It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:42 am 
Founder
Founder

Sans Digital TR5UT for $229 with coupon code: EMCKGJJ79

SANS DIGITAL TowerRAID TR5UT-BP 5 Bay USB 3.0 / eSATA Hardware RAID 5 Tower w/ 6G PCIe 2.0 HBA (Black)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:44 am 

Hi Alex and thank you for the great information and support on this site.

I have an EX495 and would like to add an external storage box and wanted to know if the Sans Digital TR5UT-BP unit is compatible with the EX495 eSATA port and would allow me to see all 5 ports. I am interested in the USB 3.0 port on the unit that I can use with another machine if ever my EX495 ever dies on me.

Jalal

Last edited by jhabelrih on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:25 am 
Founder
Founder

Yes, the EX495 supports 5 drives via eSATA port multiplier.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
jhabelrih
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:08 am 

I added the item to my cart, but upon entering the code I get the error: "Although you've entered a valid promo code EMCKGJJ79, your order does not currently meet the code's usage criteria."
I'm going to contact Newegg to see what that criteria might be.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:57 am 
Founder
Founder

The codes usually only last a day, and sometimes you have to be subscribed to their email newsletter to use the code.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:04 am 

Hi Alex,

What would happen to the system if the power supply of the TR5UT unit blows up and the server was using two of the discs inside for the real data and duplicate data? Would I simply be able to buy a new unit and plug the existing discs into it and restart the system? Since I am living in the middle east and I do not have a quick way to get a new unit so what happens to the system until I get the new unit?

Thank you very much,

jalal

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:40 am 
Founder
Founder

Yes, WHS does not care where the drives are connected, simply replace the failed unit and move the drives over.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
jhabelrih
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:35 pm 

jhabelrih wrote:
Hi Alex,

What would happen to the system if the power supply of the TR5UT unit blows up and the server was using two of the discs inside for the real data and duplicate data? Would I simply be able to buy a new unit and plug the existing discs into it and restart the system? Since I am living in the middle east and I do not have a quick way to get a new unit so what happens to the system until I get the new unit?

Thank you very much,

jalal

Like Yakuza said It should Be no problem..

My setup is a EX490 (CPU & Ram Upgraded) and had just purchase about 2 months ago a "Rosewill RSV-S4-X 4 Bay" from Newegg for $99.99 and saw this add for the "SANS DIGITAL TowerRAID TR5UT-BP 5 Bay USB 3.0 / eSATA" box, I was lucky to have convince a friend at work to buy the Rosewill from me for $99.99 ;) and picked up the Sans Digital.

The box it larger about 1 inch all around it is still a nice looking box, when I remove the "Rosewill" box from the system WHS gave my a warning that some drives where missing (obviously), I then swapped hard drives to the new "Sans Digital" box hooked it back up to the WHS and simply rebooted the WHS.

It appears the WHS looks for the hard drives by their serial number once found all is good not data was lost and now my HP EX490 has 5 extra bays (Just need 3 more drives to fill it up).

Some may say it is an over kill to get a 5 Bay RAID box and not use it for raid, but I see it as future proofing, it does have eSATA and USB 3.0 the "Rosewill" only had eSATA port.

This box is great, so far is working fine (I do not shut it off) the fan is a bit annoying it runs at one speed (fast) but is not so loud as to overwhelm my PC's Fans, still it can't beat the Stealthiness quiet of the HP EX490.

I hope this little info helps you.

EDIT
Replaced both stock fans on the Sans Digital box with quieter version and the difference is Night & Day incase anyone is interested I used the following fans:
1. (1)Mini-Kaze 40mm (p/n SY124010L) This fan is slimmer than the factory fan and requires to use the fan connector from the factory fan..
2. (1)S-FLEX 120mm (p/n SFF21D) This fan also requires to use the fan connector from the factory fan and the cage that clips on the old fan will have a tight fit(cage is not needed to install fan).

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jadehawk for this post
jhabelrih
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:44 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

jadehawk wrote:
This box is great, so far is working fine (I do not shut it off) the fan is a bit annoying it runs at one speed (fast) but is not so loud as to overwhelm my PC's Fans, still it can't beat the Stealthiness quiet of the HP EX490.

EDIT
Replaced both stock fans on the Sans Digital box with quieter version and the difference is Night & Day incase anyone is interested I used the following fans:
1. (1)Mini-Kaze 40mm (p/n SY124010L) This fan is slimmer than the factory fan and requires to use the fan connector from the factory fan..
2. (1)S-FLEX 120mm (p/n SFF21D) This fan also requires to use the fan connector from the factory fan and the cage that clips on the old fan will have a tight fit(cage is not needed to install fan).

I have a TR5M-B & new TR5M-BP. I'd like to silence both!

