It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:18 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I was watching a media clip from it, over the network, on my PC, when the clip simply froze. Had to kill the media player, and then i tried again. Same result. Tried another clip, which played just fine.
Tried the failing one again, and sure enough, it failed, at this point i figured it was the file, and ignored it.
Slightly later i decided to restart the X310 after a security update, and then the system just never cam back up. After half an hour i was starting to wonder "wtf?" so to speak, and went over to the cabinet to check on the X310. 2 solid "aqua" lights, and one flashing. No drive-lights, since the thing hasn't booted yet at this point, that is to be expected, i guess. LEft it alone for quite some time, and walked by it every now and then. There was a "tick-tick tick-tick" noise. After an hour or so of this, i gave up, and decided, perhaps prematurely, to restart the darn thing and see what, if anything, that would do. So i went with the "hold powerbutton until lights go off" approach. Waited a few seconds, power back on. Same result. Half an hour later i shut it down again, and let it be shutdown for a while. Power on, same result.

Getting pissed, and thinking "drive failure" i pulled the 3 drives not hosting the system. Power on. Boots just fine. Good, good.
Added the drives in the same order as they were in before, one by one, and the system spun them up, and lit the drive light for each.
Closed the front door, scratching my head and wondering the same thing as i was wondering hours before. "WTF?"
From my PC remoted in to the system, and fired up the "Windows Home Server Console" and went to checlk on the drives, and their health. 4x "Healthy"
minimizing the remote window, i went to the file area, and fired up the videoclip that wouldn't play before. It plays, but glitchy. That might be the file, or it's something else. Issue to be looked in to further.

Checking back with the remote window, the Windows Home Server Console has the icon to the right of Server Storage highlighted. It's a yellow shield, with a exclamation mark, and below it reads "Network At Risk" Click it, and it's the mcaffe "you ccan install this" and the ignore box is ticked, below it there is a "There are file conflicts" Clicking details there is a list of 20 files, none being the offending video clip, and all files seam to be fine. Currently generating checksums to be able to verify them with, but i don't expect issues with them. I checked the "help" link below, that didn't really tell me anything. I followed a link, and ended up here, but nothing seams to apply here?

To be honest, the drives in this thing is old spares, leftovers from everywhere, so it's not exactly a surprise if it's a drive crapping out on me, but, how do one diagnose what drive it is on this darn system?
Quite maddening. Right now it's running a the "for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /r %1" command, and so far hasn't found anything odd. I'm going to bed, but i'm not sure i think this is one of those problems that go away by them self over night...
Sadly. I'd be happy if it did :- )

Any thoughts at all on the matter is welcome.
B!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:51 am 

I take it your not running the HomeServerSMART ADD-IN which will tell you the actual health of the hard drives by reading the SMART information stored on the drive itself. You can download HSS Classic for WHSv1 for free from the link below:

http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/HomeSe ... c.html#all

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

As far as i know, it doesn't work with the X310? I have a possibly false memory of testing it. Anyway, right now it looks like the issue is that drive 3 goes ofline, possibly from overheating, since it's hot when it fails. I've been trying to "remove it" from the data pool, but i need to keep it cool long enough to get the stuff of the drive. If it fails, it fails, but i'd like to try at least.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:36 pm 

It will work because its designed to run under WHSv1. If you have difficulties installing it then you could be having other issues with your server.

What I have done in the past with my MSS where heat was a problem is I place a fan in front of the server to provide additional air flow. However is a drive is heating up there may not be much you can do to help it. Some which have initializing issues will get hot very fast. Drive removals from WHSv1 can take a great deal of time so good luck with the removal process.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:08 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm not sure what values are normal or not, or what to make of these:
Attachment:
SMART.PNG
SMART.PNG [ 167.28 KiB | Viewed 24104 times ]

At this point, feel free to suggest things, but i'm going to have to put this on hold sunday morning, so thats about 24 hours from now, since i'm going away for a couple of weeks. Seeing as it seams i can get most of the data from the drive, by keeping it outdoors at night, i'm pretty much emptying it as of now. After that the drive will be removed from the set, and replaced with some other drive, as i said, it's junk spares, and this one has been in here for most of the summer, i think it simply got to hot, and the signs are showing now. (It's been in there since April.)
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:16 pm 

After your server reboots it should display the information properly for you.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

After Reboot:
Attachment:
SMART.PNG
SMART.PNG [ 166.25 KiB | Viewed 24091 times ]

Apparently keeping it outside only does so much, it crapped out again after freeing up just barely enough space to make it possible to remove the drive. Going to let it rest for a few hours, it's 3 in the morning, so i need to get some sleep anyway.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:59 pm 

I would contact Matt over at http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net on how to properly troubleshoot the reason why your not seeing the SMART info on your server. He may have you turn on some settings and request you send him certain logs.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:58 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm wondering, did he click on [refresh disks] upper left on that screen?
And did he install the latest version:
http://dojonorthsoftware.net/HomeServerSMARTClassic.html#all

I just sent Matt a email about this, hopefully he has a fix. I could not have a server without smart :shock:
I even have the paid for version I use on my PC's just to make sure drives don't fail without me knowing in advance.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:14 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Gardian wrote:
I'm wondering, did he click on [refresh disks] upper left on that screen?
Yes.
Gardian wrote:
And did he install the latest version:
Yes.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:51 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

This will require you to use the full remote desktop, not just the server dashboard...

