It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Searching in this forum on Mac/OSX/OS X came up empty so...

Installing Vail on VMWare Fusion went just fine. I gave it 2 CPUs, 2GB of RAM and a 200GB disk. The connector software installed fine. I don't know what is going on with the backup option, but it's interesting to see the Mac show up on the main backup screen. That would be very cool if Mac backups were integrated into the OS rather than being a vendor addition as they are with V1. I have nearly 2TB of free disk space on my Mac Pro, so I may see if I can give some of that disk to the VM and get Time Machine working.

64 bit iTunes 10.0.1 installs without error. It displays the usual audio error on being run, but opens normally after you click through the dialog.

Thumbnail of a BIG screencap:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:10 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I played around a little with Time Machine yesterday and it appears to work, sort of. I had to manually create the sparsebundle file with disk utility and copy it to a share on the Vail VM. Once I did this TM recognized the share as a valid TM target and the backup completed successfully. As you can see from the screencap, TM backups are integrated into Vail although this beta is definitely not yet release quality software in that regard.

Attachments:
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 9.05.17 AM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 9.05.17 AM.png [ 657.82 KiB | Viewed 20549 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:51 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm toying around with testing Vail, since it will likely be what I go to next. I have a 13" Macbook Pro with VMWare Fusion running Windows 7. I was looking up installing Vail in VMWare Server on my MSS. Should I install it on my MSS or MBP test it out. Not really going to be adding much to the storage of Vail. I would like to test out backing up my MBP to Vail to see how it works, though I don't have enough HDD space on my MBP to back a VM large enough for a back up. Any suggestions? I like how you are running all this on your Mac Pro. If Mac Pro had a bunch of empty HDD bays I would like to make that my next WHS, but only 4 is what I have in my MSS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:17 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I removed this Vail VM from my environment. With the removal of drive extender from WHSv2 it is no longer a valid test environment, plus I had tested the functionality I wanted to test. I excluded a lot of data in the Time Machine configuration on the client to make sure the resulting backup would be small. I set this up to test connectivity and basic functionality, and I was able to complete those tests successfully.

I don't want to run a production server as a guest operating system on a Mac Pro. For one thing a Mac Pro an expensive piece of hardware with limited capacity and inflexible options for internal storage. My use of the machine is not always consistent with the requirement of a production server to be always available with sufficient system resources dedicated to the services it hosts. I can build a Windows server for considerably less cash, in fact such a server is linked to in my signature.

I don't think a headless unit like the MSS is well-suited to be a VMWare or Hyper-V host, so I personally would not go that route.

Small Business Server 2011 was very recently released to manufacturing. If it directly supports client backups to include Time Machine backups, then I will probably retire my WHS server and migrate completely to SBS. I am currently running an SBS 2008 server that is providing basic networking services (DNS/DHCP/AD) and hosts an Exchange email server. I would prefer to consolidate all my Windows-related services into the one box if I can.

This thread will tell you how to set up Time Machine for a test: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/dfc063d9-304a-4f33-ab8a-58d4a7eb63d1/#34a221aa-4e1b-4eac-8d23-f96a53655cd6, but I'd be inclined to hold off until Microsoft releases its next beta for Vail.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:38 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

My goal sometime in the next year is to build a bigger more powerful server for storage and streaming. I've started backing up my families computers to my MSS. Since I am the family IT person, it will make my job easier when I have to fix their messes. I wish Mac made a expandable media & storage server like a slightly bigger MSS. I want to test Vail since it will likely be what I go to next. I am very disappointed in the removal of DE. I don't see myself going as extreme as SBS because of the OS price. The only other OS would maybe be Windows Storage Server depending on the price and Time Machine backup, that's a must. I'm just looking for a way to test the functionality and UI of Vail. My only machines are my MBP and MSS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:04 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I'd just use your MBP to test Vail in a VM. You can always buy an inexpensive external drive if you need to augment your drive space for testing.

Storage server is being targeted to the storage vendors and is not a general purpose operating system. The next version (Breckenridge) won't have a drive extender-type feature either.

I haven't decided on my next storage strategy. Fortunately for me I am not one of the guys who is trying to clone DVDs or BRDs onto hard drives so I don't need massive amounts of storage with a steep growth rate. My current largest share, my iTunes library, is presently 1.25TB and I expect its growth rate to slow from what it has been over the past couple of years (I am running out of movies that I like well enough to want available on disk). The current drives are of sufficient size to host one or more large shares each with enough room left over for the smaller shares. With a little planning I can set up a couple of RAID 1 mirrors and meet my needs without having to create a more complicated solution.

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]