It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:35 pm 

I have a Hp data vault X310 that has stopped working.
The data vault can no longer be found and now the health light is solid red. I have tried the restore disk but that only gets to step 2 of 4 failed.
I have also tried to run the pc restore cd with no luck. With these 2 options failing i took it to a PC repair place and they retrieved my data from the hard drive but said they can not get the data vault back up and running.
The repair shop replaced the hard drive with a sea-gate 1TB but could still not get into the system to re install the operating system. They said they have no idea how to get into the flash drive part to fix or over write the operating system as it wouldn't let them access it.. I'm now have a data vault that is no longer operational.
I would really like to be able to salvage this data vault as it belonged to my deceased husband.
If someone has some advice i would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have never tried a x310 but I have a ex490.
Recovery should be similar.
Meaning you use a paperclip to insert in the tiny hole in the front right when you power it up.
Even though the process is slightly different.
But still you should connect the server directly to the pc and reboot both server and pc.
meaning eliminate any devices(router/switch/hub/modem) between the two.
try:
http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/c01876160.pdf
for reference.

But anyway the first question every one will ask is what is the model of the new segate drive?
If it is advanced format it will not work with the old operating system.

The pc restore disc is only used in your personal computer to restore a backup to the pc from the server.
Not the other way around.

BTW,
The solid red means a drive has failed and probably is the system drive.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:49 pm 

Thanks for replying to me Ruben,
Also thank you for the manual.
I have tried using the paper clip and rebooting the Pc and data vault but still only get to step 2 of 4. I also have the data cable going directly to the PC. I tried all of these before taking it to repair shop.
The seagate drive the repair shop put in i told them to remove it as its no good to me if the data vault still was not working. So they put the old drive back in to it.
Does you have suggestions as to what brand of hard drive will work with the x310?

Thanks again Ruben

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:09 pm 

Hi Janny,

Your x310 uses the exact same recovery procedure as the LX19x, EX49x and x510 using what is called the TFTP method which can be touchy at best as many early users of the EX49x models found out and reported exactly what your reporting.

Kindly review the information contained on the sites WIKI in the following link and see if this helps you out:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... _and_EX495

Also it maybe helpful to boot the computer your using to recover the server into Safe Mode with Networking as this will eliminate a lot of things which can cause a conflict with the recovery process.

Last thing I would like to mention is that I own 2 of the x310's one is fully functional, and the other is basically impossible to get a recovery to work on but functions quite well if I move the drives. This has prompted me to want to create a USB Recovery Flash Drive to see if it will resolve my issue. Now if I can get a USB Recovery Flash Drive to work then I would be more then happy to send you one to try out. Thing is my work schedule is a bit intense in that I will not be able to get to it until the weekend of March 14th but if I have some free time before that I will try to get it done. Maybe if I take a break from the forums I can get it done sooner and test it out.

Let me know how you make out. I also have another server that I am retiring very soon that has a small compliment of hard drives. Since the hard drives have very little value to me I would also be willing to perform a Factory Install on one of them and send it out so that you can pop it in your server and install the client software onto one of your computers to verify the server is functional. Then you can either configure the server or put the drive to the side for future troubleshooting of your x310. Either way lets just see if your server is functional and go from there.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:21 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Also if they re-installed the old drive. you are back to square one.
meaning you probably have a bad drive and it COULD possibly be the system drive or it could be one of the other pool drives.
when shopping for a drive you want a non advanced format drive.
without going into all the jargon.
most everyone here has good luck with the western digital red drives.
It is advanced format but it has firmware to auto align the drive to your needs.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:24 pm 

Thank you Ruben and Comp1962 i got the Data vault back up and working. I just having trouble networking them as that is not my strong point. I am still going to purchase a new hard drive for this data vault though as it may go down again at any time. I have been told to not purchase a AFT drive but a drive that is 512 bits and nothing over 2 TB. Do either of you know if they still sell these kind of drives and what would be the best one to buy without trying to get the spec sheet on them all? I live in Australia so suggestion would be great.
Thanks again for your time on this post.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:31 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

as I stated a wd red is a good choice and is plug and play.
newegg has a 1tb drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822236342

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:20 am 

The Western Digital Red Drives are quite popular for use in servers like the x310. Drives listed as 512e will work as well as they emulate the 512b sector size.

The frustrating thing in all this is that many drives are backwards compatible but do not actually specify how that compatibility is achieved. The safe bet is to stick with the drives which are known to work well with WHSv1 which is what your x310 uses for its operating system.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks