It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:20 am 

I will probably take a picture when I open her up again, The x310 has provision for a 2nd fan including 4pin power on the back board, though it is not monitored nor controlled, I simply mounted a spare CPU fan (slipped pin 4 - speed control off), used nylon screws & nuts to secure the thing. Now this fan has a 3 position slider switch (HNL) and I just run the switch to the back of the X310. I normally leave it in low but if I run a long transfer job, I would turn it up if the console starts to show high temp. Not really elegant but seems to help, I might just end up rigging something in the front to do a push/pull.

As for eSata enclosure, have you considered these? http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1357290977 They have 4 bay and 8 bay.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:50 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I haven't considerd those, partly since the EsATA thingy supposedly supports 5 drives, and i wanna make the most of it. I already have the case, thats aprox 2 inches to deep for my cabinet, so i either get creative with it, or throw it at someone. In it i intend to fit 2 of these and 2 of these in the case. I'll only be able to use one of the pair so to speak, but that leaves me a little to grow in to. I'll admit, i would have prefered one of the kind where you mount the port multiplier with a card bracket, and the connector is open out to the world, but i can live with this. I got a bunch of brackets with 2 EsATA ports in them, i'll make use of them. It means i lose a bit of the theoretical maximum distance between the units, but as it is now i would be ok with 60cm or so, and if / when i move to the ML350 & a more capable setup, it would be enough with a 25 cm cable between the units, so i hope that will be fine.

But yeah, looking at the numbers, i could probably have gone and bought a 5-8 unit EsATA cabinet with support for port multiplier aware hosts, and not have had paid a whole lot more. This is to be honest, a bit about "look, i made this" as well.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:17 pm 

I recently picked up a ThinkServer TS130 because Lenovo is dumping them, and I am setting this up to use as a WIN7 Pro desktop, so far it's working fine for several days but I have an intermittent HDD disconnect with one of the Segate 2T HDD, tried different SATA ports and still intermittent, so I think it's the drive cause the Intel AHCI driver has been out since May 2012.

At any rate, with my luck HW-wise of late, I picked up another TS130 and plan to build it out to replace the X310. In light of the lack of development in the WHS line and I think the 2008 R2 would be an overkill for my needs, I will probably build this new one using Win 8 Pro. Don't care for the interface (absolutely hated it on my ultrabook and RT), but ithe O/S does what I need in terms of a file server and backup.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:22 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Not enough drives for such a high power unit, but thats perhaps just my take on it. Good luck tho.
B!

Thanks