It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:07 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
jimim wrote:
So if I have 2 drives installed with duplication off: Drive one is the system partition and the rest is for raw data but since there is a second drive all data will go to drive 2 cause it is available with sufficient space?

That is correct.

jimim wrote:
So if duplication is set to on with the same senerio what happens then? does the data go to drive 2 and the duplicate go to drive 1? or is it the other way around?

I believe it is the way you described -- but it really does not matter at all either way as they are on separate disks. THAT is ALL you really care about.

jimim wrote:
Question: so if I keep adding HDD then I pretty much can keep the first drive clean with only the system on it. which i assume is totally unnecessary.

That is correct. And that is why many of us recommend a THREE-Drive (or more) system. The data and duplicates go on two drives and if they fill up you have the extra space on the System Drive to use while you wait for another disk to ship!

Ah ha! :cheers: Now it makes sense when I was reading about 3 drive systems around here. Ok that is what I'm going to do. I'll just get 3 drives instead of one to keep the System Drive clear. That makes good sense.

Ok sorry but I have to just ask one more question now. . . so drive 2 will be raw data and drive 3 will be duplicate data. soooo they both fill up data will start to go to the system drive. . .now if duplication is still on will the system still write or will i get the not enough space message? i thought raw data and duplicate data can't go on the same drive?

thanks alot for all this help! It is starting to make real good sense!

jim

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:13 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
jimim wrote:

I really do need to get a cheap ol windows computer in our house. I have a nuvo grand concerto dist. audio system in our house and whenever i want to add something new to it or update the FW or make any changed to my scenes for my lights throughout my home I got to call Bob and ask him for their field computer. i know he doesn't mind but it's just a pain. so. . . if I was to get a laptop that is windows based what would you recommend? would a netbook from eeepc be enough or should i just get a plain ol' HP and at least have a drive in it for disks. with the netbook I wouldn't have a drive.

oh last thing. . . . security. i'm used to my mac's. no virus programs needed and such. do i have to do anything diff with adding the whs? just make sure my firewall is up?

again thanks alot! :mss: great place to learn btw! alot is wayyy over my head but that's ok makes me try harder!

jim m.

Netbooks are great but you will need to get an external USB CD/DVD Drive if you want to use it to perform a Server Recovery. Just make sure you get one where you can access the RAM and Hard Drive. Some netbooks require you to completely dissassemble the unit just to get at the RAM and Hard Drive. The EEEPC units come with Recovery Discs atleast the one I have did and a friend of my bought one recently that also came with the Recovery Disc. Its a real plus to have recovery discs on hand.

Thanks for that info. I was at BB this weekend picking up a CD and walked over to the computer section. I actually looked at a Asus notebook. not a netbook and the specs were real nice for how much it was. it was a windows 7 64 bit version, with 4 gigs of ram, a i5 processor that was 2.8 ghz (might have been 2.6 can't remember). it was only $500 and that would pretty much cover me for what i need it for. as compared to a netbook which isn't nowhere near as fast and would still need a drive like you said. deff more bang for your buck. i can get HP's pretty cheap from work so i'm going to look in that when i am at the office. the kid from BB said that Asus was a better company for service and support as compared to anyone else out there for windows based stuff right now?

jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:15 am 

jimim,

You mentioned a netbook and I just confirmed it would work. Now if you get something more powerful and get a Notebook with Windows 7 get one that has an HMDI port and connect it to your TV and use it like a Media Extender and let it pull your movies from your server and play them on your TV for you. Get one of those HP's and it actually comes with a Remote Control.

Now you get something more powerful then a Netbook that can be used for a practicle purpose other then Server Recoveries. Hey install ORB on your Server then take the notebook on the road with you connect to the internet and ORB and then you can watch Movies and Listen to your music all streaming from your Server.

Beware its adicting and it gets worse then you start reading Damians reviews and you get more motivated to do more and more.

As you learn more about the features and functions of your server you will fine new things to do with it. Also if your going to be adding Hard Drives you might want to invest in 2 TB Drives the prices are comming down on them and it makes more sense to buy them rather then 1TB or 1.5TB because if you really start putting lots of files on your server and fill up the drives you might end up buying them anyway and replacing the first set either after you have 4 drives installed on your system or after you add say a 5 drive eSATA enclosure to provide you with 9 drives total.

I currently have 8 Drives in my main server which is an HP Proliant, 4 drives left in my EX470 that is now just used for Client and redundant backups, and 2 Drives in another EX470 that I use to call my Test Unit. And the insanity continues but its all good stuff I assure you.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
 Post subject: !
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
jimim,

You mentioned a netbook and I just confirmed it would work. Now if you get something more powerful and get a Notebook with Windows 7 get one that has an HMDI port and connect it to your TV and use it like a Media Extender and let it pull your movies from your server and play them on your TV for you. Get one of those HP's and it actually comes with a Remote Control.

Now you get something more powerful then a Netbook that can be used for a practicle purpose other then Server Recoveries. Hey install ORB on your Server then take the notebook on the road with you connect to the internet and ORB and then you can watch Movies and Listen to your music all streaming from your Server.

Beware its adicting and it gets worse then you start reading Damians reviews and you get more motivated to do more and more.

As you learn more about the features and functions of your server you will fine new things to do with it. Also if your going to be adding Hard Drives you might want to invest in 2 TB Drives the prices are comming down on them and it makes more sense to buy them rather then 1TB or 1.5TB because if you really start putting lots of files on your server and fill up the drives you might end up buying them anyway and replacing the first set either after you have 4 drives installed on your system or after you add say a 5 drive eSATA enclosure to provide you with 9 drives total.

I currently have 8 Drives in my main server which is an HP Proliant, 4 drives left in my EX470 that is now just used for Client and redundant backups, and 2 Drives in another EX470 that I use to call my Test Unit. And the insanity continues but its all good stuff I assure you.

I'm sorry I realized the netbook would work like you said but thinking about it, it kinda makes sense to just get a regular notebook instead of hanging a drive off of it and not having full function (power and such) as a regular notebook would give me. i didn't realize notebooks were so cheap. . .well compared to buying a macbook pro like i use now.

so here are some questions:

1. should i deff get something with at least a i5 core chip or is a regular ol' core 2 duo or even a intel t4400 good enough for the speed I will need? regular work if needed on the server and for say streaming over the server if out and about like you talked about?

i was wrong this AM about the i5 for $500. it's a t4400 intel chip.

2. I'm messing around with the Mac version of orb right now. I can't get it to recognize my music files which are on a network attached drive (WD) on my home network. I have to play with it more later. I also DL the iPhone version to try when I get this working. That's a pretty cool program! Hopefully I can get it to work!

Thanks for all the help! I'm slowly getting pulled over to the windows side of the world! LOL

I think I'm really going to like this! Now I just got to call B&H and get it ordered!. I am going to go with 2TB HDD. Oh does it matter if they are WD 32mb vs 64mb cache? I say that cause B&H doesn't have any 64 only 32's so didn't know if I have to go through someone else for the drives if I needed. would be nice to get them from one place but if the 64 are better than i would just go through somewhere else.

thanks so much again!

jim

Last edited by jimim on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

jimim wrote:
. . . so drive 2 will be raw data and drive 3 will be duplicate data. soooo they both fill up data will start to go to the system drive. . .now if duplication is still on will the system still write or will i get the not enough space message? i thought raw data and duplicate data can't go on the same drive?

If there is room to store a file but not room on another disk to duplicate it you will get a message. At that point you either need to stop storing data, add a disk or turn off duplication for some folders. (You want to watch those disks if you are storing a lot of data and anticipate that event well in advance!)The duplicates MUST be on a separate drive.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:03 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
jimim wrote:
. . . so drive 2 will be raw data and drive 3 will be duplicate data. soooo they both fill up data will start to go to the system drive. . .now if duplication is still on will the system still write or will i get the not enough space message? i thought raw data and duplicate data can't go on the same drive?

If there is room to store a file but not room on another disk to duplicate it you will get a message. At that point you either need to stop storing data, add a disk or turn off duplication for some folders. (You want to watch those disks if you are storing a lot of data and anticipate that event well in advance!)The duplicates MUST be on a separate drive.

Cool! all makes sense!

jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:01 pm 

I have had ORB running on my server for about 2 months now. The thing about it will run when your server first starts up but if you RDP and then log off ORB will shut down. Someone mentioned that they RDP and then just close the screen out to keep ORB running. I first ran ORB on my EX470 which I had a Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor on so I would logon then rather then log off I would just LOCK the computer to keep ORB up and running. I do the same thing with the new server.

As for you not seeing your music on ORB did you make sure you selected the location where the music is stored and set it to be shared? Also when on ORB you would have to enter the AUDIO part to see the Music.

I am not over concerned with the music functions on ORB as I am with the Video functions. For music I use SubSonic which is installed as a Service on my Server. With SubSonic you can add as many users to it as you like. With ORB you can only have 3 accounts then you have to share your content on your ORB Web Page. I did not like the Web Page but I was able to add my videos to it and set them to private and then send people the link so they could access the movies without having to have an account on ORB.

