It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:40 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm looking in to grabbing a defective (no network) x310, with no drives. For fiddling with it, seeing if the NIC is broken, or just got disabled and the owner just gave up, i'm hoping any old garbage sATA drive will do? I got like 8-10 sATA drives, mostly Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 in the range of 120-300GB, and a pair of 200GB WD's. If i can make the thing work, reliably, i'll of course be bringing new drives in to it, but for something i might end up not using, i don't want to start with buying fairly expensive drives. Whats everyones opinion on this. Would old low capacity drives work with the hardware?

As a follow up, i cant find any info on anyone using larger drives on these. As far as i know, the OS doesn't support 3TB+ drives, but, does the hardware? What i'm trying to get at, if you feed it something a bit more entertaining, can you go 12TB+ in a x310, and possibly another 15TB+ in a EsATA enclosure?

Feels a bit daft to go this route, i got a Proliant ML350 with 2 X5460 CPU's, 32GB RAM, and a 8 drive SAS drive bay, with the 128MB BBWC RAID 5 option. Pretty much the only thing it doesn't have is EsATA. What motivates me, is the bill i have to pay to run the Proliant as a mediaserver. Just powering this thing cost a x310 a year. And it gets hot in here during the summer. No. It's not that fun. It was fun when i got it for peanuts, and a handshake, but now, i'm not so sure anymore.
B!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:07 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I know others will correct me if I'm wrong, but the BIOS should support drives larger than 2 TB. The primary concern is the operating system, which can't be WHS v1. Good luck with your project!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:20 am 
Founder
Founder

Those old SATA drives will work fine. Here's more discussion on 3TB drive support. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9238

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:09 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'll pitch in, yes use the bigger of the old drives for the system and give it a shot. The network settings for the most part are in the OS, so if that's the problem, a fresh load will bring it back to life. Even if the nic is bad, Look for COMP1960 threads on installing a usb nic and getting it working, I know he has done it a couple of times.

The hardware will support 3-4 tb drives as far as I know, if you installed a newer OS but you would want to get the VGA cable so you can see what your doing. There is some voodoo you can do to get 3-4 tb drives to work in WHS v1 but I don't think I would trust my data to it. I believe you could use the bigger drive in the external's partitioned but I don't have larger drives so would defer on that.
You can have 8tb in the box and 100's of tb external via usb and esata. But when you move outside the box it creates more fail points.

Power wise there is no comparison as you already know, these little guys can get hot depending on what drives you use but it can be managed pretty easy.
For a freebie it would be good, but if you have lots of data and would be outside the box in externals, I would be tempted to go DIY, there are a few nice builds in that thread of all sizes. If you can get it working you could sell it to get a down payment on a bigger build maybe.
Goodluck on your adventure and I hope it works for ya.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:27 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Ended up sticking a stack of 200GB drives in this thing, and it pretty much took of running. I'm having it do some random tasks for me, making sure it works as it's supposed to, after which i'll either migrate my drives from my ReadyNAS, or buy a bunch of new drives, i haven't quite made up my mind.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:23 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Cool! Glad to hear the Nic was good and I hope it checks out for ya. I would guess if it runs for more then a few days without problems, then it might have just of been a oops on the os setting. Good Freebie. :banana:
When/if you decide to go with it, I have used 1 and 2 tb drives for the Main (bottom drive) some like to keep the os drive small but I like to have the extra room. That way you can have the full 8 tb inside the box, 4tb with duplication on is a lot of data. It would last for a while, if you plan on ripping a lot of movies or something like that, then something bigger down the road would popularly be better.
The best thing is you have found an awesome place to find help and info on the little dudes :mss:
Good luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I've got a ReadyNAS NV+ (v1) with 42TB drives in, that i was hoping to start using as more long term storage, and use the x310 for the more primary needs, hooked to the TV, for video, and such. And on that topic, i haven't tested if my TV can reach it at all. Guess thats one of the adventures still to come.

Anyway, i've come to realize these really don't like heat. So far haven't figured out what gives, but yesterday it crapped out on me, and simply stopped responding. Right now it idles at 52c. I don't have any drive temps, but CPU alone should be lower at idle, so i'm going to tear in to it, and see if there is anything i can do about the temp. Hopefully it's a bit dusty, and needs a hand, otherways i'll switch to a bit more effective fans, and live with the noise. I couldn't hear it unless it starts hovering anyway...
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:05 pm 

Welcome to the world of passive cooling where there is no fan to cool the CPU. I had to jog my memory on the X310 so I read Alex's Review on it. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/06 ... ata-vault/

One of his pictures show the CPU at 55c and I am not sure how much load was on the unit he reviewed. The shut down could be heat related so checking the FAN out would be my first order of business as well as a good cleaning. The other potential culprit might be a failing PSU or if the fan in the PSU is not working the PSU might also be overheating and shutting down for that reason so checking the PSU out would be a good idea since you would have to disassemble to the unit to properly clean it.

If you need help with disassembly and information on the PSU let me know and I will try to point you in the right direction but a site search will help you find the information you may require.

You may also want to check the specs on the CPU to see what temperature ranges it can operate within.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:29 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

The Intel Atom D510 (thats supposedly what in these things.) should manage to be boiling hot. Really. 100C. I don't care, i'm going to figure out how to pull this apart, and go through it with a microscope. It might not be the CPU that overheats, but i'm fairly certain something did, since it went entirely unresponsive, and all the lights remained on. Pushing the power button is supposed to make it shut down, but that did nothing att all, i ended up having to keep the button pressed to force a shutdown, which did work. and after that it booted straight up, and have run nicely since. It's not been quite as hot here at home, and i haven't been here, so i haven't been pushing it, trying to make it fail.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:24 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yes, the 310 has the atom, I have the 510's and have found the E5800 runs about 36c.
Yours would just about have to be fan or blockage of air flow. (assuming all the drives are good).
I see [overtek_psu_for_u] is selling the power supplies on ebay again, if you do need a PS I would get one of theirs, I have one setting on the shelf, just in case, Well worth the 80 bucks.

These things most often are airflow/drives/power supply. Hope your able to cure it.
Goodluck

Thanks