Please try downloading and installing the 32-bit version of WindowSMART 2013 on your WHS v1 box. The core DLL that actually communicates with the disks has been updated many times since the last version of Home Server SMART Classic came out. Yes it will notify you that it's a 30-day trial, but I want to see if WindowSMART, which uses the newer DLL, actually fetches the data. This updated DLL supports a lot more controllers and drivers, including the latest Intel RST driver updates.

I decided I was going to do one more "major" release of Home Server SMART Classic, which hasn't had an update in almost two years. It will essentially be a rewrite--originally HSS Classic was ported forward and radically overhauled to support WHS 2011 and later editions, and later evolved into WindowSMART 2012/2013.

Now I plan to "port back" to WHS v1--keep the HSS Classic UI you all know (and hopefully love), but bring in all of the new functionality like notifications on your mobile devices, support for SSDs, etc.

This will be a pretty big task, but I hope to get a beta version of it available in the coming weeks.

Matt

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank msawyer91 for this post
Gardian
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:15 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

msawyer91 wrote:
This will require you to use the full remote desktop, not just the server dashboard...
Not a problem, the sceenshots are taken from the remote desktop, so i'm already set up for that, if nothing else.

msawyer91 wrote:
Please try downloading and installing the 32-bit version of WindowSMART 2013 on your WHS v1 box.
I'll try and do that as soon as i get home.Right now that looks like Friday next week, sop hopefully i'll have something to show on Saturday.

msawyer91 wrote:
I decided I was going to do one more "major" release of Home Server SMART Classic, which hasn't had an update in almost two years. It will essentially be a rewrite--originally HSS Classic was ported forward and radically overhauled to support WHS 2011 and later editions, and later evolved into WindowSMART 2012/2013.

Now I plan to "port back" to WHS v1--keep the HSS Classic UI you all know (and hopefully love), but bring in all of the new functionality like notifications on your mobile devices, support for SSDs, etc.

This will be a pretty big task, but I hope to get a beta version of it available in the coming weeks.

Matt
A lot has happened over two years, a rewrite/backport is more then one could hope for. Heck, just showing up here is nice. Thank you for your time and effort, and i'll make sure to get back to the thread with some info on what it does.
If that helps you when doing the rewrite, great. If there is anything else i'll be able to do, shout.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:39 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The new version of Home Server SMART Classic is now available! It's just for WHS v1, and is being released as a beta.

Please see this thread, and also please let me know how it goes! viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13443&p=97837#p97837

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:46 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Still want me to try the 32bit WindowSMART 2013 first thing when i get home, or should i go for the new version of classic?
Going home in 2 days, will be home late in the evening, if i'm up for it i'll try it out at once, but more likely, it's happening Saturday... Anyways. Thank you for the update.

B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:35 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Went and tested HSS2013, and then the Classic Beta. This is what i got:
(Last picture also has Regedit open in the background showing installed .NET frameworks. Just to make sure we got all the dependencies covered.)
Attachment:
Pre-Reboot_HSS-32.PNG
Pre-Reboot_HSS-32.PNG [ 161.93 KiB | Viewed 23830 times ]
Attachment:
Past-Reboot_HSS-32.PNG
Past-Reboot_HSS-32.PNG [ 162.23 KiB | Viewed 23830 times ]
Attachment:
Pre-Reboot_HSS-Classic.PNG
Pre-Reboot_HSS-Classic.PNG [ 229.9 KiB | Viewed 23830 times ]
Attachment:
Past-Reboot_HSS-Classic.PNG
Past-Reboot_HSS-Classic.PNG [ 263.26 KiB | Viewed 23830 times ]

Then i went and tried to reinstall Smart2013, as i realized that there wasn't a shot with a drive highlighted for it. It won't show up in the add-ins "Available" for what ever reason. A number of reboots, a multiple of copies on the darn thing in the proper folder, and still, nothing.
Attachment:
Just plain odd.PNG
Just plain odd.PNG [ 185.38 KiB | Viewed 23830 times ]

At this point it's 1:35 at night, i'm giving up for now. See you guys in the mornin?
B!

Thanks