Just watch out this stuff gets addicting and can be painful to your wallet in the process as with any addiction.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:18 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
I have had ORB running on my server for about 2 months now. The thing about it will run when your server first starts up but if you RDP and then log off ORB will shut down. Someone mentioned that they RDP and then just close the screen out to keep ORB running. I first ran ORB on my EX470 which I had a Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor on so I would logon then rather then log off I would just LOCK the computer to keep ORB up and running. I do the same thing with the new server.

As for you not seeing your music on ORB did you make sure you selected the location where the music is stored and set it to be shared? Also when on ORB you would have to enter the AUDIO part to see the Music.

I am not over concerned with the music functions on ORB as I am with the Video functions. For music I use SubSonic which is installed as a Service on my Server. With SubSonic you can add as many users to it as you like. With ORB you can only have 3 accounts then you have to share your content on your ORB Web Page. I did not like the Web Page but I was able to add my videos to it and set them to private and then send people the link so they could access the movies without having to have an account on ORB.

Just watch out this stuff gets addicting and can be painful to your wallet in the process as with any addiction.

I didn't have time to play with the program last night but this post got me thinking. . .

1. So when I get my WHS set up to use ORB I have to have a host computer on cause the program doesn't run on the server?

2. If that is the case you talk about ORB not running if you log out of the server? Why wouldn't the host computer just see the shares? I thought you can always see the shares of the server? Thought that was the point of having the server to always have you data available? So does that mean I will have to use a script to wake the server if say popcorn hour or iTunes needs to access files to stream over since that is where they will be stored? I'm confused on the whole log in and log out and having to keep a remote session open to keep ORB running. Or is the issue with ORB needing a remote session open diff than just being able for other services to access the shares? Or just that ORB gets confused if you happen to have to do a remote session and then log off that remote session? I hope this makes sense!

3. So then do you always need to have a remote session open to have other computers and services access the shares for streaming to them? I thought the remote sessions were just for working on the server?

thanks alot,

jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:14 am 

jimim,

First here is a link that explains how to setup ORB on your Server:

http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?t ... ome_Server

Where you chose to run ORB from is upto you but to run it 24-7 it has to be installed on a computer thats always on. Chances are your server is always on.

As for keeping an RDP session open all the time the answer is no you do not need to keep it open. Once you get ORB setup on the server you simply reboot the server and when it boots up ORB will start running.

How ever if you RDP your server and log off ORB has a tendancy to shut down so someone mentioned that they just Close the RDP window which logs them off but keeps their session open thus keeping ORB in a running State.

My setup is different then the typical WHS Setup in that I have a Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor on all my servers so when I am logged on to them I just lock the computer which leaves me connected and keeps the session open.

I would imagine even running on a computer other then a Server would pose the same issue with keeping ORB Active.

As for your Host Computer not seeing the Shares the real question is did you set ORB to see the shares and then have it build or refresh the data base so that it would post them as available?

What I can say about ORB is it works fairly well. I actually had it working on my EX470 with 2 GB RAM and the stock processor. Of course there were times when streaming video was not so good particularly when demigrator kicked in which really banged my CPU at times. Now with it running on my new server its runs extremely well but that server had duel AMD Optron Processors, duel gigabit Lan Port and only 1 GB of RAM setup but I will be ordering some additional RAM for it next week but its expensive so I will only be adding 4 GB at a time per processor between this month and next but each processor will only be able to use like 3.2 GB of that 4 GB RAM but it will provide the server with 8 GB and later when Vail Comes out I will add in the additional 8 GB to provide a total of 16 GB or 8 GB per processor and then I will contemplate swapping out the two processors so that the server will easily handle everything I can throw at it. For now even with demigrator running it has little to no impact on the new servers performance and that includes the video stream as well.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:24 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So if I install ORB on my server when it comes will that act as the computer that will always be on so I can let my other computers sleep when not home? Cause you said whatever computer it is on has to be on all the time. If on the server does that take the otehr computers in the house out of the mix? I hope so cause that would be the ideal setup. We are a all laptop house so no computer is always on.

So re: the remote session. it's not that you have to have a remote session on to stay logged on to allow computers to access shares?

Edit: So I got some pics folders from my WD network drive set to ORB. Works great. Works great on my IPhone also. Also got a few folders of music working fine also from the WD network drive. I didn't try the whole music folder yet.

thanks so much again! :mss: you guys rock here with help!

jim

Thanks