuse delivery from Buy.com, however it comes with a price as I am speaking from recent experience...... I refused an order placed on 12/27/07 to that was returned/accepted back to Buy.com on 1/14/08 - I just got my money refuned on approx 3/7/08!! It took 6 phone calls over 45+ days to get my money back.... It was torturous, waste of time and just simply ridiculous!!


The moral of that story is;

1. Only buy from Buy.com, when no other reasonable option exists

2. Explore their RMA approach as that might have been quicker in the end, however, I didn't want to pay any shipping charges of $38

Anyways, I'll only buy from them again, when I am certain that I will not be returning any merchandise.


Best Buy SUCKS!
I recently bought an LCD monitor from Best Buy that fizzled after about 2.5 months of service took it back, of course I got the "It's out of date for replacement since you did'nt purchase the X-Tended Service Plan." Of course I already got rid of my (last) CRT. so after a little bit of arguing I got them to mail it to the manufacture for repair. but who knows when i'll see it again. I ended up buying another one from staples to replace it while it's gone! This is really only the second time I've been burned not purchasing a service plan but I guess that is what you get for purchasing the plan "SERVICE!" I still probably won't purchase many "Service Plans" depending on what I'm buying of course! Thought I'd share my BB experience!
Corey


The previous messages W E R E N ' T talking about BEST BUY.
They were talking about BUY.COM . . . . not the same place buddy . . .


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 61  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group