It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

OK so the Hard Drives have arrived and so has the memory and the CPU.

The backup process has begun!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:19 pm 

Can't wait to hear what your impressions are. I know the E5800 is a very nice processor so much so I have been buying them when the price is right. I really think your going to like that processor way more then the E5200 you were running. All in all I think you will have a very nice server to buy you a lot of time until you can figure out what you need and then you can tackle building one hell of a server down the road. Who knows maybe you will run both servers like many of us.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:47 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have a feeling i will enjoy it!! backing up is taking a while but theres alot of data.

I have noticed that i have only 5GB space remaining on my C: drive is it worth or possible to have a larger partition for my OS drive?

whats the best plugin i can use to monitor my drives?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:03 pm 

The best ADD-IN to monitor your drives is HomeServerSMART: http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/HomeSe ... c.html#all

Personally I never messed around with the C Drive Partition Size. It could be filling up with log entries so you can review the logs and then delete them. The smaller that partition gets the more sluggish your server will become so cleaning up the logs should free up quite a bit of space for you.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:07 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks will check that out. im still backing up data its taking forever i think the faulty drives are slowing things down! im hoping that tonight will be the last night and i can start the CPU upgrades tomorrow

RE the OS Partition i have found this

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/forum/thr ... t-Success/

UPDATE: CPU Upgrade done seems to be running ok still have the origonal drive installed not restored yet wanted to do all the hardware updates first.
Im getting an idle temp of around 42 degrees (Arctic Silver thermal paste) where as the original used to idle at 35 degrees hope that when a load is put on it doesnt overheat.

Im really surprised that a copper heatsink wasnt used this one looks really poor and cheap. next is the memory upgrade. (going to run memtest on it first in a rig to make sure no errors..)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:23 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You have a load on it now, that is why it is running at 46, when everything settles in it should run about 34-36.
You will want to vac/blast it out every 6months or so to keep it clean and cool. I checked the back of mine this weekend after running 4 months, wow, it fills up fast with that fine dust.
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:40 am 

I blow mine out every 2 weeks because my home is a dust magnet regardless of how frequently I change my HVAC Filters. My primary WHS-v1 server always runs very cool but the filters on the fans and the enclosure we caked up and removal was a PITA. Actually I have just been blowing out the fan and component area for years and forgot there were filters on the fans. So these will get pulled every two weeks too but having in my case to remove the PSU is a bit of a pain but necessary. I would not have noticed this had my hard drive temps raised higher then usual hitting 45c when they are typically 27-35c.

This of course is not an MSS Unit but for my MSS Units I typically will blow them out every 2 weeks and will disassemble them every couple months for a total cleaning. The fan area is especially important because the stuff that can collect between the fans, cage and plastic cover. Taking it apart allows me to get at the PSU to blow it out to make sure its totally dust free.

Now the EX470 I have at work is in basically a very clean environment and so I only have to clean that a couple times a year. If I were still living where I was in MA I know my servers would require less frequent cleaning.

How often you actually clean your servers will depend upon your environment.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:21 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Unless you live is an extra clean environment, i would say cleaning at least once a year would be a safe bet.
I normally check about 6 months +/- and they need a good deep blast-en.
I try to vacuum the outside off at least every few weeks.

Good luck and enjoy your newly upgraded rig, the exta speed is always nice. :banana:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:35 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi Guys

so i have successfully upgraded my CPU (decided not to put in the extra memory) and its much quicker.

I have put in 4x2tb WD RED drives and yes they are not as fast as 7200rpm drives but they are not as slow as your average 5400rpm drive either so im really impressed with them and boy are they quiet..

It took a wile to get the server restored and fully updated but its now running sweet hoping i wont have to touch it in a while now.. all my data is back on and im happy. good call on the CPU upgrade!

RE: the CPU temp its at 42 degrees on idle but when i use something like HWMonitor one core runs as 36 and the other at 42 so WHS displays the Highest i guess.. (am i looking at a faulty cpu?)

but other than that im happy im in a fairly dust free environment have a strict cleaning regime (abit of a clean freak here)

I also have a Dell 2950 running ESXI which i love to play with!!! hopefully one day i will have a super server all in one that i can do everything on!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:56 pm 

To be honest I am not certain which core WHS is showing on the server. It use to show both cores then some update came in and then all MSS unite started only showing 1 core. I use Core Temp to show me the CPU Temps.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks