It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:36 am 

I recently inherited a Data Vault X510 with the E5200, 2GB RAM and a pair of 1TB drives.
While playing around with different CPU's and memory samples, I seem to have hosed my Data Vault X510 before even getting it set up.
I had it running out of the case with an E8500 and a 2GB stick of PC2-8500 RAM in it.
The RAM heatsink was too high to fit in the case, however, so I tried another 2GB stick of PC2-8500 RAM that was lower in profile.
When I powered it up, still out of the case, it wouldn't start.
When plugged in, the fans start at a very low speed and the power indicator in front is lit.
Pushing the power button in produces no result and the fans and power indicator stay on until the power cord is unplugged.
Pressing the recessed reset button in front for 10-15 seconds failed to change anything.
I took it apart, removed the CMOS battery and put the CMOS jumper in the clear position for about 5 minutes, but that did nothing.
I've had other motherboards respond to leaving the battery out and jumper in the clear position for a day or so, but after leaving it like that for about a day, then reassembling with the original CPU and RAM, there was still no change.

I figured I better look into replacement parts or an entire unit.

I found a company that carries the Wistron 532837-ZH1 motherboard, but they have none in stock.

I decided to see what was available on eBay and was surprised to see $500 as an average price tag for a X510, while the EX490 can be had for $175.

If you take the CPU, memory and hard drives out of the picture, is there any difference between the two?
Are there any software packages on one that aren't included with the other?
Will the server recovery disc of the X510 work on the EX490?
Data loss is not a concern, as my X510 had no data on it.

Any cogent thoughts are welcome.

Last edited by ggathagan on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:54 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

As far as I know the X-510 and EX-490 and EX-495 are the same hardware.
The x-510 software was a little different but not much, I know the x-510 software can be put on the ex-490 and ex-495 no problem, so I would assume it would go the other way.

Sorry to hear, sounds like you had a nice unit and now it is down. Shame.
The small hole (button) on the front is not a reset button per say. It is used to put the system in recovery mode on boot up when you are going to recover or factory reset it.

I run 4 gig sticks of ram in mine and the cpu 's are E5800 If I remember right. My 510's very rarely use more then 2 gig memory, but it did give them some breathing room, the cpu upgrade was nice, lowered temps and made the system faster for sure.

At least you will have the 510 for spare parts as everything will fit. Power supply / drive trays/ etc.
As you get into this, shout out if you have questions, or do some reading, their is lots of great stuff here and lots of great people to help.
Pulling the bios battery and playing with jumpers was most likely what gave you the problems.

As far as I know the Bios are locked unless you install a jumper on the board that is normally not there. Once you do that you might as well get the video adapter so you can see what you are doing. They don't cost much and will allow you to put different OS'es on the server.
Good luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:53 pm 

Thanks for the info, Gardian

I didn't try removing the battery and moving what I assume is the clear CMOS jumper (JP1) until after the system stopped working properly, so I can't agree with you as to the cause of the problems.
At any rate, those actions would not damage a motherboard; they're the standard procedure for clearing the BIOS.

One of the first things I did was to buy Kalapati's excellent cable, which came with the necessary jumper for the motherboard.

The very first thing I did when I got this unit was to delete the partitions on both 1TB drives and use the server recovery disc to reinstall the OS from scratch.
All that worked without issue.
Once I received the cable and jumper, I installed those, started the NAS and was able to treat it like a normal computer.
I rebooted it and had a look at the BIOS settings. I noted the the BIOS had memory settings for 1066MHz memory.

Among my spare parts, I have an E6400, an E6600, an E8500 and six sticks of DDR2 RAM.
Two of the RAM are PC2-6400(800MHz) and four are PC2-8500(1066MHz).
Two of the PC2-8500 sticks are from Corsair's Dominator series, which have oversize heat sinks.
Those are 2GB sticks.

The other four sticks are from Corsair's XMS2 series, which still have heat sinks, but are normal height.
Those are all 1GB sticks. Two are PC2-6400 and two are PC2-8500.

All of those RAM sticks require higher voltages to reach their rated speed, but I figured that the RAM rated for PC2-8500 at 2.10v would run fine at PC2-6400 and stock voltages.

Since the Dominator RAM is the most robust, that was the RAM I tried first.
Due to its height, I pulled the PSU/motherboard unit out of the case, plugged the back-plane into its slot without the hard drives and attached a pair of 120mm fans to the back-plane for cooling.

I used a boot-able Linux USB stick so that I could do something besides just cruising around in the BIOS.
That all ran fine, so I swapped out the memory for one of the 1GB sticks of the lower-profile PC2-8500 and put the unit back together.

That is where my problems started.

I can't remember if the current symptoms (fans spinning at low speed and the front power indicator lit in aqua) started the moment I plugged in the power cord or if they started when I pressed the power button.

Right now, however, those symptoms start as soon as the power cord is inserted.
My initial description on the current symptoms wasn't complete.
When the power cord is inserted, there is no front panel activity a few seconds.
Then the power indicator will light aqua and the health indicator will light purple for about 5 seconds, then go dark.
After that, the power indicator remains lit and the fans spin slowly.

My next steps will be to take all the CPU's and memory try them on a system I have at work.
That's the only other system with an 775 CPU socket that I have.
I doubt they're damaged, but it's worth the effort for confirmation.

I doubt HP did any customized design for the power, so the motherboard's 20-pin power connector is probably the stock configuration.
Once I test the CPU's and RAM, I'll try another PSU just to eliminate that as a source of the problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:15 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The pin out on the power supply is "Not" standard.
There is a thread about power supplies in the EX-490 section about the power supplies and the pinout..
The x-510 was not known for blowing power supplies, the EX-470 yes.
Most have purchased replacement power supplies that are pinned correctly off ebay.
The best ones (and the spares I have ) were purchased for the seller for the UK I believe.

Here is a guide about the power supplies:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/05/29/more-on-the-mediasmart-server-power-supply/

Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks