It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:20 pm 

AbACUZ wrote:
great news guys... it started to freeze again :(

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. We are in the same boat, only I have given up on my box altogether. I have tried all possible things including diskcheck, defrag, casting spells using water from a holy well etc, etc.

Stopping to correct serious errors in products (errors that in my view should be easily solvable by a software update) makes me give up on HP completely. I will do my best to avoid that brand from now on (I will actually laugh the next time I see a HP product). I have never wasted so much time on a single product since the time of C64 and tape-loading of games :-)

Synology just got itself a new customer and my EX is for sale as soon as I have the data retrieved.

I appreciate all help from this forum and hope that all with problems get help somehow. If only HP would release the software for others to continue...

All the best,
Bjorn
(4 TB of data to copy in 15 min intervals. Me bored? No...)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:05 am 
Founder
Founder

It will likely be faster and more efficient to just recover your data directly off the drives.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w ... 573697777f

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:12 pm 

So i did a full surface scan , damn that took forever ,, the Seagate drive < ( damn it why did I keep that pos ) had a couple dozen bad clusters. now its running again ...

try to do a full scan on all your drives, it will take a long time , but it may make the server more stable so you dont have to go on that horrible headache that you are going through.

also go on services and stop all services that you are not needing. who knows it may help too ..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:35 pm 

I'm having the same problem. I took out the drives and hooked them up to another box. I ran chkdsk and defragged them. I've not hooked them back up to the server and the third light on the bottom is flashing. That's all. It's been doing it for about 30 mins. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:15 am 
Founder
Founder

Did you put the System Drive in the bottom slot of the server?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:13 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Bonkyboy wrote:
What makes me think this is non-disk related is basically the number of people who face problems with Windows 7 and any type of network storage, not only the EX490. They actually explain the exact same thing as what I experience. It worked 100% fine with XP, then moved to Windows 7 and things went downhill.

I think it's purely coincidence. My Windows 7 (and even Windows 8 beta!) machines work with WHS 2011 (and before that WHS v1 - well, not the Windows 8 since it wasn't out when I used WHS v1 but I digress). If anything Windows 7 has much better networking support than XP. WHS v1 is built on Server 2003 and WHS 2011 is built on Server 2008 - it doesn't make sense that there would be systemic issues with Windows 7 and those very popular and mission critical server operating systems. Home users often have issues and also are very adept at attributing their problems to the wrong thing due to inexperience or general lack of technical knowledge so I wouldn't read too much into what you see in Internet searches - especially when your conclusions don't make logical sense 8)

I concur with everyone else - it's a hardware issue of some sort and the likely culprit is the hard drive. Others could be your fan (stopped or slow) or power supply. If you just want to copy data off the drives, you can always pull them from the WHS and either install them in your computer or use one of the many solutions to attach a SATA hard drive to a USB port - docks such as the icydock is one way, interface cables that plug into the HD and then have a USB on the other end are another way.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:54 am 

I have an EX 495 that locks up...
all blue indications,
no response to control center commands,
no indications on network
and comes back after a power stroke.
I am running Version 2.5. I will try to upgrade to 3.0 and check for a bad drive
If I cant get there that way, I will try the other suggestions... Thanks

FYI... I have photos of my EX in various stages of being disassembled.
I am willing to share these free of charge...
Had to replace the front fan... $11.95 from Newark and an hour to replace it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:21 pm 
Founder
Founder

Most likely a failed hard drive, there's lots of discussion in the Troubleshooting forum on how to troubleshoot this. Create a new topic in that forum if you need additional help.

Thanks