It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: WHS 2011 RC / EX470
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:13 pm 

I decided to test the RC on the EX470 so I followed the 'Vail' beta instructions but using the ISO of the Release Candidate.

So far it appears to be happily installing, the HDD activity light on my USB drive is flashing away. I don't have a debug board so I can't watch progress.

I'll post updates if it works / doesn't work.

18:30 Server has just rebooted, its got to the "blinking aqua light" stage! Stage 1 took about 25 minutes.
18:35 Second reboot. Looking promising.
18:40 I'm in! Whole thing took about 40 minutes.

Attachment:
WHS2011_EX470.png
WHS2011_EX470.png [ 201.45 KiB | Viewed 27910 times ]

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank feedidy for this post
chrisromer, yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: WHS 2011 RC / EX470
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

How does it run on the older technology?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:54 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
How does it run on the older technology?

The file server side is fine, OS is snappy and not noticeably slower than WHS V1

The Remote Access media streamer defaulted to "Low" quality, but it seems to stream OK.

Edit

The RC seems to play A LOT more file formats over Remote Access than the Public Beta

It's picked up nearly my entire video collection which is in all sorts of weird and wonderful formats.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:26 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Do you have a iPhone or Droid? They state that the remote access screens are customized for those phones. how do they work and look in person. Very exciting news.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Dumb question maybe but is WHS 2011 RC something I have to purchase locally, download, get as an upgrade? Wondering if it is worth it, my EX470 is stock, except for the 2GB Ram.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:45 pm 

You can download the ISO files and obtain a key from Microsoft Connect Site http://connect.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver

Installing WHS 2011RC will mean a fresh install. If you use your existing drives you will lose everything on them. It may be better to just use a different set of drives so that you can keep your current server setup should you opt to go back to WHS v1.

You would also have to do a blind install unless you have a debug cable installed which would provide you a video output which would make installing the software must easier. viewtopic.php?t=8066

Here is a listing of the different guides to installing Vail which appear to work for installing WHS 2011RC

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/tag/vail/page/3/

If you do have an interest in this you may want to consider building a unit just to run this OS and should you decided you do not like it then you can always install WHS v1 and in doing so chose just how much horsepower you need under the hood. The neat thing about doing this is that you can repurpose the build for just about anything you like.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:32 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Do you have a iPhone or Droid? They state that the remote access screens are customized for those phones. how do they work and look in person. Very exciting news.

I do - I'll check on my iPhone this evening after work

Comp1962 wrote:
Here is a listing of the different guides to installing Vail which appear to work for installing WHS 2011RC

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/tag/vail/page/3/

The new OOBE seems to ignore some settings in the Vail cfg.ini - The server set itself up as SERVER and I had to go to http://server/connect to continue the OOBE portion of setup where you set the Server Name, Administrator Password, EULA, Product Key, etc.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:03 am 

T-Bone wrote:

View from iPod

Image Image Image Image

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank feedidy for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:46 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Just installed on my EX475, took me a number of tries since I don't have a VGA cable but it finaly worked. Seems to work rather well but the CPU doesn't like to do the video streaming very well. Everything else works fast and snappy.

No drive lights but that is expected
Flashing blue health light but that is expected

I'm going to use it as a test box along side my EX490 with half my house using one and the other half using the other.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:25 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I failing to see the point of vail for the home user. Right now it doesn't offer me anything better than what I have with V1. Sure it's has a modern OS and is pretty snappy but for what the box will be doing it's really not needed as I won't be going into it daily to do things.

Setting up new drives is actually harder as once it's setup you have to move a share to it to use it, how many home users are going to know to do that?

Server backup, what home user is going to buy this and then buy an external drive with it just to do backups?

Streaming video/music, V1 already does this and to be honest why would I want to stream it via silver light when I can just click on the file and use my computer to watch it native? It doesn't stream to the iPad or Andriod so I am failing to see the point.

Picture slide show, with all the other online services that host pictures that are much more popular and in much more use I don't see the point of this.

Computer backups work the same so no big win or loss here.

As it's been said time and time again this product is no longer for the average home user, this will not get me out of the friend and family IT support bussiness. I would not recommend this to any of them as I know I will be stuck doing support for it where as V1 one was a setup and forget it device that actually made my life and thiers easier and safer. ](*,)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:50 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Im failing to see what the benifits of Vail are over a simple Desktop OS. Besides the cool add-in's nothing in my book.

Ill be honest I would love the more customizable Remote access page and the iPhone remote screens. besides that Vail would be more of a hassle then a help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:21 pm 

I'd prefer it if we kept this thread about using WHS 2011 on EX47x hardware, rather than discussing the relative merits and failures in WHS 2011 - it's an argument that will go on forever and in the end helps nobody.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:35 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I think it's actually on topic as people will want to know if it's worth the effort to get it installed and lose and gain features from V1.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:51 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Sorry, I thought this was the other thread I started.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 pm 

murchman wrote:
I think it's actually on topic as people will want to know if it's worth the effort to get it installed and lose and gain features from V1.

I just feel there is a rather vocal section of the WHS user base that uses any thread about WHS 2011 to trot out their frankly tired and repetitive arguments about the removal of drive extender.

Rightly or wrongly, it's gone now and there isn't a great deal that can be done about it. I for one would prefer to try and move forwards positively than just going round in circles.

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next