It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: X310 disassembly tips?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:52 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I decided to upgrade my unit with a set of drives i scavenged from PC upgrades, and suddenly it had 4 2TB drives with 7200rpm rotational speeds.
Not that long after this was done, i noticed smart warnings about temperature. Go figure, right?
The PSU fan has started making a bit of noise, so i'm guessing it's bearing time there, and the 80mm exhaust fan probably just needs to be upgraded to a faster one. Looking in to the case it looks like there is a second spot for such a fan thats just taped shut, this one might get populated as well. But, not wanting to be to aggressive with the poor thing, i haven't been able to figure out how to get in to it. And in the mean time it's going to remain shut down, which wasn't the intended outcome of the upgrade, so, anyone have an advice as to how i crack the shell on this thing? I even seam to remember having been in to it once already, but now i just cant figure it out. Must be the season, no vitamin D from the sun... At least thats what i'm going to blame it on.

Thank you for your time and effort.
B!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:54 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Still haven't managed to figure out how to get to the mainboard on this thing, but i managed to hack on two new fans. It would have been easy if i could have gotten the back plastic cover off, but that also didn't happen.
From what my memory told me it should be like, and what it turned out to be, i concluded that what ever system i thought this was and i've been through, it wasn't this one. I've never taken this one apart, thats for sure. And that remains true still. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get the back cover off, and get at the PSU / motherboard, let me know.

B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:03 am 

Mr B wrote:
Still haven't managed to figure out how to get to the mainboard on this thing, but i managed to hack on two new fans. It would have been easy if i could have gotten the back plastic cover off, but that also didn't happen.
From what my memory told me it should be like, and what it turned out to be, i concluded that what ever system i thought this was and i've been through, it wasn't this one. I've never taken this one apart, thats for sure. And that remains true still. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get the back cover off, and get at the PSU / motherboard, let me know.

B!

I assume after 6 months you finally figured it out! But incase you've had a busy year, its all about taking the top off first (by pressing in the black clip above bay 4, and pulling forward) then pressing in the two clips near the top of the back and pulling up.

Then to take the mainboard out, you have to unlatch the SATA board with the two blue, spinning clips, disconnect the fan and pull up. Unscrew the two screws on behind the front panel (the ones that face you when you take off the front locking mesh) and carefully pull the whole sucker out.

If anyone needs any pics just ask or shoot me a PM. Hope this helps!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:10 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Yeah, i managed to sit down with it and have a good go, and figured it out. Didn't get the rear plastic cover of, but i gave up on it, it will just have to remain seated. The fans are stuck to the metal backplate, fairly well. I's like to cut away a bit more material for better airflow, since it still warns about high temperature, but... sod it.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:26 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Some upgrade to faster/more efficient fans.
Some cut out the finer mesh screen to let more air flow.
Some have had problems if the server is in an area where it doesn't get some fresh air.
And sometimes it just needs some canned air and blasted/cleaned out.
Sometimes it's just the part of the country you live in, some have gotten those usb fans and plugged them in the front and forced more air through.

I wonder, have you Remote Desktop-ed in and checked your cpu usage? Maybe you have something that is keeping the CPU pegged which would cause more heat for the whole system.
I upgraded mine to a E5800 and the temp went down some as it wasn't having to work as hard, I also got rid of twonky and use serviio now.
Twonkey was bad about pegging your cpu even if your not using it.

Hope your get it cooled down, Good luck.

P.S. To your question, I have not taken the back off, but I bet there is a you tube on taking media smart servers apart somewhere.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:37 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Close to 5 years later, it was time to go back in and clean the system, as it's getting a new set of drives.
It's amazing how dusty it was on the outside, and there seems to be an endless supply of very fine dust in the thing, but visually, there isn't much built up anywhere.
I would still have liked to get the rear plastic of, and cut away the garbage in front of the fans, but i can probably live with opening it up every 5 years or so.

Thanks