It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:45 pm 

I have a Data Vault X510 with a single 1TB disk, which I use mainly for automated backups of my family's PCs. The home server runs only for about 1 to 2 hours per day.
Some weeks ago, the backups started to run slower and now even fail some times. After installing the Home Server SMART add-in, I found out that the disk seems to be in a bad shape (bad sectors).

So now I have some questions about upgrading my system:

I thought about buying a western digital red with either 2 or 3 TB. But I think I remember reading about some problems due to the 4K sectors.
--> So, can I put this disk into my system, or should I look for something else?

If possible, I'd like to upgrade the operating system as well. Windows 2012 Essential seems to be too expensive, so that means either WHS 2011 or sticking to the original WHS.
--> Can I install and run WHS 2011 on my system?

And last question: is it possible to transfer the current backups to the new system? (this is not very important, as I can just keep the current disk).

Thanks a lot for any help.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:42 am 
Founder
Founder

Site search will turn up lots of discussions on all your question.

You can clone your drive to a new drive.
viewtopic.php?t=6826

Information on Advanced Format drives, and also about the WD Red drives:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/12 ... me-server/
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12573

How to install WHS 2011 on your server, and there is plenty of discussion in the WHS 2011 forums:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/04 ... rt-server/

You can keep your current backups if you stay on WHS, the backup DB is not compatible with WHS 2011.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:51 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My 2 cents, stay with WHS v1 it is just a lot easier to deal with then WHS2011 and you will be able to keep your backups.
I am using the red WD drives in my x510 with no problems (plug in and go) I got 2 of the 2TB and 2 of the 1TB. I will be using one of the 1tb reds for the system drive, 1 of the 2 tb reds for the pool and the other 1tb red for a non-pooled for shares backups. Reason, they are running about 86f temps.
I your system drive is still good enough is the question.If so, cloning would be about the only way to go, unless you can backup the back database. Cloning is an involved process....
If all your clients are running ok and you can't retrieve your backups, then starting fresh might be a good thing. The drive that came with the server are not that great, you should get more time from something better.
shout out if you need anything and good luck.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:44 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

+1 WHS v1 on my X510 (july 2010)
I use WD Caviar Black 2 TB drives. I am no where near getting full and I back up to a Rosewill RSV-S4-X with 6TB of space.
- No issues to date. Running cool and smooth for 2 years. (I'm tempted to by the new HP N54L but must fight the GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

Thanks