It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:54 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I don't have an X310. Does anyone know what type of disk controller is in the X310?

Try turning on the debug logging (accessible on the Advanced tab in the Settings). Restart the service, let it run for a few minutes then select the Diagnostics option from the Advanced button on the HSS Classic button bar. That will allow you to send the report to us via secure FTP.

WindowSMART 2013 is not an add-in and thus won't show in the available add-ins. Only HSS (old) and HSS Classic will appear there, just as they are appearing in your available add-ins list.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:40 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Um... First time around, it installed fine through the add in interface & i un-installed it the same way...
But i guess i could try and install it "from the outside" and see what it thinks of the world?
What it thinks of the world... It demands that i install .NET 4, and quits. As seen in the screens, it has already been installed on the system, and for what ever reason, i was under the impression it "only" needed .net 3.5. Things are just getting more and more crazy.

I THINK the sATA controller is "Intel 82801EB SATA" But to be honest, not sure. My google-fu is weak at 4:40 in the morning.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:23 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Home Server SMART Classic only requires .NET 3.5. WindowSMART 2013 requires .NET 4.

Both of these frameworks are available in a Client Profile and Full edition. Both HSS Classic and WindowSMART require the "full" variants of their respective frameworks. If you've installed the Client Profile variant only, then WindowSMART will complain about not having the framework available.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:40 am 

I just reinstalled my X310 from scratch over the weekend, also added in an extra fan to draw air out. I installed the Classic beta via add-in's and essentially had similar result - it sees the HDD's but there is no info reported in the lower window. Didn't have a chance to poke around to see what controller it was though.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:10 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Look at the screenshots i posted earlier. Is the first two from HSS2013, and if so, why:
A, did it install through the add-in section.
B, wont it install again.

If not, then it's probably the older classic version, but someone should be able to point that out, so i can stop looking confused.
As shown in the second "beta" screen, there is only up to .NET 3.5 installed, and i'll have to find, and install a .NET 4.0 if we can confirm that it's still of any interest to try SMART2013 on the system.
And disregarding all of this, SMART Classic BETA, as is shown, does jack all, and i have no idea why. I suspect the drive controller simply isn't polling SMART, and hence isn't able to forward it to any software. But thats just my guess.

Intel 82801EB SATA Should be equal to ICH5, but peeking through the logs on the X310 i see "129" errors (what ever that is) occurring after the failing drive craps out, or gets pulled, and these errors originate at... ICH9rmp
"The following information is part of the event: \Device\RaidPort0."
Odd, since the drive that got pulled is second from the top. It was the third drive in to the system, with only the bottom one installed during system configuration & setup. After which drives were added one at the time, with boots and shutdowns in-between.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

WHS v1 has a very specific way an MSI installer must be built for it to appear as an add-in within the WHS v1 console. For this reason, the original Home Server SMART and the beta Home Server SMART Classic appear in the Console as available add-ins.

WindowSMART 2013 uses a standard Windows Installer MSI package. WHS v1 would not recognize the MSI as an add-in installer, as it is not designed or intended for installation via the WHS Console. It is a standalone application, not an add-in.

HSS Classic (the beta) and WindowSMART 2013 share nearly all the same source code. Classic is compiled to use .NET 3.5, which is much more likely to exist on people's WHS v1 boxes. The likelihood of HSS Classic and WS2013 yielding a different result is pretty small.

Something you may want to consider is updating the Intel driver for the controller to the latest supported version. This may not be the latest Intel driver, since they've deprecated quite a few controllers in the last few Intel RST driver updates. However, I've seen quite a few non-working HSS and WindowSMART installations start working with an updated driver. The latest Intel RST driver or two broke a bunch of working installations too, because the latest drivers use CSMI calls to talk to the drives, hastening our ability to support CSMI.

Try downloading Crystal Disk Info @ http://release.crystaldew.info/redirect ... Shizuku-en and seeing if this yields results different from HSS Classic. Whenever I get ready to release a new version, I always like to compare what HSS and WindowSMART report relative to other tools. If I see big discrepancies, it's a warning sign to do some additional homework to be sure my software is working correctly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:39 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Not that much separating it from the results of your own app.
Yours at least see the drives...
Attachment:
CrystalDisk.PNG
CrystalDisk.PNG [ 25.03 KiB | Viewed 19947 times ]

Odd none the less, i guess. I went and tried some ICH9 drivers, but the system decided the current drivers were a better fit / more recent. I'm assuming that it's NOT ICH9 as a result, and have started poking about, trying to find ICH5 drivers, but, quite honestly, shouldn't they show up on Microsoft update?
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:18 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Check out this thread. Some folks have had luck getting SMART results on the X310. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9851

Looks like this is the version that they used -- try this and see if it works. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail ... ldID=17412 You'd want the IATA88CD.exe file.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank msawyer91 for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:50 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

That seams to have done it.
Got SMART info, whining about temperature, go figure. The drives are older then stonehenge, so they have more or less done their time already. But, at least i should get a fair warning before something fails next time.

Thank you for your time and effort.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:47 am 

Mr B wrote:
That seams to have done it.
Got SMART info, whining about temperature, go figure. The drives are older then stonehenge, so they have more or less done their time already. But, at least i should get a fair warning before something fails next time.

Thank you for your time and effort.
B!

Did you mean a different driver solved the display info issue or WS2013 did. I still cannot get my X310 to display info in the lower pane running the WHS beta.

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:41 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Driver.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:25 pm 

Mr. B., thanks for the info as well as comments from other users, I managed to install Intel's drivers from IATA88CD.exe . The installation went fine, upon restarting the X310, I had a network warning that the backup database had problem and suggested for a repair. I did not perform repair, instead, I restarted the X310 again, this time there was no database error but reported 44 degrees on my system drive.

At any rate, the WHS Smart Classic beta can now read the SMART info just fine. I have 3 HDD's, a 500G system drive, and 2x2T HDD's. Now that it is using the INTEL driver, the X310 front panel only has "1" lit up instead of the normal 1 through 3, is this normal? The Server Storage tab under the console shows all 3 HDD's and I have no problem in seeing the entire pool.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:09 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Yes, thats "normal" i also suspect that the EsATA isn't working as it's supposed to, it might allow a single unit, but no port multi. Cant verify this, since i have yet to bring home a multiplier unit.
B!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Mr B for this post
sclui56
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:17 am 

So far mine seems to have stablized though the primary HDD is mostly around 40-44c depending on load, while the other 2 are around 32-33. I have already added a second fan in the unit drawing air out in the back but I think the box does run warm, can't understand why they cheap out on not installing a second fan.

I am not too concerned with the eSata supporting only 1 device, probaby would not go that route.

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:31 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

sclui56 wrote:
I have already added a second fan in the unit drawing air out in the back but I think the box does run warm, can't understand why they cheap out on not installing a second fan.
Feel free to make a thread with a few images on how you did it, i haven't seen anything like that as of yet. Ok, admittedly, i haven't been looking a lot either, but still.

sclui56 wrote:
I am not too concerned with the eSata supporting only 1 device, probaby would not go that route.
I got 5 port multipliers on the way home, 2, with the intent of turning a 4U case in to a 2unit 5x3.5" EsATA enclosure. Will have a mate to simply cut it down with a bandsaw to shorten it by taking a section away from the middle, and then weld it back together. It was somewhat of a hassle to try and find a reasonably priced hotswap bay thingy for 5 drives to go with the port multiplier, but i think i managed to get everything together. Sadly, it's mailed to me from all over the world at this point, and the multipliers can be anything from a couple of weeks, to a couple of months. Cheap stuff from Asia.
B!

Thanks