It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Server Restore
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:29 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have been trying to do a restore on the X510 for the past 3 hours. I have tried everything, shutting down the antivirus, firewall and then connected it directly to a pc.

I have tried this at least 10 times and it always fails on 2,3,or 4. I have searched and tried some of the suggestions but just can't get this to do a restore. The network light is on so it's making a connection and it does recognized my pc and sever but then fails.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Server Restore
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:00 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I had a situation like that and it seemed like the PC was timing out on accessing the CD reader (don't ask me how or why). Try copying the entire contents of the Restore CD to a directory on your desktop and execute from there. I had to do that on that one restore using that one PC, but since then other restores have gone off without a hitch using another PC. No promises that this will work, but I'd give it a try.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank TechVet for this post
Iggy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:24 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I will give that a try. I know the disk that came with the HP was terrible, my drive had a hard time reading it so I had made a copy of it and was using that. I'll try it from the hard drive. I'll let you know.
Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:46 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

It still won't restore, error 3, I tried it 4 times now. This is turning into a real mess. This is a replacement unit I got on Friday. The lan on my original one died so they sent out this refurb. When I got it the system drive was very hard to install but finally got it. The unit was pretty dusty inside too. I did have it up and running but then I booted it up and it took 1/2 hour to boot. When it did it said that the 2nd data drive was corrupt. I was unable to access any of the file.

However, strange as it is, When I turned on my PopcornHour, it went right to the HP directory since that was the last placed it accessed and all the files were playable. Even the ones on the second drive. That drive is about 70% full and is a 2tb drive. I have almost all the files on it backed up except a few and I can't get to them on the pc but the popcornhour can play them.

HP is sending out another unit. probably another refurb. If its dusty inside and looks like it had a lot of wear, i'm calling them immediately. The replacement i just got looks like someone had drives in and out of it since all the paint was worn off the drive rails inside.

But this still should do a restore, I don't know what wrong with it. I can restore my Acer and Home built servers real easy.

My server (5 months old) isn't on 24/7 and I don't experiment with it and i'm not going to take one that looks like someone has.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

This is crazy. After trying for another 4 hours, I finally got it to the point where it asked me if I want to do a Recover or Restore, I tried to do a recover, 2 times, once it started to restore after a couple of minutes it says it failed, the server could not communicate with the pc.

So I installed a brand new drive, took out all the other drives and got as far as doing a server restore. After a minute or two i got the same message. Cannot communicate with the pc.

After spending 8 hours on this i am giving up. Hp is sending out another unit so I'll see what happens with that one.

I had planned on buying another X510 while they were still availabe but this had changed my mine. My home built and Acer have no problems doing a restore. Plus I don't know why the second drive got corrupt to begin with.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:27 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You are directly connected to the server with a cable and your PC is using a 32 bit OS?
I had no problem resetting mine with a new 2TB drive, took about an hour, I used my netbook and a external dvd-rw as netbooks don't have an internal.

Also, I always say have 1 drive non pooled to backup the folders on [just in case]. Makes resetting much less painfull.
Good luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:50 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Iggy wrote:
This is crazy. After trying for another 4 hours, I finally got it to the point where it asked me if I want to do a Recover or Restore, I tried to do a recover, 2 times, once it started to restore after a couple of minutes it says it failed, the server could not communicate with the pc.

So I installed a brand new drive, took out all the other drives and got as far as doing a server restore. After a minute or two i got the same message. Cannot communicate with the pc.

After spending 8 hours on this i am giving up. Hp is sending out another unit so I'll see what happens with that one.

I had planned on buying another X510 while they were still availabe but this had changed my mine. My home built and Acer have no problems doing a restore. Plus I don't know why the second drive got corrupt to begin with.

Connect the server directly to your pc. Which I believe you did.

If you still have trouble connecting to it directly, go in and temporarly change you PC IP address to:
IP 169.37.37.38
Subnet 255.255.0.0
Gateway blank
DNS blank

This is what I had to do. Hp walked me through this. Once it downloads the data from the disc and reboots you can connect it back to the network and finish installing. And don't forget to change your pc IP address back to what is was. I don't know why it wouldn't find it over the network, my Acer works fine and so does my home built WHS.

Another tip, copy the recovery disc to your hard drive and do the recovery from there, it's much faster than doing it from the cd.

I am in a bit of a hurry so I hope this makes sense.

Edit, I guess I was in a hurry, I just replied to my own post. I was a little tired, I was clearing 4 feet of snow in front of my drive so I could get a new fridge delivered.

Last edited by Iggy on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:23 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

The troubleshooting section on the wiki helps with this. I had the same issue, if you are using a laptop be sure that your wifi is not connected.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... _and_EX495

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:23 am 

I'm having the same problem here. First time it seemed to get ready for the server recovery, but it failed. Now I always stop at step 2 or 4. Any explanation for what it means when the process stops at step 4? Thanks.

Thanks