How do you replace the 40mm Power Supply fan? The 40mm fan seems to be encased in the bent together sealed power supply.

Here is a video I took to show where I'm at. (I'm starting with the new TR5M-BP since the -B is in use right now)

http://youtu.be/4D_cC_jp4BI

As you can see problem one is the power supply won't slide out the side. (need 1" more clearance) I don't see a way to take apart the case further) Also, looking at the power supply it doesn't look possible to get inside to replace the 40mm fan. (did you bend/cut into it?) What can I do?

I saw a modified one for sale online and asked the guy how he did it. So far he said he used:
-Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120 x 120 x 25 mm Fan w/ S-FDB Bearing
-Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XM1 40mmx10mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 2800 RPM - 11 dBA

He didnt say "how" he did it though. (replied and asked him) The 120mm is easy of course.

EDIT! I figured it out, stupid me forgot to take out the empty drive bays and then I can work on the power supply. Take out two screws, power supply comes apart, slightly bend to get fan out and done!

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 am 

JazJon wrote:
jadehawk wrote:

EDIT

I have a TR5M-B & new TR5M-BP. I'd like to silence both!

How do you replace the 40mm Power Supply fan? The 40mm fan seems to be encased in the bent together sealed power supply.

Here is a video I took to show where I'm at. (I'm starting with the new TR5M-BP since the -B is in use right now)

http://youtu.be/4D_cC_jp4BI

As you can see problem one is the power supply won't slide out the side. (need 1" more clearance) I don't see a way to take apart the case further) Also, looking at the power supply it doesn't look possible to get inside to replace the 40mm fan. (did you bend/cut into it?) What can I do?

I saw a modified one for sale online and asked the guy how he did it. So far he said he used:
-Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120 x 120 x 25 mm Fan w/ S-FDB Bearing
-Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentFan XM1 40mmx10mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 2800 RPM - 11 dBA

He didnt say "how" he did it though. (replied and asked him) The 120mm is easy of course.

EDIT! I figured it out, stupid me forgot to take out the empty drive bays and then I can work on the power supply. Take out two screws, power supply comes apart, slightly bend to get fan out and done!

Glad you got it working.. I have been very happy with the new fans on my unit.. that small 40mm fan was indeed the loudest fan on the unit. now is whisper quite and I also never shut it off..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:39 pm 

Hi,
I see a few people posted that they changed their fans in their Sans Digital RAID enclosurers. I'm concerned because my hard drives in my TR5UT stay in the mid 40's (Celsius). Anyone notice a drop in hard drive temperature after installing new fans, as that would be my goal... I posted something on the Sans Digital forum, but haven't seen any responses yet. Thanks!

http://www.sansdigital.com/index.php?op ... =4858#4894

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:44 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I've been using two Sans Digital 5 bay units with both Case and Power Supply fan replaced over 12 months now, no problem. Totally quiet and I'm happy.

On a related noise topic..........
If you have noisy chrip'y hard drives, seagate released a firmware update recently by the way.

Example: http://soundcloud.com/user3445428/weird ... nd-seagate

My specific Chip fix was for the 3TB Barracuda (1TB/Disk Platform) one listed here:
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/e ... Q/223651en

All drives: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/e ... Q/207931en

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/13250/

"Seagate Releases CC4H Firmware For 1TB/Disk Barracuda Hard Drives - Fixes Chirping
Today, Seagate released a firmware upgrade for the Barracuda (1TB/disk) family of hard drives (models ST3000DM001, ST2500DM001, ST2000DM001 and ST1000DM003). The new firmware download, version CC4H, is recommended to enhance the performance and/or reliability of the drive. Previous versions of firmware with these models and part numbers are CC46, CC47, CC49, CC4C, or CC4G. The upgrade is a free download available here and we are told that this helps with the chirping noises that some users are complaining about."

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:42:22 pm by JazJon »

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:47 pm 

Thanks JazJon! Looks like my Seagate model doesn't have a firmware update... Do you happen to know the temperatures of your hard drives in the Sans Digital units by chance? Just curious how they compare...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:09 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm about to move my enclosures from my WHS 2011 box to be directly connected to my HTPC in the livingroom. (and will use http://flexraid.com) They have built in SMART monitoring etc and I'll see what it says then. My WHS is a temp HP MicroServer (which I'll be returning to Amazon) and it looks like I can't read SMART info via the AMD SATA controller for some reason. I just set this up last week and I'm disapointed. That's why I'm giving up on WHS for Media Pooled storage all together and moving things to the HTPC via FlexRaid. I'll check temps then. (I used to have it on a EX495 and I'm pretty sure I could read temps then)

Does anyone know of a good PCIe 1x eSata card that supports Port Multiplier and S.M.A.R.T. data is passed through correctly?

8GB RAM

Thanks