It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: WHS 2011 RC / EX470
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:32 pm 
Founder
Founder

feedidy wrote:
I'd prefer it if we kept this thread about using WHS 2011 on EX47x hardware, rather than discussing the relative merits and failures in WHS 2011 - it's an argument that will go on forever and in the end helps nobody.

I agree with this, there are plenty of other topics to discuss the features, lack of features, and merits of WHS 2011 as a home solution.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:39 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

That's the great thing about software you can change it as will and I believe it's the hope of everyone that if we don't let it die someone at Microsoft with enough power will bring it back. I have worked in the corporate software world long enough to know that no choice is final and change is the only constant.

Now to keep this on topic, if we are going to run V2 on this hardware we are going to need some fan control. The LEDs can be done without since they no longer are needed to tell if a drive was setup or having issues. The fan’s though are needed, I was having the server stream a a video at high resolution for 2 hours and the heat was climbing but the fans were not spinning any higher to help lower the temps. Without fan control V2 will end up cooking the hardware if it’s not watched and features are not turned off.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:28 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

sorry again
I mixed up my forum threads.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:38 am 

murchman wrote:
That's the great thing about software you can change it as will and I believe it's the hope of everyone that if we don't let it die someone at Microsoft with enough power will bring it back. I have worked in the corporate software world long enough to know that no choice is final and change is the only constant.

Now to keep this on topic, if we are going to run V2 on this hardware we are going to need some fan control. The LEDs can be done without since they no longer are needed to tell if a drive was setup or having issues. The fan’s though are needed, I was having the server stream a a video at high resolution for 2 hours and the heat was climbing but the fans were not spinning any higher to help lower the temps. Without fan control V2 will end up cooking the hardware if it’s not watched and features are not turned off.

The problem is that the Fan Service is expecting a device driver to be present, which isn't.

I'm not sure how complicated it would be to write a driver, I haven't got much experience with low-level C programming.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 am 

murchman wrote:
I failing to see the point of vail for the home user. Right now it doesn't offer me anything better than what I have with V1. Sure it's has a modern OS and is pretty snappy but for what the box will be doing it's really not needed as I won't be going into it daily to do things.

...SNIP...

As it's been said time and time again this product is no longer for the average home user, this will not get me out of the friend and family IT support bussiness. I would not recommend this to any of them as I know I will be stuck doing support for it where as V1 one was a setup and forget it device that actually made my life and thiers easier and safer. ](*,)

I think you answered your own question. It's a good fit for the home user, that isn't the average user, and is really done with Drive Extender's goofiness.

Thanks for the info, OP. Trying this on my EX470 today.

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2