It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:27 pm 

Maybe I've been reading too much and confusing myself here. I thought I read somewhere that WHS1 (2003) can handle 3TB drives/slot but after receiving 3 Toshiba 3GB drives today, they don't report 3TB but 746.39GB each.
Searching the net, one solution was to install Intel's RST 10, but that requires .Net 4.5 which won't install on 2003 Server.
Another suggested formatting the drive in GPT, which I did in a Win 7 machine but didn't change the result.
Has anyone got advice on this? :oops:

Update
I figured it out, although it may not be the best solution as it effectively disables drive pooling but works for me - cheap and nasty!
1. Format the HD as GPT (simple volume) in another machine.
2. Install the drive(s) in the x510 (I have 3x3TB)
- Log in via Remote Desktop and through the WHS Connect so you can switch from one to another.
3. Add your drives as WHS Backup. Even though it reports as 746MB, as a 'backup drive' it recognises it as 2.79TB
- I copied media files from the existing WHS drives to one of the 3TB drives so I could remove them and replace them with the new 3TB drives.
4. Create a Share on every new drive: User- Everyone with full access. Name the share as you want and add a description i.e. G Series DV
5. OPTIONAL Using RD go to Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Shared Folders/Shares and delete all the shared folders that the WHS OS created like Photos/Music etc. I didn't need these anymore.
6. OPTIONAL Switch OFF all the WHS apps like Twonky/Media Collector/Video Converter/Backups etc - You don't need them in this new configuration.

So now I have 9TB of media and backup drives, all shared on the network with a clean uncluttered UI, and I didn't have to install an updated OS to make it work. Soon, I'll buy myself another drive and port the OS install across. I have 2 laptops, 1 Win8 tablet and about 3 external drives + a 4 TB server that I'm copying across to the WHS.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:11 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

There is a way to use the 3TB drives as OS and POOL. I have not done it but one of the users in these fourms that goes by DieHard is running his with 3 tb.

There is some kind of voodoo you have to do to them, but if your way works, that fine.

Otherwise, search for Diehard and maybe in the 490 hardware thread you should be able to find out how to do it.

I have used 4 tb red drives GPT as non-pooled backup drives, but when the data inside them went over 2 tb they went RAW and would not recover or reformat and I had to RMA both of them.
I put them in my DIY win2012E box for down the road.

I have 4 510, so I will stay with the 2tb drives and splitup my data when it outgrows the one box.

Will most likely put the Videos on one and photos/music on the other.

Good luck and thx for sharing. I plan on using whs v1 for as long as I can and also plan on using win7 for as long as I can.
Mediasmart Rocks! :chicken:

P.S. Here is a link with other links on how to do this.
https://spackle.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/going-for-3tb-in-whs-v1/

It seemed to depend on what brand/type 3 tb drives you had. Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:24 pm 

I had struck a few hard walls with the 3TB drives.
I found that by setting them as backup drives as far as WHS was concerned AND partitioned them into 2 simple drives (volumes) - 1x2TB and 1x1TB it all worked out after some serious testing. BTW I also had WHS wipe the HDs when they exceeded 2TB, but I managed to recover them by using a Win 7 machine/Computer Management/Disk Management. No issues in deleting the screwed up partitions and reformatting them except for time.
So by setting up security and sharing for each volume, I've got it working: Series on 1 drive and Movies on another and Backup on the 3rd.

Somehow the Media Connect Service has stopped working and no amount of fiddling with the Services will get it to function. I'm reluctant to re-install the OS at this point. If I do, I'll be sticking in another large capacity drive for the boot disk. It's not critical as I do pretty much everything with remote desktop anyway.
The only real bother I have is that the stock drive shares are always recreated, visually messing up my network with the WHS shares I don't use.
Maybe I'll try an unattended install of Win 7 or 8 later on.
I'll keep reading and educating myself though :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well whenever you add a pool drive the os will reformat the drive. create a mappoint that stores the drive info.
Since whs1 only supports a max of 2tb that is what you get.
However when adding a backup drive you have the option of electing not to reformat it.
But it is not part of the drive pool. And you have some limitations for file access.

When ever you reinstall the os(recovery not reset) it will ignore the backup drives and you need to manually add them back in without formatting and then add all the share info again.

Unless you want to try the clone os drive method.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:40 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3633-how-to-windows-home-server-v1-in-ahci-mode-on-a-hp-microserver/

This is an older post, but I believe it has DieHard instructions on how to use 3 tb drives with Whs V1 as OS and Pooled.
Sounds like the video cable/A bios adjustment and a new driver is a good start.
Good Luck.
let us know how it goes.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks