It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:50 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Since i purchased my x510 its been running flawlessly with 4x1tb drives that came shipped with it (seagate drives).
with these drives i get around 100mb/sec transfer speeds when i copy data to it.
my drives are now showing signs of wear and one has failed and the system drive is on its last legs.
I have been reading a lot over the past few days and think i have decided to replace all of the drives with 4x2tb WD20EFRX drives and start fresh (my data is all backed up!).
all this reading has lead me to see that there have been many of you with mixed impressions of the reliability and performance of the WD REDs (which is why i would just replace all 4 with the same drive).

So saying all that my questions are:

is this wise?
will i get similar performance?

thinking further:

am i better installing WHS2011 (Ive seen somwhere its possible i think correct me if im worng)
does WHS2011 have the same issues with AF Drives?
what are the Upsides to WHS2011?
will i then need stablebit drive pool software?
if i install WHS2011 can i go back to stock if need be?
What will happed to all the HP software and updates?
what will happen to the lights on my server?

Hope i have asked the right questions and hope somone can help me!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:19 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

well there were some bad wd red drives at the onset.
But mine work fine. Using a ex490

Some say they are a little slow but it is a server.
Now I do use a wd black for a system drive but you need to be sure that it is or is not a advanced format.
Also the wd black does get hot.
I just ordered two more 2TB reds and will place the red back as a system drive and replace a failed pool drive.
Leaving the wd black for other uses.

But anyway I tested a wd red for a system drive and it works fine also.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:03 pm 

Hi sohail579,

You should contact Gardian, he has a couple X510's running with RED Drives running the original x510 software and he can confirm for you how they are working out for him. He has a number of posts about this too that you can look for in the forums. On another note he has also installed WS2012E which is not WHS2011 and he can tell you about that and the lights.

What I can tell you is that with WHS2011 you will not have any issues running AF Drives and with WHSv1 which your running now any AF Drive listed as compatible with and older OS like Win XP or is listed as 512e will work well with your server as it is now. However if your looking at WHS2011 you will have to figure out how your going to manage your data and Stablebit Drive Pool works very well and some would argue that Drive Bender works better but I have only used Stablebit Drive Pool and all I can tell you is it works well for me on both WHS2011 and WS2012E.

As for the x510 the lights will not function until you install a driver and the correct INTEL RST Driver and there is information in the forums on doing just that.

As for installing WHS2011 onto your x510 or any MSS or DV unit I would highly recommend a DEBUG Board and external optical drive but you can install it blind and with a USB Flash Drive but my way of doing it simplifies the process but is also the more expensive and less frustrating approach to getting WHS2011 installed on your server but much has already been written in the forums and in the GUIDES areas to help you get it installed on your server without the DEBUG Board.

While the x510 has an E5200 which will run well the E5800 is a much better processor to use and will run much cooler then the E5200. I just recently upgraded an EX490 which has the same motherboard as the x510 and was very impressed with the CPU Change and its not an overly expensive CPU and throw in a 4GB stick and you will have a very nice server to play with.

Of course you may find it better to just build a new server one that can accommodate your growing storage needs to be a better investment of your funds and you can finance the new server by selling your x510 but this is up to you. I will tell you that with WHS2011 and Stablebit Drive Pool you can use 4TB drives. I would also recommend you add a dedicated drive for the OS Backup to make server recoveries a breeze and this drive can be added externally to save your drive bays for your storage pool drives.

While I do like WHSv1 and still use it today for me as I move on to other solutions I know that in the next year or two I will only use WHSv1 to support my older client backups and when they retired then so too will be my WHSv1 servers but they will be just added to my collection of servers something most would not do but I have a fondness for them so I have a special area reserved for my older servers which I will not part with.

Good Luck and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to share them.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:59 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the information...

I have dropped Gardian a PM to check out this thread hopefully he can provide his insight.
I’m liking the Upgrades of CPU and RAM i can pick up a cheap CPU (E5800 as recommended) and Stick of RAM (Integral 4GB 800Mhz DDR2) im currently looking at on an auction site (not sure if im allowed to say where).
rather than getting a debug board have read its simple to do without. but i really like the idea of installing the OS on a single external drive would this be through the eSATA? could i use a 2.5" HDD? any links to show how? are there any performace implications?
i am steering towards WHS2011 as i purchased a copy when it was on offer and its just sitting around since an have read a lot of good stuff about stablebit. and have found a post with the HP Drivers for the lights.
The reason i don’t wish to build another server is that this serves my purpose its small and quiet and all i use it for is to stream media and backup documents, pictures etc..(don’t even do full PC backups).
RE the 4tb drives will they just slot in or is bios modification required?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:43 pm 

As for the System Drive you would still use the bottom bay the mention of the external drive for the OS was for a BACKUP Drive for the OS to save on drive bays. WHS2011 when set properly will backup the OS Drive twice a day. You can also perform a manual backup as well but a dedicated backup drive is a much better solution and it could be USB or eSATA connected.

The 4TB Drives should be used for your storage pool drives. Do not attempt to use on for the OS in fact many will indicate they are for data only and not to be used to boot a computer. No need to modify the BIOS to use them. When you set them up they will have to be setup GPT then formatted through disk management after that you can add them to your storage pool though Stablebit Drive Pool or Drive Bender or used with your choice of a storage solution.

The only 4TB Drives I have been using are Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM Drives and WD was kind enough to send me a 4TB Red Drive but I also have several 2TB Red Drives in my server.

What I found to be very nice about Stablebit Drive Pool is you can easily move the pool to another computer or server also running Stablebit Drive Pool. Last April my server was running WHS2011 and I installed WS2012E on it then I installed Stablebit Drive Pool and connected my pooled drives and it picked them up. I had to add in the shares and change some of the original WHS2011 folders that shared common names with the WS2012E OS before I could relocate the WS2012E folders to the Pool and I was up and running without issue so the data migration was a piece of cake. I am told also you can do this with Drive Bender but I have no experience with Drive Bender so I am unable to comment on its use. For me Stablebit Drive Pool works well so I have no need to seek out other solutions.

I will also mention I no longer use Port Multipliers with my servers but if you want to use one down the road make sure it works well with the larger drives before purchasing one because some do not like the larger drives for some reason and I have no ambition to go down that road as there are others who use them and are more then happy to share their experiences with external enclosures.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:09 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello, I got your message: I have 2 X-510 servers running whs v1.
1) My main server has the E5800, 4 gig memory and (2) 2tb red drives. 1 system and 1 pool. I have 10 clients a mix of xp, win7 32-bit and win7 64 bit. And I have 1.5 tb of shared data.
I would recommend the E5800 because it runs a few degrees cooler then the stock cpu and gives a little boost to the console and system in general.
I run sevriio to stream my movies/pictures/music around the house. Uninstalled twonky :crazy:
I have never seen the memory over 1 gig being used and I have the pagefile down to 1 gig just so it will use the memory a little more. I can not recommend the 4 gig memory upgrade as in my case it’s not being used. I have put a load on it and still only saw about 1.5 gig at most being used.

The red drives run cool, (the main reason I went with them) but it did slow the system down at first (when I dropped 1.5 tb of data on it and backed up all my clients for the first time, it was a little doggy for a couple weeks. But now it seems to have settled in and is not bad. With the CPU I think it is a break even over stock cpu and a faster drive.

2) My second server has E5800, 2 gig memory and (2) 2 tb hitachi drives, 1 system and 1 pool, this server has the same data (shares ) 1.5 data but does not backup any clients. I synctoy the shares from the main to this second server every 3 days as a short term backup. The Hitachi drives run fast, but warm, I get warnings in the summer from the SMART addin and I keep my server vacuumed, cleaned and they have plenty of airflow. This server is snappy/fast and still is not using all the two gig memory.

I have (2) 4 tb red drives that were formatted with a win7 pc as GPT/NTFS and I use them as NON-POOLED drives to backup my shares in the main server. I rotate one of these out every month or two, to an offsite location.

I like the reds, but they are a little less snappy but I will stay with them. I bought extra 2 tb reds for down the road and I will stick with whs v1 and reds till it’s full.. I will continue to buy some more 4 tb reds as well when they are on sale for down the road.

Comp1962 knows way more then I on 2011, I tried it and didn’t like it. Then I put win2012E on a EX-490 same hardware as the x-510 and it did use the 4 gig memory. But I could not get the lights to work, I got them to not blink but that was it and I used drivebender which is pretty bland, pretty basic.

Then I built a DIY and put win2012E on it. When I fill my main red server, then I will switch to the win2012E DIY with 4 tb red drives.

So, what do I think?
If your not transcoding or using your X-510 for a bunch of extra stuff, I would go full reds, I would stay with whs v1 and just upgrade the CPU to E5800.

If you go with 2011 then get the 4 gig memory and the video adapter so you can see what your doing and Comp1962 sold me on Stablebit over drivebender. I use stablebit in my win2012E box.

I have a third X-510 I am thinking about trying a 1 tb ssd drive for the system and use 2 tb reds for storage just as a test, but I have to save my pennies to get that ssd and that will be another story.

Hope this helps, I think the cpu upgrade will offset the reds being a tad slower and I like the low temps a lot. 8)
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:28 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

To Comp1962

Ok I see i thought you meant to install the OS on an external drive and use the 4 bay drives as pool drives only.

To Gardian

Thanks for looking at the post your experience has been really appreciated, and from what your saying seeing as I don't use the server for any strenuous tasks I will just leave it with WHSv1 but I will stick in 4x2tb WD Red drives.
I think that i will also get myself a E5800 as Used ones go really cheap here on eBay, a stick of 4gb RAM is hard to come by here and if you do find them they are really expensive and not really worth it from what you say but if i can find a bargain i will go for it for the sakes of it.

would like to thank you both for your input and I think later on down the line I may build what I consider the Ultimate homeserver but for now these upgrades should suit me fine.

do you know of any tutorials on upgrading the RAM and CPU?

Thanks again

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

There are some guides and some youtubes. It's kind of tricky, the 2 things you have to watch out for is the 2 tiny tiny screws that hold the front grill on, you have to get the correct phillips screwdriver or you will strip them out. Then the next part is when you unseat the backplane, when it pops up, hold your fingers on top of it so it doesn't come up to fast and break the caps off the board. Go slow and mark the fan wires.
This guide is for the ex-490/495 but it's the same hardware as the x-510....
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/09/16/a-closer-look-at-the-ex490-and-ex495-hardware/

Youtube, one of many:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jw7MJoL5UY

This guy didn't show cleaning the heatsink/cpu and appling good heatsink grease to the cpu before putting the heatsink back on.
I have a two stage cleaning solution then I use arctic silver heat sink grease. About the size of a large grain of rice and then something to spread it with.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:03 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks Gardian great links there hopfully my CPU will arrive in the next few days and i can install. would you say its qorth doing any stress tests on it before i install it?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:42 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Nope, It's a coin flip if you get a good one or not, all mine have been good.
Having a fresh recover will stress it for awhile :-( which is a good/bad thing :-)
You might need to boot it a couple of times to see the correct cpu.

When installing, go slow, becareful, always touch something metal to discharge any static, the heat sink will only go one way and tighten crisscross pattern to keep the heatsink flat/level.

But the two little screws and the backplane are the two this that can get damaged the easiest...
I have built many pc's over the years so experience may vary.

That backplane was tight on mine, I had two fingers on top and two fingers and hand in where the drives would be pushing up, the two fingers on top is to hold resistance against it popping up and shearing something off. Going back in is just a matter of getting all 4 little tabs right (back plane vertical and straight) before pushing it down into the slot, t5hat part was not bad.

Shout back on how it goes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

thanks for the tips Gardian will take my time.

on another note your server with all RED drives what write speeds do you get? ive never been a fan of 5400rpm drives.
currently i get around 100mb/sec with a 5GB file with 7200rpm drives

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:28 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have never really measured it.
I just copied a 1.5 gig mpg movie from the server to a win7 box it looked like it went up to 38 Megs, but it only took like 6 seconds. Seems fast to me.
100 meg, wow that would be very fast.

When I get some time, I want to try a ssd for the main drive and reds for storage and see what that will do..

Goodluck Let us know how it goes...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:09 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I doubt the 5400rpm REDs will match the performance of any 7200rpm drive i guess its going to have to be a trade off and seeing as i use it to stream media i thought it should be fine (heres hoping i can stream to more than one device at the same time). RE my 100mb i had 4 1tb 7200rpm drives in it and it used to fly!!!

Ive just received my CPU (E5800) and ordered my drives today (4x2tb WD RED model WD20EFRX) I know you said don't bother with he memory upgrade but found a bargain stick of Integral 4gb DDR2 800 RAM so thought why not!!

will keep you posted on how the install goes!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:21 am 

Your going to like the E5800 very much and it runs a lot cooler then the E5200 does so that's a plus. The Red Drives should perform well for you and they will also run cooler in your server then the 7200 RPM Drives. I have like 6 Reds in my server and to be honest its hard for me to know if they are slowing things down or not but I the server appears to run the same with them as before with them. I am down to like 17 drives in my server now but had 24 in there at one time. I started adding 4TB Drives and pulling older drives out to be repurposed elsewhere.

The 4GB of RAM may come in handy but the server will only make use of about 3GB of course there are some RAM utilities where you can put the extra RAM to use as a RAM Drive which is something I have not personally done with WHSv1 but if you can do that you can pick up some additional performance with the server.

I think you will do quite fine, so enjoy the upgrades! :sanjuan:

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

hopefully the CPU upgrade can give me a comfortable year or so after that i will look to build an ultimate home server!!

i recon my HDD's will turn up tomorrow and i can get going.

is it worth having a bigger C: partition? is it possible?

Thanks