It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Luckily the system I've just built posted fine on it's first boot, and Vail installed without a hitch. Lucky me.

1) Being that this is a new setup, I'd like to monitor the temps for a week or two until everything is broken in and I'm comfortable with the cooling. Is there a more clever way to do this with Vail rather then remote accessing the server and checking speedfan or CPUID? I haven't really seen add-ins for Vail yet unless I've missed something.

2) I realize this is beta software and odds are I will have to reinstall multiple times on it's way to release. This link states that you "should" (obviously it's not guaranteed) not lose data on your storage drives following these steps to re-add them to the storage pool. (I don't know what "Non-default/default storage pools" are yet, but I'm sure I'll figure that out in time)
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/eee457f9-3fc5-46a3-94a2-456bfdfb79ec
Now I'm going to make sure that during this beta period that I keep all of my music/photos backed up in multiple locations, so the only thing I would be at risk of losing is "some" of the dvd's I will rip that will not fit on my existing external drives. I'm okay with this risk, but has anyone done a reinstall of vail yet and added drives back to the pool?

[EDIT] I didn't read through to the end, sounds like it may be a likely scenario that you will not be able to use the storage created on a beta version of Vail with the RTM release. Also looks like someone had an issue with this method recognizing drive space in the dashboard and had to re-format the drives anyways after his re-install. FYI [EDIT]

Also, if something was to happen to the server, could I connect a drive from the server to a pc and read the data off it to copy things over? I will have multiple drives installed with data redundancy.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:17 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

bvone21 wrote:
1) Being that this is a new setup, I'd like to monitor the temps for a week or two until everything is broken in and I'm comfortable with the cooling. Is there a more clever way to do this with Vail rather then remote accessing the server and checking speedfan or CPUID? I haven't really seen add-ins for Vail yet unless I've missed something.

There are no add-ins yet for Vail that can monitor drive temps. Speedfan or CPUID are your best bets for now.
Quote:
... but has anyone done a reinstall of vail yet and added drives back to the pool?

I have not done this yet. You might check or ask at the Microsoft Vail forum.
Quote:
Also, if something was to happen to the server, could I connect a drive from the server to a pc and read the data off it to copy things over? I will have multiple drives installed with data redundancy.

No. This is one of the new features of DE which has caused the most concern amongst beta testers. Supposedly, you can add the Vail storage pool from a failed server to another Vail server's storage pool to preserve the data.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:22 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

cavediver wrote:
No. This is one of the new features of DE which has caused the most concern amongst beta testers. Supposedly, you can add the Vail storage pool from a failed server to another Vail server's storage pool to preserve the data.

Hmmm...yeah that's a bit un-nerving.

Especially in a simple home setup, where I may not be able to get the server up and running so quickly, or what if I switch to a linux based server, etc. There really ought to be an accessible data recovery solution available.

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]