It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I get through the first part of the install where the drive is partioned/formated and the files are loaded. However, after the reboot I will let it sit for hours and will not be able to access the server via ping, rdp, or http. I wondered there was some window open waiting for user itervention, so I hit enter on the keyboard and the server rebooted. I waited about an hour and still did not have access. I hit enter again and the server rebooted. I then waited just a couple of minutes until I didn't hear any HD activity and hit enter, and the server rebooted again. Any idea on what window might be open asking for a reboot?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

joshbish wrote:
I get through the first part of the install where the drive is partioned/formated and the files are loaded. However, after the reboot I will let it sit for hours and will not be able to access the server via ping, rdp, or http. I wondered there was some window open waiting for user itervention, so I hit enter on the keyboard and the server rebooted. I waited about an hour and still did not have access. I hit enter again and the server rebooted. I then waited just a couple of minutes until I didn't hear any HD activity and hit enter, and the server rebooted again. Any idea on what window might be open asking for a reboot?

Did you follow Alex's and Nigel's instructions for installing Vail to a MSS to the letter? Did you set up your installation thumbdrive as per the guide? Did you remove all other USB devices except for the installation thumb drive and the keyboard? Did you creat the ini file exactly as per the guide? Are you starting with clean disks? If so, then you may need to get a debug cable and attach a monitor so you can see what's going on.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:14 pm 
Founder
Founder

Good questions from cavediver above. My top ideas:
- The disk is clean, every time you try the install
- Network cable is connected and server can get internet access
- Double-check the ini file config is correct

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:19 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yep to all. I've done it about a half a dozen times now. I even corrected some characters in cfg file in the event that it was case sensitive (I was trying anything at that point). I am using a WD drive, but I don't think it uses "Advanced Format". The only thing I have found is that some WD Green drives use AF, but the one I am using is a Blue (WD5000AAKS).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:26 pm 
Founder
Founder

That drive should be fine. It's a long shot, but have you upgraded the CPU?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:34 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I think, given the problems you're having, without a debug cable and a monitor attached, it's going to be pretty difficult to diagnose your problem. I have one and was prepared to use it if necessary, but luckily didn't have to.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:31 pm 

I too have this same issue EX470. I tested my usb unattended install on a Dell Desktop with the same HD. Just booted from usb and let it run. worked without issue on the dell. I clean the drive and put in back in the EX470 boot from usb. Its boots(light on usb flashes for about 30 seconds) then nothing. I do have an upgraded CPU but don ot have debug cable to see what is going on.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have two log files under "$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther" that seem to indicate the the install went off without a hitch. Are there any Windows startup logs that I can look at?

Attachments:
setup.txt [13.2 KiB]
Downloaded 457 times
setupact.txt [162.15 KiB]
Downloaded 472 times

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]